Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [ETW AAR] France - Napoleon's ambition a hundred years earlier

Icon1 [ETW AAR] France - Napoleon's ambition a hundred years earlier

[ETW AAR]France - Napoleon's ambition a hundred years earlier
    Lousy title, I know.

Hello everyone.

Here's my first attempt at an AAR and my second campaign in ETW. First one was with Sweden and ended in c. 1790, when CTD's started to get too annoying.
    I myself is an old-time lurker on twcenter, though I haven't participated actively in the discussions. I have played RTW and M2TW quite a lot, so I'm familiar with the TW-series. And English is not my first language, so please don't mind my spelling and if I'm not making myself clear, don't hesitate to ask.
    I'm planning to write a sort of diary of my campaign, rather than a novel-type text. I'm not a good writer. I also intend to point out bugs, CTD's, flaws, exploits, possible improvments etc. if I encounter them. I will try to provide pictures.

Hardware: Intel Dual Core 6600@2,40GHz (I'm too much of a wuss to overclock), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 2GB RAM.

Software: windows XP SP2, DVD-version of the game with USS Constitution-code.

Set up: I'll be using one of the best features in the game: windowed mode . Makes alt-tabbing fast as heck, doesn't noticeably decrease performance and gives me the option to write the AAR as I play. I'm hoping you people comment, criticise and ask without hesitation. If not, I'll probably give up this AAR by 1715 and cry myself to sleep.

France Long Campaign on VH/H is the ticket here. My earlier camp with Sweden on H/H didn't offer too much of a challenge. My only problem was money in the beginning, but that was before I understood how merchant ships work.

Aside from trying to recapture the main events in the campaign, I also intend to keep track and report of a single land unit's actions, just to see how much a single unit really sees action in a campaign. The unit will recieve some special treatment. It will never be sent on suicide missions, although I want it to see as much action as possible. The unit will be a line infantry, reason being that they are decent in combat, available from the start and no dying general is attached to it.

Introductions end here. Let's get down to business. *starts up the game*
    -------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: [ETW AAR] France - Napoleon's ambition a hundred years earlier

turn 1:

First task is to consolidate (if that's the correct expression) everything. Money needs to get flowing and the neighbours need to be pacified, by force or by diplomacy. Then, when the homefront is secured, it is time for expansion. Reasearch and technology shall also be a priority. The American possessions will get less attention. They are wast and undeveloped. It could get costly to fight for them and therefore I shall not invest too much money there. This might be counter-productive, as colonies could be excelent sources of income. Time will tell. Well, since I'm short on cash, I shall upgrade most of the assets to level 1 in America. I lack the money and the tech to upgrade stuff in Europe.

Economy: infrastructure needs to be upgraded. Absolutely essential. And pretty cheap: 2*1500 Francs spent in Europe. I intend to use maybe 7-10 turns to develop my provinces before going on the attack. Then, on the other hand, if a one-province-neighbour is without alliances, I might just as well march in there. The sooner it's done, the better.
    Upgraded a sheepfarm and a farm to level one in France.

Upgraded a couple of logging camps to level 1 for 2*800. The income will be 2*875 so the investment is quickly regained. Infrastructure in New france upgraded and a mine as well.

Of the few options I had for new trade agreements, no one accepted. Too bad.

Diplomacy:
    Europe: All major powers should be regarded as threats to me. Therefore I need to make sure that if one of them attacks, he will have to answer to me AND a bunch of others. Alliances need to be forged. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to establish an alliance network similiar to the one in Europe in early 20th centry. The result of that was a world war. Would be really nice to see all the others hack each other to pieces.
    A problem is that I'm surrounded by small nations that are allied to great powers. The just-walk-in-and-occupy-strategy may have to be forgotten. I cannot risk a multiple front war at this stage.
    Sweden and Spain are friendly. Let's keep it that way. Escpecially Sweden is in no way in my sphere of interest.

America: How do you keep the Natives happy? I have a feeling they don't like me and that they will attack me sooner or later. Probably sooner. The Iroquis are hostile towards me. Only if I had enough money to buy them happy.

Military: 2 or 3 stacks in Europe should keep any aggressor at bay; one in Alsace, on near Italy and the Mediterranean and one maybe in Paris. 2 stacks in America should be enough. But at the moment the armies are not a priority. Need to get the economy going first. Invested in a couple of in
    All European ships sent towards Afrcia, the American fleet towards Brazil. I need to get those traiding spots before the others get there.

Tech:
    I sent my gentleman to the university in orleans, france. May he teach and research effectviely. Knowledge is badly needed in order to gain an advantage over my enemies. I need to consider building another university, or maybe capture one. Knowledge is power they say. They say that money is power as well. And that time is money. Effectively knowledge is time
    Went for Empiricism. I intend to upgrade my school, and the 5% research bonus is also welcome.

Religion: I'll strive to have catholicism at atleast 90% in every region. When it reaches that, I'll pull down the churches in that region and build something more productive.

As for the unit I'm supposed to cherish, I've chosen the 1st Regiment of Foot, currently located in the fort close to Belgium. All the other units from around Paris are stationed there as well, waiting for an opportunity to capture some land.

off to the next turn.

A question: should I update existing posts or always post new ones? Which is easier for you?

Turn 2:
    Holland offering me 750 money and Ceylon for French Guyana. Ceylon would be a nice bridgehead for an invasion of India, and the 750 would be a nice little addition. Refused for now, they'll probably offer me that same deal again. I completly forgot my caribbean posession, so I'll have to check them before I give them away. They might be some real cash cows.

Recieved a mission to capture Michigan, Algonquin and Cherokee territory. But with what? I think i have 7 units in New france and that's it. Could be somewhat challenging to capture a large portion of north america with only that.

Economy:
    my income for the first turn was 3669. Not enough. When it's 10000+, I'll start focusing on other things.
    Found an undeveloped gold mine in French guyana. The Dutch tried to fool me!! Bastards. Upgraded it for 1600, will generate 1800/turn. Nice ratio. Upgraded the spice planatation in same region as well. Spice is at 21 per unit on the world market, the second most expensive after Ivory@32. 3514 income from trade atm. Let's see how that develops.

World market:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Military: How I would LOVE to march into Savoy, but they are allied to Austria and they scare me. Espescially since I lack a decent army. Maybe I should use next turns income to build some units and then attack? Could be quite a gamle though.

Turn 3:
    Economy: Income went up to around 5650. Good improvement. And all my building improvements aren't even ready. Looking good (knock on wood). World trade increased to 4379.
    Got a trade agreement with Westphalia for 710. A small investment, I believe.
    Built
    Military:Time to aim for Savoy. Ordered 3 line infantry and 1 Regiments etrangere. Those combined with the units I already have (1 general, 1 light horse, 1 provincial horse, 2 demi-cannons, 4 line inf, 1 militia, 1 coureurs de bois) should be more than enough to take savoy. Started to move the existing regiments southwards.

Diplomacy:Got an alliance with Sweden! Hooray for that. On the other hand, Sweden's enemies Denmark, Russia and Poland-Lithuania probably doesn't like it. Thankfully they are far away and not really of any concern right now.

The more I look at the map of Europe, the more I realise I cannot be friends with Spain for very long. I'm surrounded on three front by the: spain, Flanders and Lombardy. An eternal peace is impossible.
    EDIT: to my surprise I found 5 units in the south of France. I could've attacked savoyt ages ago

1st regiment on foot is on the move from the fort in the north to the Savoy border. Hopefully it will return home with honour and glory and stuff like that.
    Last edited by Kake; March 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM.

Mr Roet's Avatar Libertus

Great to see another French AAR, especially as the other has been stopped. I plan to play France as well, as soon as I buy my version, after my tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roet View Post
    Great to see another French AAR, especially as the other has been stopped. I plan to play France as well, as soon as I buy my version, after my tests.
    Thanks mate. Made you can learn from my mistakes

Turn 4:
    ... begins with Wurtemberg along with its allies austria and westphalen declaring war on me. The pros are that I no longer need to worry about Austria when I attack Savoy and that all my allies (spain, sweden, louisiana) joined me. None of them are great maritime powers so I don't need to worry about the navies. The cons are that I don't think my armies are big enough for all of them. But this is not the time to despair. Chin up, chest out and a firm grip around the musket should see us through. A swift attack towards the small ones should turn the tide. I need to act quickly before the Austrian armies appear on my doorstep. Now who to attack first? I think I'll go for Cologne first. That way I can continue eastwards to Stutgart when the austrians arrive. in addition I don't want the spaniards to capture Cologne from Flanders.

Military: The army that was heading south changed its course and entered Strasbourg. There it will wait for reinforcments from the south and then strike at the enemy.
    Got my new recruits. They joined up with the forces from the south. Together they will march to strasbourg next turn so that I can start beating up some Germans.
    Come to think of it, the Austrians don't have land access to me. Or at least i think so. That means I have free hands to teach westphalen and wurtemberg the art of victory.
    Recruited 4 more line inf in paris.

Diplomacy: Got an alliance with Bavaria. Now, hopefully they will stall the Austrians. Apparently though, they're not in the current war so they might act as a buffer zone in the future.

Economy: Started to build Military governors barracks in strasbourg. 3000 and 5 turns. I badly need more troops.
    Upgraded the workshop in clermont-ferrand, france. income will increase from 800 to 1400 there. Quite good ratio again.
    My roads were completed. Excelent.

Turn 5:
    The Hurons decided to declare war on me. Is very hard campaign map difficulty just that everybody hates you automatically even though the diplo window says their friendly towards you? I guess I'll have to rely on the passive AI now

Tech: Got my empiricism, now Plug bayonet. I need a military advantage. My investments in tech buildings have paid off already. All available researches take one turn less. Very good. Upgraded my college for 2500. Also recieved a new gentleman who was sent to orleans immediatly

Diplomacy: Apparently I'm blind or and idiot or both. Austria and Westphalia didn't join wurtembergs cheap backstab. It's one on one... and there will be blood very soon.

Military:
    Situation in Europe

Stutgart already under siege. I shall move all my units there so that there is no question who wins. The 1st regiment of foot is one of the besiegers.
    Bought new units in quebec and montreal. The Hurons might want to be taken seriously and I need to be prepared.

Economy: My fleets arrive at their destinations. I occupy 4 spots in africa, 2 in brazil. I noted that i've completly forgotten to build trading ships. Oops.

Forth to the next turn, where blood shall flow in great abundance.

Turn 6:
    Pirates attack my 4+1 (5th adm, 2*6th, brig + 1 sloop) ships in africa with 3 (5th adm, 2*xebec) of their own. The first blood will be on the highseas.

With a marginal margin I cross their T.

Events don't turn out too well. One 6th rate explodes and the other catches fire. Very bad.

All in all, it was more or less a disaster. It should've been an easy victory, instead I got my ass handed on a plate. Embarasing and costly.

The Hurons march towards me with a stack of 15. I sense some bad events coming up.
    Time for wurtemberg to be conquered. But that has to wait until tomorrow. Have to be social now.

Turn 7:
    I noticed that Wurtemberg is upgrading 3 locations, 2 have only one turn left. I will wait until they are complete. In that way I'll save money, and the time it takes to upgrade. The strategic situation allows for this. All their troops are inside the besieged city.

One good thing about ETW over other TW-games is that different buildings can be upgraded simultaneously. it was stupid when only one building could be built at a time. Now I can improve the governors house and the infrastructure in French Guyana. As for the north american posessions, I've stopped upgrading because of the Huron threat.Their stack is waiting at our borde. I hasn't moved for 2 turns now, a case of passive AI? As soon I have enough forces, I'll cut them to shreds and take Fort Sault Ste. Marie, Huron Territory.

Military: Started building 3 6th rates. Those pirates will get what they deserve. Still waiting patiently for first action on land. 1st Reg of Foot are certainly eager to beat up some Germans.

Noted that you can choose to see CPU moves or not. Good feature but I'd like to have "see Enemy moves". I'm not too interested in what's happening on the trade lanes etc as long as the moves aren't threatening me.

Tech: Got the plug bayonets, went for ring bayonets. After that I think I'll go for bigger ports so I can start dominating the oceans. The Pirates of the Caribbean (will someone sue me for using that ) shall be wiped out and my trade could use the resources from there.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Crimean khanate was destroyed a few turns ago. I guess it always happen.

Turn 8:
    Passive Hurons. My forces are growing steadily in New France. Soon I'll be able to stage a counter attack and with any luck capture Sault Ste. Marie.

Finaly time for the first land battle. I attack Wurtemberg.

I deploy traditionally, with a basic line, flanked with cavalry on both sides, cannon behind the line. The courers de bois and 2 line infantry on the left for any flanking opportunity. One of them is the soon-to-be-famous 1st regiment of foot.

Who said the soldiers are clones again? Here's a guy whos lefthanded

Fire doesn't bother these guys.

It's an uphill battle for me and by cannons are fixed and out of range. Casualties will be high. Too bad. But still, no point sitting idle. On my left the 2 lancers charge a group of armed citizens. Noted that horses can get killed if they charge over a fence.

The AI, although passive and more stupid than my left shoe, certainly can outflank and hit artillery in the rear.

Why can't I unplug my plug bayonets? And the different stages of the zoom on the minimap are bad. There should be more of them. The lances of the lancers are too short I think. Looks more like a club than a lance.

As for the general course of the battle. The enemy approaches one unit at a time. The get cut down quickly. Many units are hiding in building outside of cannon range though. I guess I'll have to plug and play I will have to take them out one by one. But first I'll cut down those 8 units that are hiding behind walls. The lancers prove effective. Nice charge bonuses.
    I charge all my line infantry against his armed citizens. 1st reg of foot gets its share of the fun.
    Armed citizens are no match for line infantry. Quickly, it all turns into a mass rout and the lancers get to cut down the fleeing ones. Harsh, but fun.

1st reg of foot get special attention. I send them to capture a building manned with 160 vicious militias. Wurtemberg doesnt have bayonets so I should have a considerable advantage in melee fighting.
    At 88 militias left, they rout. 101 brave men of the 1st reg of foot stand triumphant.
    Overall, an easy battle. 1st reg of foot had 59 casualties, while killing most enemies; 210. Well done, I say. Gained a chevron for the trouble.

The general's first name is very manly: Camille
    I have to change the general unit. Not becuase of the name (which is reason enough) but because the general in the supporting stack is much better. A real cavalry general with the traits Cavalryman and Riding master. The lancers will love him and I love the lancers so...

Wurtemberg is wiped out and I gain a region. Excellent. One step closer to being the master of the world. Westphalia should be shivering of fear. Savoy too.

Turn 9:
    Tech: I get a new gentleman in Wurtemberg by the very franco-german name John Law. He and the University in Heidelberg start researching Social contract.

Economy: Bordeaux becomes a new town, I go for science i.e. the school. Need the techs.
    Built some new units too. Soon I'll have a full stack in Montreal. I decide that the threat isn't that severe anymore and therefore I can continue upgrading stuff.
    I pull down the military governors house in Wurtemberg, I'll put the more economical alternative next turn.
    Last edited by Aradan; March 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Tiro

I love this AAR, keep up the great work. This might just convince to me to play as France first when I get around to buying my copy.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Good start, but more screens could be nice !

Turn 10:
    Ordered lots of new indiamen. I want the tradeposts up and running. My 1st and only real army, the one that took Wurtemberg, is resting and getting replacements. Then I'll have to decide who to attack. Westphalia or Savoy. I need a new stack, either way.

Turn 11: Got my school in bordeaux, upgraded immideatly, researching Basic Steam pump.

My tradeposts don't create new traderoutes. Why?

Turn 12:
    I'm concidering attacking Savoy. They have less forces than Westphalia and no allies other than Austria.

Military: Attacked a small Huron stack. CTD. First one so far. Reload.
    The battle is little more than a skirmish. My general along with 15 of his bodyguard are killed by my own Demi-cannons at point blank range. No more Fire at will.
    I wipe out 2 native horse units quickly but the rest approx 6 units cannot be seen. I fear I'm walking into an ambush...
    And indeed it was some sort of ambush, but they got a beating they won't forget. All but 41 natives get slaughtered. I feel like Custer.

Tech: got carbines and social contract: went for Naval shore facilities and canister shot. Bigger ships and mobile arty. Thusfar the people don't mind me having 2 schools in one region.

Economy: Excempted all the american regions from taxes. I want them to grow me new towns. it costs me around 2000 in lost income.
    The trade posts seem to be a little buggy. Pretty randomly the trade route is not set up at all. By moving the indiamen out and in again, until the trade route becomes visible, I manage to get the money flowing. Wonder how much money I lost.

Military: My army is in position on the Savoy border so I attack. They bring in Austria on their side while I decide to do this without my allies. I don't want to share the spoils of war with anyone. Stupid that you can't select only some of your allies to join jo, only all or none.

They have more troops than I but of lesser quality. Armed citizens again.
    And again, my own arty kill my own men. Annoying. One unit loses around 50 men this way.

Other than that, they bashed against my line but got routed and again an easy victory. It cost me quite a few men but at no point was it unclear that I would win. Lost around 1100 of 2100. Killed more than 2500 enemies. Gained some nice XP for my troops. 1st reg of foot now has 2 chevrons. 116 men survived the fight. It actually got of lightly. Some of the other regiments suffered as much as 135 killed.

Since it was the Savoyards who attacked me, I didn't get the province yet. But now I only have to attack and an autoresolve does the trick. Victory.

As for the buggy trade posts, it seems that the first trading ship that is sent to a trading post doesn't count. The rest works normally.... Now after a little testing, the "first" ship can be a warship in order for the whole thing to work properly. Am I missing something?

@Colin: Thanks. France certainly is a challenge since it is surrounded by enemies. On the other hand it gives alot of options.

@tuore: I shall try, starting now.

E

Turn 19:

The European situation.

Europe is stable. Austria is no threat since we don't have a common border. The Hurons on the other hand managed to sneak a 17-unit stack past my stack. Bugger. Big time. I'm too far away to catch up and they will be able to march into Montreal the next turn. Quebec as well if they choose to. I have to gather a full stack in Europe and ship it over

Turn 20:
    The Hurons attack Montreal, where I autoresolve (no point in loading a 17 vs 2 battle). Then the same stack attack my stack of 19. Looked grim at one point when my right flank started to rout under their cavalry charge. Luckily I managed to stop their onslaught before they got the chance to roll up my whole line. Heavy casualties but a victory never the less.

The opening shots being fired. And it seems like the Line Infantry with 139 men just got hit by my own arty. Again

The results.

I recaptured Montreal imidiately but they already had pulled down the governors house. Oh well, it's only like 3500 to rebuild it to its former state.

I upgrade my 2 shipyards, Brest, France and Louisbourg, Acadia. Soon I'll have 3rd rates. Then I can finally whoop some pirate behind. If not someone else has done it already. Haven't seen pirate ships in a long time.

[military:] I have begun to raise a new army in Wurtemberg. It will cover my back when the other army attacks Genoa.

Turn 20:
    What is this?!?!? Holland declares war against me. But their allies didn't join in, unlike mine. Hahaa, good riddance Gouda-chewing bastards.

Thank goodness for the half stack in Wurtemberg.

Tech: Got a new school in New France. They shall be researching square formation. upgraded it as well.

Economy: My income is still too low. I get around 6000 per turn, which is not enough to both upgrade everything that is upgradeable and building armies for attack. What to do? I shall have to think about that. Gotta take a break before my GF kills me.

Mr Roet's Avatar Libertus

Perhaps you should stop building schools, but raise more Factories/Farms/Moneymakers (Don't have the game yet xD). Looks like you have to fight the Dutch before you attack Genoa, remember they have regions in southern-America too.

@Mr Roet: Schools give me more research. It's true that I could have a greater income with money making buildings but the techs give a nice boost too.

Turn 26:
    No real engagements with the Dutch. One naval battle where I and Spain beat the dutch. it was 9 vs 9. I also captured Dutch Guyana from French Guyana. I think it will prove to be a real boost to my economy.
    I still chase the Hurons in Upper Canada. They once more marched into an unguarded Montreal, which led to a fight I won and the reconstruction of the governors palace. the Hurons pulled down a fur trading post and a farm. Won't rebuild them since the Huron threat is still a problem.

My first army in Europe is advancing through Flanders towards Holland. A little gamble maybe but I could maybe catch them with their pants down.

Diplomacy: I try to get peace with the Hurons and Austria. Neither accept. I got a trade agreement with Genoa.

CTD

Military: I attack a Huron stack

Nothing spectacular there. I beat them easily. However, I'm tired of the Huron raids so I think i'll build a fort close to the border and man it with a full stack. Or better yet, I march into Sault Ste Marie, as I planned earlier.

I also march my first army to Amsterdam. A lot of armed citizens again. Should be a push over. I begin the siege, no assault yet.

I see a 4 unit stack in bavaria. I attack with my forces in wurtemberg under general Camille. Any opportunity to weaken the Austrians should be taken.

The pathfinding and chevaux de frise don't go too well together. Annoying

Turn 27:
    Genoa declare war. I call in my allies, Spain has posessions in northern italy so maybe they will keep busy there. Savoy is unprotected.
    Because of this I decide to assault amsterdam. That will free up some desperately needed forces.

Again, no problem winning. Superior forces and numbers have that effect. I occupy Amsterdam. Excellent. I pull down the school in that province. The people don't like it at all and I don't want to risk a revolt. I've got better things to do than fight rebels. The rest of the Dutch provinces become pirates. That is Curacao and Ceylon.

Tech: I research pretty fast, I think. Four schools should made research speed 4 times faster, right?

Economy: Upgraded the mines in both Guyanas. More money, please.

Spain is blockading Genoas port. Nice to know that one's allies are useful.
    Last edited by Kake; March 20, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

four schools depenind on their gentlemen make the certain tech trees faster. not individually researching

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

What's up with your artillery? Are you placing it right behind your line or something?

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

What's up with your artillery? Are you placing it right behind your line or something?
    Based on one of the screenshots in post #13, I'd say that's exactly what he's doing... To be frank, it's retarded... You certainly didn't set up your cannons behind your own men in real life... Cannons (except howizters) are virtually horizontal, mate, what can you be thinking?

@Arquebus & IronBrig4: Yes, apparently I'm retarded, but placing the cannon way behind the line makes them lose their range advantage. But I guess there is no option. I need to be more careful.

@Hebrew_Hero: Yes, I meant what you said. Gentlemen increase the individual tech speed but being able to research multiple things at the same time makes it overall faster.

Turn 46: Little has happened until now. Westphalia declared war without reason, which I countered with moving my first army incl 1st reg of foot, from Amsterdam to their workshop in Munster. They attacked my stack, I won comfortably, but then they sent in another stack, and since my casualties from our previous engagement were above 50%, I chose to withdraw back to Amsterdam. I'm assembling a new stack in Wurtemberg. I also have a full stack in Savoy, to keep Genoa in check.

It looks like this atm

My main problem now is that I'm fighting too many wars at the same time. I don't have the troops to finish of one place in order to go on and take them out one at a time.

I'm wondering if my neighbours negative attitude towards me has something to do with the very hard campaign difficulty setting. No one accepts peace proposals or even trade agreements. I cannot win against the whole world at the same time.

The theaters are:
    Upper Canada against Hurons and the occational Quebec rebellion - 1 stack + 5 units.
    Genoa - 1 stack
    Westphalen - 1 ½ stacks. With two stacks I can finish them of and continue south to take out Genoa.
    I'm at war with the follwing: Austria, Westphalen, Pirates, Hurons, Prussia (sweden wanted me to join in and I want to keep Sweden on my side), Barbary states and Genoa.
    Allied with Spain, Bavaria and Sweden at the moment.

Economy: My citizens are real pissed off. I've excempted all the American provinces from taxes to calm people down. This affects my income a lot. Current income is around 10000/turn but upgrades are more expensive now. I also need to raise more armies and ships. What to do?

Bug: On the list of new ancillaries and traits, you cannot zoom to the guy in question as you can with new buildings. Annoying.

Religion: I wonder if it's worth trying to convert other religions into one's own. It takes alot of time and could be used to generate money instead. Maybe the Dutch could stay protestant and make me money instead. I decide to aim for 80% catholics, rather than 90%. Upper Canada is up in 99% so I destroy the church there.

Navy:I've gathered a fleet consisting of 8 ships and I'm sending them to the westindies to battle pirates.

I'm going for the Leeward Islands.

Turn 47:
    And now the British declare war. With no reason, again. Annoying as heck.
    I decide to finish of Westphalia quickly so that I can concentrate on other things. My 1st army march from Amsterdam and I assault immediately. Apparently their main stack is not at home, which naturally is good news.

A thing I'd like to see in battles is a button to make an infantry unit form up in three rows.

Other than that, it was again an easy battle. I liked my starting position, which included a hill for my cannons. My grenadiers performed well. They are real handy in melee combat and flanking.

My 1st reg of foot took two houses, both manned with 80 armed citizens, only 12 casualties in total.

I also noticed that the limber on the mobile cannons is buggy. When you order them to limber, they do so, but immediately when they are done, they unlimber. In addition, they fire even though I order them not to, and yes I've deactivated fire at will. Again, I might be missing something out, but seems like a bug to me.

Anyway, battle won. The grenadiers and 1st reg of foot were the killing machines. They all got around 200 kills and a new chevron. 1st reg of foot has 3 now. Soon I can start calling it Elite.
    Westphalia is out of the picture. One down. Very good, since it frees up two stacks. One will protect Paris from a British invasion (that will never come because of passive AI) and the other, 1st Army, will march south to kick some Genoese butt. Corsica will also be invaded. How else will Napoleon Bonaparte become a French emperor? (In reality France bought Corsica from the Genoa. Now you know that.)

Economy hits rock bottom. No income whatsoever. Argh. Some pirates are blockading my Caribbean port. My taskforce of 8 ships mentioned the turn before is heading there. The pirates are a real meance. Good feature, I think. Good as well that they took away all the "rebel" settlements of RTW and M2TW. They were completly pointles. All provinces belonged at all times to some faction. The rebels were just a sign of lazyness.

Being able to take loans would be a nice feature as well. Now my hands are tied since I'm out of money.
    Nicely enough, when I press end turn, I'm informed that bankrupcy is imminent. I cancel a governors house upgrade in America for 3000 in return. I also discover the reason to my lack of funds. The British are blockading my trading port in France.

Diplomacy: Try to get peace or trade agreement with all the possibilites, none accept. Bugger.

I capture Fort Sault Ste Marie and, I think, end the Huron threat. I also see an opportunity to march north with that same stack to Moose Factory, since Brits are being a pain in the behind.

The nice Swedes are blockading london. The British trade must be pretty hurt by that.

Turn 48: A small British stack consisting of four units come marching down from Moose Factory. I intercept them with five units from Quebec. Now, if Fort Sault Ste Marie (FSSM) would just calm down, I could march up to Moose Facroty and end the threat to my canadian posession for good.

I send my fleet of 8 back to Europe to deal with the blockading ships. I seem to have 2 4th rates coming from the Med to join up. Maybe I then should do what Napoleon never came around to do; invade Britain. But before that I need intel on how many stacks they have. I'm guessing 2-3 stacks won't do.

Turn 49:
    The economy is stable now, with a net profit of around 2500. That should change as soon as I clear the Enlish channel from pirating Brits.
    This turn, nothing of interest happen.

Turn 50:
    I have two idle stacks in Europe and Hannover has no allies. So I march them up to the Hannoverian border.
    I've lost count which turn it is
    Anyway, the next turn

Winter 1727:
    My ships meet up outside Lisbon and continue north towards the English channel. Next turn they'll attack the pesky raiders.

Summer 1728:
    Whoopsie, my fleet was totally destroyed. The British had a little more than brigs and sloops. Their 2nd rates pounded my 4th rates to a pulp. Lost all 11 ships, managed to sink 2 small ones of theirs. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Need to build a fleet that can compete with the British. I cannot have my ports blockaded for long. WHY did they attack me? What did I ever do to them?

Winter 1728: Attacked and assaultet Hannover. This time it was more than just a walkover. Lost two units.
    Got my butt kicked by pirates. 4 units was not enough to take the Leeward islands.
    Money seem to be flowing in again. Got around 9000 this turn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast