Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "The Patriot" - mistakes in battle?

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: "The Patriot" - mistakes in battle?

Guy Gibson will talk like General Melchid.

The irony about the british cavalry officer is that he did exist. There was a cavalry officer in the South that commited war crimes. But he was... American.

I don't remember his name but he fought in flanking and in the rearguard. He came across a number of unarmed loyalists, killed half of them and sent the rest into the forests.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Tarleton? He was British and didn't take prisoners. That's pretty much it.

There was another guy who fought in the swamps with freed slaves and was a of a guerrilla sort. Is that who you're talking about?

gambit's Avatar Gorak

The Patriot was the most historically accurate movie I've seen in a while. I have such respect for Mel Gibson and his attention to detail.

Like in Braveheart, when the Battle of Stirling Bridge totally had a bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    Tarleton? He was British and didn't take prisoners. That's pretty much it.

I think he's refering to Colonel Henry Lee, who initiated Pyle's massacre. Tarleton was bone-headed and too aggressive but his tactics where not unusual considering his position in Cornwallis's Army.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    The Patriot was the most historically accurate movie I've seen in a while. I have such respect for Mel Gibson and his attention to detail.

Good one plus theres the historical mullets.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

Big difference: In The Patriot, Gibson had no real creative control over anything but his own character. He wasn't the director.

Unlike in Braveheart, wherein he was the director and producer and lead actor.
    But that film wasn't meant to be historically accurate, unlike Patriot. It was meant to be an emotional piece of filmmaking that would generate sympathy and enthusiasm for Scottish national-romanticism.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Big difference: In The Patriot, Gibson had no real creative control over anything but his own character. He wasn't the director.

But that film wasn't meant to be historically accurate, unlike Patriot. It was meant to be an emotional piece of filmmaking that would generate sympathy and enthusiasm for Scottish national-romanticism.
    Good point, but I dont actually care about the historical accuracy. I just wanted to do that sterling bridge joke

I like good entertainment and they're both entertaining movies. Of course, if they're claiming historical accuracy on the other hand, it deserves to be put in it's own circle of hell.

aka a thread on the internets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

But that film wasn't meant to be historically accurate, unlike Patriot.
    Can you elaborate how you came to the conclusion that Braveheart didn't want to but the Patriot did?

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Great why couldn't they have just done Robert the Bruce then?
    according to exarch I am like
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Apparently it's so inaccurate that the reenactors doing the battlescense left the filming...

From Spartantailgate and a post by Trevor Barnes
    the movie cost $110 million to make and it made $215 million i say it was success

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Holy necroposting, Batman!

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by jbharro View Post
    the movie cost $110 million to make and it made $215 million i say it was success
    Get out of here Roland Emmerich, your movies suck!
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by jbharro View Post
    The Donald Trump presidential campaign have also been a major success so far. But that does not mean that he provides a historically accurate presentation of America.

Glad someone else necroed this so I can make a point (although I don't think it was quite dead, just a bit rotty).

Everyone has different tastes and that is fine but for some people, me included, historical accuracy is fundamentally linked to the enjoyment of a movie. The reasons for that could be many, complex and possibly different for different people. I don't think it is fair to dismiss these views as pedantic and beardy without giving it due thought.

I also think it is dangerous to dismiss as fools the people whose understanding of history is greatly influenced by such movies. It seems to me to be common even among the educated elite and we are all susceptible to these influences in subtle ways that we may not even be aware of.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234