Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have there even been any good Civil War games?

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

I'm just starting to learn about the Civil War in school. It's actually pretty interesting.

Every battle was pretty large, and it's when they first started to use gattling guns! :w00t

I think there was only like ONE Civil War game in the past that was good.

Robert E Lee's "Civil War General"

You've probably never heard of it. It came out back in 96' or 97', I forgot which. It was made by Sierra. It was an RTS where you move armies across "hexagon" squares and when two armies meet depending on the location and how experianced or how many men one side has, it brings up little videos of how the battle went and where it happened.

It was actually pretty fun. The only other civil war game I remember was Gods and Generals, and that game made me cry because of how lousy it was.

With all of these WW2 and Vietnam games coming around, when are there going to be any decent Civil War games? I think the Civil War was overlooked. It ended slavery, was the bloodiest war in American history, and was pretty cool for its own reasons.

In the following years, I hope they make at least TWO good Civil War games. One FPS, and one RTS. And they should have ragdoll physics and awesome graphics. Get into the new technology

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

who wants a first person shooted were they use muskets! honestly
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Sid Meiers Gettysburg and Antietam

similar to the battles in Total War.... probably dated by now. Excellent games though.

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

Where can I find "Civil War General"? Downloadable anywhere, or should I start looking on Ebay?
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Theres one made by Mad Minute Games thats supposed to be pretty frickin good. Called Bull Run somethingsomethingsomething. Uses sprites instead of 3D, but its in REAL real time. Like...1 hour = 1hour.

Mad Minute Games
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

Originally posted by MadBurgerMaker@Apr 26 2005, 09:32 PM
    Theres one made by Mad Minute Games thats supposed to be pretty frickin good. Called Bull Run somethingsomethingsomething. Uses sprites instead of 3D, but its in REAL real time. Like...1 hour = 1hour.

Mad Minute Games
    That looks pretty good.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

somebody could always mod civil war: total war...

Originally posted by {nF}remix@Apr 26 2005, 10:53 PM
    somebody could always mod civil war: total war...
    I'm not sure if it can be done with RTW. It can be done with MTW, however. RTW doesn't have any hardcode supporting gunpowder units or physics.

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

isnt the folks doing Napoleonic total war doing it?

The only good civil war games have been strategy games, the good ones i remember were all Sid Meyer's work.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

Where can I find Sid Meyer's Civil War games?

Well first, where can I find some info and screenshots?

".........." -Gordon Freeman

A first person civil war game would suck. And how much fun could controlling 200 men that fire 3 shots a minute be? I think those are some of the reasons that big name corporations don't make fun civil war games. There's just not enough action.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Civil war general 2 owns them all.
    Strategy, supply lines, ammo, the works is in.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

I posted a couple screenies of the new "Gettysburg" game here.
    This was just the demo tutorial. Actual skirmishes are bigger.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

well, American Civil War: From Sumter To Appomattox seemed decent to me, though I never found the time to get seriously into it . on the plus side, it's free ....

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

North & South for the Nintendo was one of the most utterly enjoyable Civil War era games I've ever played.

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Age of Rifles

This one was a fun game and not only covers the American Civil War, but alot of conflicts during the time frame.
    Also could create your own scenarios and even make a campaign with all the scenarios you created. Also can create your own units.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

Sid Meyer's games are from the mid/late 90s so idk if you want to play something that is old.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidmei...burg/index.html

here is one of them..... they were generally either made by Firaxis or Microprose.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Necrobrit's Avatar Urbanis Legio

Originally posted by MadBurgerMaker@Apr 26 2005, 10:32 PM

Mad Minute Games
    Aye, this is certanly the best one I've played in awhile. I made a topic about it theother day... seems to be little interest though.

I wouldn't recomend playing Sid's Gettysburg... its old, and like all old games it will ruin your fond memories of the past with thier poor quality.

The Imperial House Of The Wolf
    Son of WBK/Anagennese.
    The second generation of The Imperial Household: Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion, Kagemusha, Muizer, Battle Knight and Asterix
    Father of Zuwxiv, Borsook, PyrrhusIV, and Aristocrat formerly bestowing patronage upon Omnipotent-Q

Originally posted by Eric@Apr 26 2005, 09:55 PM
    who wants a first person shooted were they use muskets! honestly
    Nobody used muskets during Civil War, the most common weapons were muzzel-loaded rifles. Breach-loaded rifles (such as the Sharps) were not uncommon however, and the Henry Rifle (its design was later bought by Winchester) was available to Union soldiers. The confederate's called the Henry, "That dammed yankee gun that you can load on Sunday and shoot all week." Plus, the cavalry and officers had Colt revolvers as side-arms.

A Civil-War FPS could be fun if done right. If the soldier you play as has a Henry Rifle for example, or you could be a Sharpshooter (with a Sharps Rifle, naturally). Not to mention that things can get pretty exiting once you're up close and personal, with bayonets, rifle butts, and revolvers as the main weapons. However, I would agree that the best Civil War game would have to be a strategy game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast