Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit uniforms accuracy

Default Unit uniforms accuracy

Hello , now I am not expert at all of the 1700 uniform types , so I ask to some experts around if the ones in the game are actyually accurate ? what percentage would you consider them accurate ? Would they need a rework ? Or you think are fine as they are?
    Are there any national or regional differences worth doing apart colors?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Unit uniforms accuracy

There is tonns of work awaiting any interested modder.

You have plenty of very incorrect uniforms and some outright fantasy (Spain?) while others seem more Napoleonic than 1700-1800.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

you know I think that a partiall modding of ETW is more feasible and actually immediate for release than a total conversion , so A list of would be needed mods could be cool so a modder could check and see whats needed and pick up something for working....like a list of units for example for each faction that would need a redo or even a add on like new specials etc....

I wonder tough would those new add ons be playable online by ppl sharing the same mod?

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

Some uniforms are right. But Spain is just awful in uniform. The problem is they took the officer colours and applied it to the entire army, so it was easier to distinguish Spanish troops from the others.

Someone took a piss on the Spanish uniforms.

For a casual fan, I think the history is adequeate enough for the look and feel of the period ~and~ to maintain game balance between factions for MP. If I am playing Britian and someone else picks France, then we still have fairly comparable units to work with and neither has a direct advantage just because of what flag they've got.

Now that said, the true history purist isn't that happy because British line solidiers were different then the French due to training priorities, and the French Arty was different than British for the same reason.

There is also room for a lot of variation within each nation. Each British regiment, for example, had it's own flag to carry with the national flag. In addition, the color of the turn backs on the coats (the strips of blue you see on Line or yellow on colonial) varied based on the unit's colors. Some were white, some were green, some where orange. This was a little thing to help each regimetn feel unique and provide more espirit de corps. This could be modded in, and would add a lot for the total history geek, but a causal fan of history probably wouldn't apprecaite the significance.

For trying to take the period and make it a game, Empire Total War does the best of any I've seen to date. Until something better comes along, the percentage doesnt' matter to me: It simply is the best. Now there IS decidedly room for something better but it doesn't exist yet so, we make do.

Mr. O

eatme's Avatar Senator

I think in general faction wise the uniforms are accurate. But within the faction they could do more research into units and their uniform tweaks.

moveable nu's Avatar Libertus

I think the uniforms are generally pretty good. I'm only really knowledgeable about the American military in the 18th century, and I'd say their uniforms seem a little ornate, particularly for officers (we never really used grenadiers...) I would have advocated the inclusion of Marines as our elite infantry (I like Long Rifle Men, don't get me wrong...)

It does seem funny that they appear to have botched Spain's uniforms so much (or so I've heard) but the British are all properly color coded (that is, scarlet for officers and sergeants, deeper red for the regular troops).

I know it might be difficult to code, but I'd like to see the French uniforms change to blue if they become a republic, certainly.
    "... angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose"
    -Livy

Quote Originally Posted by moveable nu View Post
    I think the uniforms are generally pretty good. I'm only really knowledgeable about the American military in the 18th century, and I'd say their uniforms seem a little ornate, particularly for officers (we never really used grenadiers...) I would have advocated the inclusion of Marines as our elite infantry (I like Long Rifle Men, don't get me wrong...)

It does seem funny that they appear to have botched Spain's uniforms so much (or so I've heard) but the British are all properly color coded (that is, scarlet for officers and sergeants, deeper red for the regular troops).

I know it might be difficult to code, but I'd like to see the French uniforms change to blue if they become a republic, certainly.
    Well a list for modders would help , also a classiificatiion like :

Unit modding : total remake
    Unit modding : slight accuracies to fix
    Unit modding : new unit add on!

what yoiu think? I think would be quite usefull and especially wiith helping pictures sidiing the requested units foor modding , plus woold help the modders that like me do not know much the period in question about uniforms...

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

They're not really that accurate, more like generalisations. Not to mention the fact that the units have identical uniforms, simply recoloured with their faction colour. I personally cannot wait for the modders to get to grips with the textures in a big way, because as it stands, they need a lot of work.

In general, the uniforms bear but a passing resemblance to historical counterparts.

With "passing" being the key word.

spanish ones are a mess, they are not even remotely similar. and its a major country

Quote Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
    They're not really that accurate, more like generalisations. Not to mention the fact that the units have identical uniforms, simply recoloured with their faction colour. I personally cannot wait for the modders to get to grips with the textures in a big way, because as it stands, they need a lot of work.
    Absolutely. The uniforms in the game are really one big "cut and paste" job with a faction color overlay applied.

The style and cut of the uniforms are not very inspired, I must say. There could have been early, mid and late century styles. As it is, the line infantry uniforms are about 1780 and applied throughout the century.

I even fought Dagestan in a war and they were using the same western style uniforms. Very lame. A very big sacrifice was made in the game artwork as well. Seems rushed and not well-researched.

I hope that there will be a good system to allow uniform mods, but its not looking good. For me the uniforms, flags, colors etc. are a real immersion killer as is.

moveable nu's Avatar Libertus

The uniforms are not exact copies which happen to be different colors. The British and American uniforms look very different and rightly so, the British ones appear to have the outlines of pockets on their jackets (don't ask me for particulars... I can only play medium detail!), for example. I doubt, on the other hand, that British Green Jackets and French Tirailleurs wore identical uniforms.

Something else I just noticed, why the blazes are Royal Navy officers wearing red?!
    "... angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose"
    -Livy

I actually like Spain in yellow uniforms, it doesnt look as terrible as some people make out, and you can easily distinguish them. Although a mod changing their uniform to white with yellow cuffs, coat facings etc would be cool.

I think French units should all have a slightly darker blue facings/cuffs etc instead of light blue. I don't understand why french grenadiers/guards/elite infantry have black facings/cuffs etc instead of the same as the other units.

Also, tiralleurs badly need a new unit model, those are obviously nothing like how they really looked. Even just changing the coat to white with blue edges would look much better, even if it isnt realistic, just not the same as the british please!!!

British Green jackets would look better with all green trousers, and a green jacket officer and standard bearer instead of line infantry officer!!!

Russia would look better with a darker red for trousers and cuffs/facings.

Btw these are just personal preferences of mine and not particularly based on historical uniforms! If any kind modder could create these units I would be very pleased!

CA must make another patch with historical uniforms for all units types of all factions,not more football teams.
    another patch with more units types for faction,this is possible for CA,if the game is better more people will buy the empire.
    my brother and my friends will buy the empire if the game is better.

They won't, it will be down to the mod community, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
    They won't, it will be down to the mod community, as always.
    i buy the game for 60 euros in spain,the empire special forces.
    as client I want that ca do a patch with this implementation.
    more units types for factions and historical uniforms in all units types not football teams.
    I am a client of ca from the year 2000 from shogun.
    iam a very good client of CA and I have the right to demand all that.
    My brother and my friends wait to that the empire this complete and well to buy it.
    Many people expect to buy the empire until this good.
    Last edited by Anibal at portas; March 18, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

E:TW is an approximation that attempts to cover the military practices, tactics, and fashion of the entire 18th Century. Remember that this game just cover the Seven Years War, or some other narrow period. CW has done an excellent job of trying to create the general look and feel of the period - while still keeping the game playable and fun. This is something they have done with all the titles in TW, as each game in the series has played fast and loose with unit uniforms, period tactics, technology, history, etc.

The game is an approximation, and a damn fine one at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast