Thread: Quixote's Combat Overhaul

Default Quixote's Combat Overhaul

So I had a few problems with Vanilla ETW combat, so I set about to fix them. The results are hopefully more enjoyable, realistic, and better paced. Here's a link and the patch notes are below.

FileFront
    http://files.filefront.com/13489214

FileQube
    http://www.fileqube.com/file/UnHwegyD181538

FileFactory
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/af6e...mod_qcov1_1_ra

Edit - Updated the file, should have much better lethality at close ranges, and I added a bunch more mirrors.

Rule Changes

-Squares are more effective against cavalry (this is important with the morale changes)

-Infantry are more effective in melee against cavalry period

-Infantry have had their accuracy in close ranges increased (hopefully), with long range accuracy much worse than vanilla

-Double Barreled musket (grenzer) has had it's reload time increased. It'll take twice as long to reload as a regular musket, but it will still have twice the punch. The reason is right now they simply have a ridiculous amount of firepower, they can take out line infantry in a mano a mano situation. Grenzers apparently had some magical bonus where they could reload both barrels of their musket faster than line infantry could reload their one. They're still some of the very best skirmishers. They excel at hit and runs, firing a volley then getting back to take the time to reload, then going in to shoot again.

-Muskets have had their range increased to 100, rifles now have a maximum range of 175. Light Infantry are at 125. Though accuracy at these long ranges is terrible.

-Cavalry have had their unit sizes increased. They have roughly 70% of the size of a standard line infantry regiment. Charge bonuses are greatly lowered, and squares are much more effective against them. Morale on standard cavalry is lower, if an infantry stands and fights in a melee, the cavalry will route. Elite cavalry has much higher morale. Traditionally, if infantry DID stand against a cavalry charge, the charge failed. Cavalry charges were only fatal when the infantry broke and tried to run. With the changes in morale, using cavalry to flank formations is much more valuable.

-General units are much smaller. The power of their inspirational aura has been increased, but they are too fragile to be used except in the most dire of combat situations.

-Dragoons have a much lower cavalry charge bonus. They are still a versatile unit, but they cannot charge like dedicated melee cavalry. Still excellent flankers, point guards, and at chasing down routing units. Dragoons also have slightly larger units.

-Morale has been standardized based on level of training a unit has. Elite units have high morale, 11. Well Trained units have 8. Trained units have 5. Poorly trained units have 3. Artillery still has low morale. Dedicated melee units are two steps higher on the training scale for morale. IE: A poorly trained melee unit has 8 morale. It's going to be very difficult to keep a poorly trained unit fighting. As was the case during this time period historically, many armies simply would not fight. They'd fire a volley, recieve a volley, and simply flee. Good use of your general is going to be key to keeping your army fighting. I'd especially like feed back about this change

-Line Infantry has been standardized. With some exceptions. Russian infantry units are on average twice the size of other European counterparts. They have half the stats. They are also not effected by the unit size cost modifier (see below).

-Grenadier units (not grenade launcher units) are the same size as a regular unit of line infantry. They shoot as well as regular line infantry, poorer than a Guard unit. They shouldn't be wasted on a fire line - they should be there to punch a hole in the enemy lines with superior melee.

-Sikh and Bargir musketeers are considered Trained. Sikh Musketeers have improved melee stats. Bargir have improved melee defense (they are wearing actual armor, after all)

-Given the Accuracy changes, ammunition capacity has been doubled for all units.

-Light Infantry units are 50% larger. With the accuracy changes at longer ranges, they need more weight of fire per volley

-Melee units have had their stats increased. Sikh Warriors now have an inspiring aura to compensate for Marathas lack of elite infantry.

-Artillery Accuracy has been increased. They were responsible for more than 50% of the casualties back in the day, hopefully now they'll pull their weight a bit better.

-Movement speed for all units have been decreased.

-Morale has been reworked. Units will route closer to 50% casualties lost instead of 80%+. Units will gain more benefit from nearby inspirational units, flank protection, and terrain (being on hills and such). Units recieve a bigger penalty for being attacked in the rear or sides

Unit Costs and Stat adjustments

Unit Cost Changes

I've reworked all unit purchase prices and upkeep costs. You'll find overall that maintaining an army isn't economically straining. Keeping an army at full strength when it's actually fighting is going to cost a lot more money.

It breaks down as follows

I've doubled the cost of every unit, and the upkeep is 1/10th of that price. For artillery the upkeep is 1/20th and for cavalry it's 1/5th.

I'm not fully behind this system yet. I would really appreciate as much feedback on this as you guys can give. I was originally going to go for a flat multiplier system. I would have had Line Infantry as a base, then everything would have a cost based off of that with different multipliers for elite, well trained, trained, and such, and unit size. I ended up feeling like this didn't take into account the stats of the various units enough. With that said, I'd welcome any suggestions on revamping this. Keep your eyes open for inconsistencies and "bargains" (units too powerful for their cost)

Installation instructions -

Put the .pack file in your data directory.

If it doesn't load any or all of the files, download Lt. Chamber's PackFileManager ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234546) . Make a backup copy of your main.pack and patch.pack and put them in a backup folder somewhere else. Go into the patch.pack using the PackFileManager and delete the following files -

_kv_rules_tables
    projectiles_tables
    unit_stats_land_tables
    units_tables

It should work then.

This is meant to be played on Medium battle difficulty. Any higher and I think the morale penalties you suffer on the higher difficulties would make it unplayable.

Hopefully you guys like it! Leave me feedback and I'll keep working on improving it!
    Last edited by Quixote07; March 18, 2009 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Quixote's Combat Overhaul

Sounds interesting. I'd give it a try if I could download it...

Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server.

Please try again later, or you can upgrade to FileFactory Premium below for instant access.

I'll work on getting more mirrors up.

Plus there's an update coming with much better lethality at close ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote07 View Post
    I'll work on getting more mirrors up.

Plus there's an update coming with much better lethality at close ranges.
    Thanks. Looking forward to it.

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

sounds very nice
    did you change all the minor factions too?

Sounds fantastic. How long do the battles last with the morale changes?

I edited all units, so yup, minor factions too.

Battle length now depends pretty heavily on your tactics and enemy tactics. If you want a long range shootout, it'll take about as long or longer than it does now, from what I've found.

If you wanna punch a hole through the enemy, well. Let's just say things don't live terribly long when you get within about 30 range. The firefights will be fast, and units will be maulled. Unless you're maximizing your morale boosting effects (flank coverage, inspiring units, terrain and such) mauled units will route pretty quickly when they get around 50% casualties.

Edit - I will say that given the breadth of the things I've changed, balancing is definately something I'll be refining based on you guys' input. Please, let me know how it plays for you and what you think is too strong or not strong enough
    Last edited by Quixote07; March 18, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Senator

should this thread be here - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1075

anyways awesome mod gonna try it now.

You're probably right, I'm going crazy
    Last edited by Quixote07; March 18, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Closed by request.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars