Thread: Europa Barbarorum vs Roma Surrectum

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Europa Barbarorum vs Roma Surrectum

Hi, im an old fan of RTR and EB, i have not played rome or any other mod for a while, so im kind of outdated on rome mods.

I have checked the TWC awards and i have read about RS being the best mod and i had never heard of it. I have tried it and i find it is great, but since i have not played EB in years and havent tryed newer versions, i would like to know your opinion (as i googled it and cant find a single thread about this, just the old RTRvsEB threads)

So, wich mod is the best and why?
    Is RS really better than EB?

Im specially interested these fields:
    - Combat (realism, challenge, ai)
    - Art (unit design, historical accuracy)
    - gameplay in general (realistic, fun, bug-free, solid)
    * guess the overall most fun and realistic (both in terms of visuals and gameplay) one wins.

Anyways, feel free to introduce points or recommendantions about other mods.

Thanks in advance

(PS: i tried to make this a poll, but dunno how to do it)

EDIT: If you think these are very different mods and shouldnt be confronted like this, please tell me wich are exactly the differences between them (thats, in the end of the day, what i really want to know)
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 18, 2009 at 03:09 PM.

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum vs Roma Surrectum

I don't like these versus threads because fanboys of either mod will inevitably end up arguing ridiculously. EB and RS are such different mods it's useless to pit them against each other in a 'versus'. Basically, EB is the micromanagement/historically accurate dream mod.

RS is the massive battle, massive campaign, Roman dream mod.

And RS2 isn't out so I'll leave it out of the equation. Both RS and EB are excellent mods that set out to achieve different things.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

I've started playing RS just a few days ago, and I can tell you that it's a superb mod. Just the historical legions alone make it worth dl-ing. But RS is so much more... definitely try it.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    Hi, im an old fan of RTR and EB, i have not played rome or any other mod for a while, so im kind of outdated on rome mods.

I have checked the TWC awards and i have read about RS being the best mod and i had never heard of it. I have tried it and i find it is great, but since i have not played EB in years and haven't tried newer versions, i would like to know your opinion (as i googled it and cant find a single thread about this, just the old RTRvsEB threads)

So, wich mod is the best and why?
    Is RS really better than EB?

Im specially interested these fields:
    - Combat (realism, challenge, ai)

As a member of Rs, you would know what kind of answer i would give

1. Combat! Rs deals with large battles, and 0 recruitment costs.
    and we also will have 1 to 2 moves recruitment costs unless that changes.
    I have eb, and it takes at least for me 30 moves before i could have a decent battle. Yet it works with balancing your troops, for these battles in EB. Eb deals with high recruitment costs( which takes time as you build your empire. But it depends who you play as a faction.

And this answer is not to say who's better or not. We at Rs don't bash mods but give our opinions.

2. Eb has excellent historical troops, and Rs is having them also.
    Except what ifs, on the spartan faction. ( see the Spartan preview )
    RS on realism we have an excellent team with research on every unit! Plus the info to prove it. with Tones design team of skinning and models are the best i have seen anywhere. And i have played every mod concerning this Roman period!
    3. Challenge!
    Oh yes! Not only will you have a fun time creating your empire. But fighting the best free Greeks, free barbarian skins we can find! They have their own designs also and skins. And that,s not accounting the other factions you decide to make war with.
    4 The A1 in EB has better script's and more detail you can ever think of! But Rs will have some script's, and we want you to decide where and when to fight! History changes once you start that first turn!
    We suggest that you play Rs on hard/hard/ or very hard.
    To experience that challenge!
    But i test this game at times on med/med and it,s still a very good challenge! The key is watching your money!
    - Art (unit design, historical accuracy)
    - gameplay in general (realistic, fun, bug-free, solid)

Art? look at the screens! That will show you! Plus we have more than you can ever dream coming soon!
    * guess the overall most fun and realistic (both in terms of visuals and gameplay) one wins.
    look over all the previews, screen shots, and you will see for your self!

This mod is coming very soon! And its nothing like the old RTW!

Anyways, feel free to introduce points or recommendantions about other mods.

Thanks in advance

Other team members will be happy to give you more details if you like.
    thanks for the post!

(PS: i tried to make this a poll, but dunno how to do it)

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Citizen

Blog Entries

yeah i have played it (as Rome, and on vh/vh) and i found it great, and it is probably the best-looking mod i have ever played (man you guys did an awsome job with the shields, and the battles are impresive)

But since i have not played it for much time, i would like to know the impressions of those who have played EB and RS more extensively.

Btw, about the difficulty, now that you mention it, what are the recommended choices? i have read that VH does not work properly and makes the game less enjoyable due to unrealistc stats etc.

the installation tells that the recommendation is H/H, but will it work well in VH/H, H/VH and VH/VH?

I prefer RS because it's faster and has a bigger map, but EB is truly a work of genius. I'd recommend that any true RTW fan have both on his PC -- they're so different it's really hard to compare... (and add XGM and Viking Invasion 2 while you're installing mods... that would give you about five years of gameplay altogether...)

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

they both have their pros and cons. It's up to you to decide...........
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    I'd recommend that any true RTW fan have both on his PC
    - Well, actually i would had never even started this thread if RS installation wasnt compatible with other mods.

I remember there where "mod switchers", dunno if they are still around and if they are compatible with RS

And thanks for the recommendations, i dont know about these, i will give them a look

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    - Well, actually i would had never even started this thread if RS installation wasnt compatible with other mods.

I remember there where "mod switchers", dunno if they are still around and if they are compatible with RS

And thanks for the recommendations, i dont know about these, i will give them a look
    I ahve a soluton or you.

Install a clean version of RTW and install i to whatever folser you want.
    this is my laptop:

"C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\RTW Vanilla"

Then copy n paste EVERYTHING OUT of that folder to another folder "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\RS 1.5c"-------Again on my PC

Then install RS into one, and repeat for each mod.
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Nothing good can come of these thread, so try both mods and figure out which you like best.

Closed
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein