Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

o ok THAnk you very much wiz very gratefull but uh...lol i got another question that i forgot to add and i hope you can be as kind enough to answer it. and that is do you know how i can make it so i can recruit indian units? because i really want to battle using indians and so far i cant battle any indians as i made them all allies and protecorates.

Icon1 Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    o ok THAnk you very much wiz very gratefull but uh...lol i got another question that i forgot to add and i hope you can be as kind enough to answer it. and that is do you know how i can make it so i can recruit indian units? because i really want to battle using indians and so far i cant battle any indians as i made them all allies and protecorates.
    Open patch.pack in PFM and browse to DB>Units_tables, open Units and scroll to the right until you find the column "Region IDRef". When you've found it, just put "global" in that row.

oh no not those indians wiz lol i mean i want the indians that the real indians use like the medicine men and elite natives you know? on a sidenote has any one noticed that their men can rank up even though they dont rank up in the battle i had my winged hussars lvl up like that and i also had the same horses lvl up when they did nothing that battle. i saw that the experience table has a column that says xp_casualties. could this be mean that they rank up if your army causes this many casualties? and also i cant find the military_governor building in, building_units table. il test the casualties thing.

turns out that casualties is the casualties you sustain or the enemy does so thats out but i cant even edit the experience amount needed for rank 7 8 9 table only goes to 6.

also i found the building to the millitary governor barrakcs it does not say millitary in the table it says minor_governors_barracks.
    Last edited by moisesjns; March 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM.

You asked how can you recruit indian units. I answered your question. So what is your question now?

so indian units such as the cherokee nation units are not exclusive to them? hmm well ok then i understand that but now i gto a new question. one that may be hard to answer, so as every one knows if you charge your cavalry and the your units are in the way you can cause lots of f casualties and sadly CA made it so hoses keep killing each other in every battle that i use horses. my horses mostly always die by their own horse friends that are charging behind him, so i want to know has any one found any way to stop cavalry from killing each other?

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    so indian units such as the cherokee nation units are not exclusive to them? hmm well ok then i understand that but now i gto a new question. one that may be hard to answer, so as every one knows if you charge your cavalry and the your units are in the way you can cause lots of f casualties and sadly CA made it so hoses keep killing each other in every battle that i use horses. my horses mostly always die by their own horse friends that are charging behind him, so i want to know has any one found any way to stop cavalry from killing each other?
    If it is tied to charge mechanics then it may be very difficult...maybe try charging with less depth, ie. 2 rows deep as opposed to 4.

yea i have been doing single line charges problem is the diamond formation is almost useless as it kills off lots of cavalry and when charging a small group like say 30 people that have broken morale the cavalry all storm in from all sides and some kill each other. i just hope the next patch fixes this and i hope we dont get a few patches like medieval 2 did

Repeat this process (cloning the row of your chosen unit and renaming it.)with the other files as well:

Question. When you first find the unit to clone, do you have to be consistent when cloning the exact same unit every single time in the other files, or can you clone different units abilities to gain different aspects as long as the new Id name is consistent?

I.E. If I choose to clone native_musketmen to create new unit, do I have to clone that particular unit in every step too?
    Last edited by falcone79; March 30, 2009 at 01:56 PM.

"Sometimes the best words are those left unsaid..."

well ill post it here do not i repeat do NOT blockade any trade routes with a ship that you have edited as it causes crashes. i wish i could post this bug to ca or at least just say that blockading routes and then trying to reclick the fleet causes crashes but i cant find any site to post bugs found so here you go.

sigh it seems that no matte rwhat their is always ships that freeze my GOD seriously this game has worst bugs than medieval 2 !!..and yet i still keep playing it

by the way all SHIPS that are built in the americas are what make sthe game crash they only last one turn then they crash
    Last edited by moisesjns; March 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falcone79 View Post
    Repeat this process (cloning the row of your chosen unit and renaming it.)with the other files as well:

Question. When you first find the unit to clone, do you have to be consistent when cloning the exact same unit every single time in the other files, or can you clone different units abilities to gain different aspects as long as the new Id name is consistent?

I.E. If I choose to clone native_musketmen to create new unit, do I have to clone that particular unit in every step too?

*Bump* this post to remain on topic
    Anyone have an answer?

@falcone you can clone different units, it doesn't matter. Just make sure the ID is different, and everything else is consistent (f.e. the new unit names are the same in each tab).

Thank you, Power Wizard. So, I can clone a unit with the look I want, give it an ID, but then clone a different unit to give my new unit the stats I want and as long as the Id's match, then it should work?
    Last edited by falcone79; March 31, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

The ID of the unit is only relevant when you apply a texture to it. It's in the unit_stats_land_tables, see Step 3. In Step 2, you should just copy the rows of the units you'd like to clone. Make sure that the name of your custom unit is the same in each file.

Okay, I finally figured it out!
    Geez, that drop tab button won't work for me. Instead of scrolling through and selecting one of the options like: global, True, False, I had to actually type the word global or it would reset. Go figure.

+rep for helping me, PowerWizard!

Last edited by falcone79; April 01, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

Glad to be of help.

Guide updated with:

STEP 7. How to create an AOR unit

See the tutorial here.

Thanks for the tutorial PowerWizard - and thanks for adding my tut!

EDIT: I actually changed the name of the tutorial as I thought it was a bit ambiguous - it is not a tutorial on how to create units. I renamed it 'How to edit the AOR of units'.
    Last edited by Tharros; April 01, 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Van Diemen's Avatar Civis

I have a major problem with adding units. When I added new units I noticed that the unit response when you select them (their voice) becomes messed up. For example the General's bodyguard seems to respond with dialogues belonging to militia and elite infantry with conscripts, while I haven't edited them at all! It seems like there is some shift in the sound files when adding new units. When removing my mod and thus the custom units, the problem is gone again. Has anyone experienced this and is there some way to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    I have a major problem with adding units. When I added new units I noticed that the unit response when you select them (their voice) becomes messed up. For example the General's bodyguard seems to respond with dialogues belonging to militia and elite infantry with conscripts, while I haven't edited them at all! It seems like there is some shift in the sound files when adding new units. When removing my mod and thus the custom units, the problem is gone again. Has anyone experienced this and is there some way to fix it?
    No, and I'm afraid it runs deeper than that. When I clone a unit, some of it's abilities like cannon sounds, (early/late) availability, even the guns they use go away and I have to put them back manually. I'm not sure but I believe the packfile manager needs some tweaking. Regardless, my new custom units work, but with great mico observing over every tiny detail.

Van Diemen's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by falcone79 View Post
    No, and I'm afraid it runs deeper than that. When I clone a unit, some of it's abilities like cannon sounds, (early/late) availability, even the guns they use go away and I have to put them back manually. I'm not sure but I believe the packfile manager needs some tweaking. Regardless, my new custom units work, but with great mico observing over every tiny detail.
    Yes, I'm aware of that, however the problem I described is present even after manually adding the missing lines after cloning, it seems that we are still missing another file necessary to keep the voice response sounds in line.