Thread: [Idea] Naval Story

Default [Idea] Naval Story

Hi there,

I'm thinking about making a mod :
    In this mod you would be able to be a captain for a big nation (England, France, Netherlands). You receive objectifs, such as discovering new places, destroying an enemy ship at the far side of the world if needed. (Inspired by Patrick O'Brian novels )

Time Period : 1800-1820
    6 turns per year
    Includes 4 major nations : England, France, Netherlands and Pirates.
    ALmost no new maps, just expanding the commercial maps and there wouldn't be any other map (india, america and europe maps deleted, so no settlement). There'd be a few settlements added, but impossible to conquer (your nation wouldn't have any city, and you wouldn't have any units maybe ?) and belonging to folks of the place (Philipinos in Philippines for example).

You get a mission at the beginning of your campaign :
    For example :

You start a british navy campaign :
    Year 1800
    At war with the following faction : France, Pirates.
    Briefing : You're the captain Arthur Folley, and you have to capture or destroy the french ship "La Galante" (something like a 4th rate), which has been spotted by fishers near Mayotte. With your new 24" frigate "Thunderer" you'd look for it in the East-African theater. Of course, movement's points would be reduced as well.
    ~~Maybe changing ship stats to give smaller ships a chance against bigger ones.~~
    Once your mission is completed (If possible, making ships way more resistants so fights would take long time) you get another objective and your ship is auto-repaired. After 3 successfull missions, you gain a better rank, and sometimes get a new ship.

This is just an idea at the moment, sorry for the language mistakes (i'm french). If there are modellers etc interested, i can lead this project (I have some administration skills, i can also do historical researches).

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Default Re: [Idea] Naval Story

Hmmm... so you would be like a vassal/protectorare of of another faction? There can be a system to implent this. But how would you get new ships? REALLY interesting stuff.

I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaneke View Post
    Hmmm... so you would be like a vassal/protectorare of of another faction?
    In fact you'd be french, english or dutch and complete your missions. If the player can be an independent "nation", that's cool too. The main problem would be how to add a "nation" without any city ... Or just giving it -200000£ at the begin
    The other minor factions could give you secondary missions in order to help you getting some better ship equipment or getting a higher rank faster.

There can be a system to implent this.
    Tell me more about this

But how would you get new ships?
    I'm not aiming at adding new ships, just changing their stats (decrease firepower or increase armor)

REALLY interesting stuff.
    Thanks

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

Good Idea
    But you create your own fleet, name your captain and ship(s), also there should be coastal cities, to supply your fleet
    Britain, Netherlands, France, and the Pirates is not enough
    Do: Spain, Portugal, Denmark, and Russia

Also you should have an option that if you dont like your faction and objectives, you can reject your missions and become a Pirate.

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

The main aim of this mod is to have a single ship to complete your missions, no way i can add coastal cities. Maybe having one ship at the begin and get a few more then, but i don't want to see players having a fleet of 14 ships against less in number/quality enemies.
    Naming captains could be really nice. Adding Spain and Portugal could be cool too, but Russia had no colonies and so for Denmark (except Island and Greenland, but that's not really close to Caribbean nor Madagascar, they had no fleets at those places). Rejecting objectives and becoming a pirate is cool too, maybe could add also a privateer option and your main objectives are to sink commercial ships.

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

Denmark had St. Croix until U.S. Purchased it
    Denmark also owned a few colonies in the Indian Gold Coast and parts of the West African Coast

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197