Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakthrough: creating new units

Decanus

Default Breakthrough: creating new units

Well, whith a wonderful Pack File Manager I finally managed to create a custom unit. It is almost a clone of Cossack Infantry but the unique units weren't my priority. I was trying to create a custom unit and make the game recognize it. And I made it.

To create your own unit you have to export the following db files via Package Manager and add your own lines of a new unit.

building_units_allowed
    unit_stats_land
    unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions
    units
    units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions
    units_to_gov_type_permissions

The only problem I have is that I don't know how to give the unit a name to be shown in the game. Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, have a look at the screens

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I will probably write a guide on "how to create your own units" tomorrow or later...

Miles

Default Re: Breakthrough: creating new units

ochen horosho!!! vui pomestite v vasheva modnika?? can i be on the mod team as well lol? i am very enthusiastic about it!
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

Isn't the text string right after the unit ID in unit_tables/units the name used in the game? I assumed it was since that string don't have any "_" or any other odd characters in it, but I've never tried changing it to see what happened in game.

Expect multitude of reps, HellFell, because you are awesome. A guide would be nice.
    Now we'll only need to make the emergent nations playable and everything's just ready to mod ETW on an epic scale.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; March 17, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Julius Isidrus's Avatar Centenarius

Great!

Thema Devia - Português (Portuguese)

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

Quote Originally Posted by Scanian View Post
    Isn't the text string right after the unit ID in unit_tables/units the name used in the game? I assumed it was since that string don't have any "_" or any other odd characters in it, but I've never tried changing it to see what happened in game.
    Me thinks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Scanian View Post
    I just tried this, and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Being Earnest View Post
    I just tried this, and it didn't work.
    Im at work so no access to fthe game, but maybe you have change the unit_stats and units_stats-land?? Or even the others?
    I dont remember the colums in all of them but check that.

Hey if you were CA you could take your units and sell them for 10 extra dollars! 1 unit for 2 dollars!

Ohhh! Fantastic!
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website

You'll have to tie in to the localization files to edit the screen name, methinks. But good work. There is quite a bit of work to be done in the PFM to make it easy to add units (by linking together the relevant db tables).

Tried creating unit too... but where can i find "units_to_gov_type_permissions" ?

And i changed the tables, imported, saved.. but if i reload the .pack there are no changes :/

If memory serves me right, units_to_gov_type_permissions is in your main.pack.

The changing displaying name of a unit element is probably whats holding me back from finishing 3 or 4 new units ive just textured. Would rather put them in the game as new units rather than just reskin current ones. Ive got a 10 man unit of elite 95th Rifles Chosen Men with better accuracy/range/speed ready to be dropped in the game as soon as I can give them a custom display name. Im even working on putting sharpe/harper/hagman/harris faces in as the 4 face skins for the new texture (I must watch too much of the "UKTVHistory" channel).

Nevermind, found it via the 1.9 pack viewer with alpaca's translation so you can edit the files in local_en.pack. Combined with the info above, im there.

Brand New units coming everyone's way tonight.

That is so cool! I can't wait for the "how_to_create_your_own_unit" guide!!!

I double +rep you for that! Please contiune your genius work!

Quote Originally Posted by HellFell View Post
    Well, whith a wonderful Pack File Manager I finally managed to create a custom unit. It is almost a clone of Cossack Infantry but the unique units weren't my priority. I was trying to create a custom unit and make the game recognize it. And I made it.

To create your own unit you have to export the following db files via Package Manager and add your own lines of a new unit.

building_units_allowed
    unit_stats_land
    unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions
    units
    units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions
    units_to_gov_type_permissions

The only problem I have is that I don't know how to give the unit a name to be shown in the game. Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, have a look at the screens

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I will probably write a guide on "how to create your own units" tomorrow or later...
    Grat find , now tell me you ll find how to add custom pieces of meshes and how to change the mesh file animations and textures and we could make new units ingame ....

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Great work. Now we need an editor. And then we can dream of functionality where can add custom units to you mod pack with one button.

Nice! I'd really like to know how.

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    . Ive got a 10 man unit of elite 95th Rifles Chosen Men with better accuracy/range/speed ready to be dropped in the game as soon as I can give them a custom display name. Im even working on putting sharpe/harper/hagman/harris faces in as the 4 face skins for the new texture (I must watch too much of the "UKTVHistory" channel).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast