Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Britain Landbridge?

Default Britain Landbridge?

Good evening,

is there any way to get a landbridge between France and Britain? By Empire's mechanics, the one faction that has sea superiority can use this landbridge by free will.

I would love to have it because the french lads are so hesitant in attacking my lands. It would help as a temporary or even persistent fix against the missing naval invasions when playing british.

Best regards,
    Ritterlich

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Default Re: Britain Landbridge?

Good Lord! There wasn't easy access across the Channel even by WWII!

Shadow8's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    Good Lord! There wasn't easy access across the Channel even by WWII!
    agreed, France and any other nation for that matter had trouble attacking the British isles due to Britain's uber navy. the game mirrors this effect.

Yes, but the French never ever attack Great Britain the way it is now.

More importantly, if I play a continental power, the British never mess with the French in France.

The british ports nearby ensure british naval superiority so they'll be the ones who can use the landbridge, not the French! The way I'd do it is to get the landbridge right near London as a second obstacle for the French - so that an army entering England is always intercepted by London's garrison. Then, our fine gentlemen shall be able to enter France whenever they want and burn the villages to ashes, drink french wine, fight foul cheese in Flanders and marry french women

Playing Prussia atm, allied to the BE!

Unfortunately I cannot code the bridge
    Last edited by Ritterlichvon86; March 17, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Shadow8's Avatar Ducenarius

if your trying to mod one it belongs in the modding section. but imo its pointless, thats what navies are for, its also unrealistic, the channel isnt short enough to have a land bridge like say the streight of Bosporus is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8 View Post
    if your trying to mod one it belongs in the modding section. but imo its pointless, thats what navies are for, its also unrealistic, the channel isnt short enough to have a land bridge like say the streight of Bosporus is.
    I think the Original Poster has a point. Of course the land bridge is unrealistic and there are navies for such invasions: the problem is that the AI never does that, it never launches naval invasions. At the moment in every Empire campaign the English will stick to their island and never try to invade the continent, and the French will never try to cross into England.
    CA could fix that in a patch, but please remember that Rome TW suffered the same problem (missing naval invasions), and that was partially solved only with the "Barbarian Invasion" expansion.
    Last edited by Teodosio; March 17, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

Miles

until naval invasions are fixed... this would be EXCELLENT... how can we do this? the big guns should get started on this and i think it would add tons of excitement to the game.
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

It's a game: it's not realistic at all. You see that our armies are too small, but I can put 2500 soldiers in full battlegear and cannons onto a sloop and cross the atlantic with it.

I might be wrong, but isn't this the modding section?
    Well, I'll just wait till someone creates the landbridge as I cannot do it, unfortunately. It should improve gameplay by a large margin. I suppose Teodosio and Mikhail are right, the AI needs help.

What better medicine can there be than this modding community, the most vivid of them all!
    Last edited by Ritterlichvon86; March 17, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

No one gets what this guy is saying in this thread?

He wants France to attack Britain. France does not attack Britain because the AI does not do naval invasions.

It has nothing to do with Britains powerful navy. It has to do with the fact that the AI does NOT use its navy to invade anything. By putting in a land bridge from Britain to France, he hopes to draw the French out into attacking British territories.

Also, when you have a land bridge, and navies nearby, those navies stop any enemy force from using the land bridge.

Sorry I can't help, I just wanted to explain it a bit more for these people.
    じゃあ、しょうがない・・・

Yes mate and I would want the British Empire, if played by the AI, to pillage and burn french lands! I believe many players would agree with this as the British had a constant presence on the continent, to try to keep a balance of power between the warring factions.

Miles

in addition the british will begin attacking the mainland... this would add TONS to gameplay and the overall 'fun' value... great idea Knight (ritter) lol

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

They way I see the "land bridge" in the game is sorta the same as Washington crossing the Delaware. You aren't actually walking over the water, you're just using small boats to sail over the water to the destination. E:TW does it good with the zone of control. No commander in his right mind would send his army in small boats if the opposing nation has a fleet sitting close by, they'd be crushing. If you use the theroy of small boats taking you over the water, then it makes sense to me.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
    They way I see the "land bridge" in the game is sorta the same as Washington crossing the Delaware. You aren't actually walking over the water, you're just using small boats to sail over the water to the destination. E:TW does it good with the zone of control. No commander in his right mind would send his army in small boats if the opposing nation has a fleet sitting close by, they'd be crushing. If you use the theroy of small boats taking you over the water, then it makes sense to me.
    well the game as of now you have to use your imagination... so you really have to use it here. since the ai cannot use naval invasions yet (watch, they probably will in the patch since we are having all this discussion lol) we must use our imagination like they are ferrying troops across the channel unmolested... i mean that will add loads to gameplay and the english will be a force on the mainland... that would be great.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

Yeah this isn't likely to happen without CA providing an editor for the ESF files. Many of those are hard to reverse engineer.

I'm starting to wonder if CA will provide us with anything at all. They are definitely using this forum to fix their mistakes, and there will still be plenty of mistakes left after the patches. So why not make it easier for everyone and give us a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by LtChambers View Post
    Yeah this isn't likely to happen without CA providing an editor for the ESF files. Many of those are hard to reverse engineer.
    The regions.esf makes mention of having landbridge data near the end of its file after ground type definitions.

I remember in one of the past Total War games I put a landbridge across the channel , cant remember which game it was, I think it was either MTW2 or RTW. The game had the same problem regarding AI and naval invasions so I put the landbridge in and the AI began sending armies back and forth across it, made a huge difference.

Got to admit that if the AI naval use isnt going to be fixed for a long time (and it looks like it wont judging by the interview this week where the CA guy said "later patches will include AI tweaks") I agree that I would quite like a landbridge as a temporary resolution.

Using a landbridge has been used as a fix for missing naval invasions especially in RTW. It should also be applied here until the fix is out.

I usually have made good experiences with landbridges. Even with Naval-Invasions ingame, they make frequent attacks of the AI much more likely.

Remains the passive-ai bug...
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Just dropping by to say that this is an excellent idea and imo it should be permanently implemented in order to enhance the gameplay experience.

Regarding comments that this is unrealistic, please keep in mind that "Land bridges" are used in lots of games. Usually, including the existing land bridges in ETW, they do not stand for real-life bridges but they are simulating easy access from one piece of land to the other. E.g. for the sake of argument, if the english channel and shore are unprotected, why is it unrealistic to consider that a French army could board all available fishing/trading vessels and land on english soil within a few calm-weather days?

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Ideally AI should learn how to use its ships to make naval invasions. Till that is not acomplished land bridges should be the way to go.
    Spain and Morroco, in this game, ARE in contact through a land bridge. Why should England be special in that regard?
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast