Thread: God Save The King! Revival and Recruitment

Djûn's Avatar ॐमणिपद्मेहूँ

Default God Save The King! Revival and Recruitment

Good day, AAR readers and RPGers.

As you may be aware, God Save The King! (GSTK) was an RPG using Medieval 2: Toal War. Set in the early 13th Century, players were able to choose between a life as a Knight or a Priest as they worked their way up the social ladder in Feudal England. Sadly, GSTK was shut down due to inactivity not long ago under order from its Local Moderators. This indeed was a unhappy time as GSTK was one of the most popular RPGs in this forum. Nevertheless, a recent upheaval from the still loyal members of the game have now unearthed GSTK in hopes of restoring the old girl to her former glory. Thus, we have decided to re-establish ourselves and build her back up with new characters and new opportunities for all.

As it currently stands, we have about 6-8 dedicated players who are willing to support the new incarnation of the community's favourite Medieval RPG. We at GSTK are humbly asking the Forum for any of you who are interested in the Medieval Period, Medieval 2: Total War or any other RPGs to have a look us up here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=266. The game itself is still being organised before a codified collection of the rules, regulations and duties is posted and God Save The King is once more ignited. Any help or ideas are more than welcome and will be considered by the player base as a whole.

Though I cannot yet reveal the mod which will be used, I can say that the time period will be the late 14th or early 15th Century, still from the perspective of England.

At any rate, to stop myself rambling I will end here by saying this: GSTK is a fantastic opportunity to interact with other members of the forum as well as Medieval 2: Total War and History enthusiasts. Please do not hesitate to post in the GSTK forum, in this thread or even drop me a PM if you have any questions about the game.

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more!

Thank you for your time.

-Dune

Djûn's Avatar ॐमणिपद्मेहूँ

Default Re: God Save The King! Revival and Recruitment

Update:
    I can now confirm that the mod we will be using is "La Guerre de Cent Ans - The Hundred Years' War', which can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205709.

The game starts in the year 1337 and ends in 1453; there are two turns per year (Summer and Winter). It evidently contains mainly the French and English, though the inclusion of the Savoy, Aragonese and HRE are still present to an extent - as well as a couple other minor kingdoms and duchies of France. Though the scope is lessened, the land size has actually increased with now 113 provinces and a more diverse and accurate range of units for each faction.

Hector Barbossa's Avatar Avast Ye Lubbers

Default Re: God Save The King! Revival and Recruitment

We are still looking for players, our loyal band of regulars have ensured that the revival was a big success but we want more of you to try us out.GSTK is no ordinairy RPG anything can happen in this game, i mean where else could you take part in a Pie and Ale contest or have a go at racing around a track on a pig?.Yes there is a healthy dose of humour (ok most of it is very warped) but we never take ourselves seriously.We have immortal warriors (Yeah Highlander rip offs who cares?) so come on sign up give it a go.

This is by ultimation, not me
    -----
    Hello

Have you ever thought about joining one of the TWCenters role playing games? Ever gone to register and then decided not to, out of fright or mis-conceptions? If so, read this guide and see how easy it is.

You see, I was once one of you. When I first joined these forums I didn't even know about this area, and now I rarely leave it. This is all because I took the initiative, and sought help. And now I am giving this help to you.

Just follow these little 'rules' and you will soon see yourself up there and enjoying yourself in an RPG.

Joining

This step is what this guide is all about. Most of you reading this will most likely have backed away from registering due to a few misconceptions. Here are just a few.

Whilst all these statements are valid ones, they are ones which only exist in the mind. A RPG is a game which always wants new members, as they provide a different, interesting story, so old members will never say get lost, as you will provide a new way of thinking. And whilst you may get lost in the masses, all you have to do is be bold and go out and interact with the other players. And as for not being able to interact because you are not known, it doesn't matter. You know why? Because everyone started out that way, and they interacted with the other players. For example, when I first joined GSTK, I only knew one person, and I interacted with him, and through him I met another player, and so on.

Vital rule number one: Interact with the other players.

But then you come to the issue of knowing who to interact with. The solution is to lurk. If you lurk around the RPG you wish to join, you will find out who is more powerful, who is richer etc. This way when you join you will know who to contact to place yourself in the best possible position.

Vital rule number two: Lurk on the RPG forums first

But: Before you join, make sure to read all the rules of the RPG, as if you don't you may ruin the game. If you don't understand a rule, simply P.M one of the moderators. There is usually a thread detailing who they are. This also comes with another perk. The moderators of a RPG are usually experienced members, and they provide valuable knowledge.

Vital rule number three: Contact the game moderators for help and knowledge

If you have followed the three vital rules, then you will know find yourself as a happy role player.
    But what if you don't know what RPG to join. Well then check out below and see what types there are.

Types of RPG

There are three main types of RPG. One type is almost fully in game based, one is half game half role play and the final one is mostly role play. These are:

Augustus (fully game): This is a hotseat campaign RPG. It requires you to have RTW (and mods if wanted). You and several other players control the factions in game and try to dominate the mad. This requires little forum posting.

The Republic of Venice (half/half): This is a game in which the actions that are debated on the forums between players affect the in game faction. May Require a copy of ETW depending on position, and requires much forum posting.
    Another type of this game is You are the Senate. This requires RTW and the specific mod.

God Save the King (fully forum): This is mainly forum based, which players interacting with each other to try and gain power in the created universe. Requires no game (M2TW + Mod optional), but much forum posting.

Optional Steps

The following are some optional steps that may help you get noticed in the forum based RPG's.

Create an interesting character: Instead of simply putting down one line as your characters background, try to include details such as relatives, job history, upbringing, financial state, training and education into it. Here is a comparison between two backgrounds (made up).

Do you see the difference. A shoddy, one lined background will not get you noticed, and people won't know your past, and will maybe not pick you as they don't know how well trained you are. Meanwhile, with a long background you will be noticed as a good contributor, and everyone will know how good you are with a sword, and may make an offer to help you in game.

Don't be afraid to oppose someone: Particularly in YATS and TRV, where debating is crucial, not opposing someone may cost you in your plans for power. While you may think you will anger someone by opposing them, more often than not they will accept it and provide a good challenge for you. This in turn makes you known as a good RP'er, which gets you further in the game. For example, the older players in GSTK are always rebelling, overthrowing and plotting. As I write this all the nobility in England are locked up as part of a plot to overthrow the king.

Defiance is key to getting your character somewhere in game.

Join other peoples situation: Joining in always makes for a better role-play then not, and it helps people get to know your character. Most situations in game are open for all, and this provides a chance for you to try out your role playing skills. Plus, what you say may very well affect an entire kingdom, and think of how proud you will be then.

Develop your character through your actions: Now this may be taken for granted, but it essential for you to develop your character early. Try and find threads which are for your character to relax in, and develop your character their. Some good character developing actions are:

This develops your character by stating one of his traits.
    This develops your character by stating some of his personal info, such as his financial status.

I thank you for reading my guide, and I hope it helps you get into role playing.
    Ultimation
    GSTK + TRV Player
    TRV Mod
    Last edited by M D; May 09, 2010 at 05:58 AM.