Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - Complete Rookie's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Sorkenlol View Post
    Alright thanks, I'll do that. Got a crash when entering the faction in custom battle this time, I'm must've spelled something wrong. Going to check.

I still have some "custom_unit" left-overs in the files, is that fine?

I noticed the "units_class_to_unit_ability_junctions_tables" file, do I need to edit this one aswell?

Holy crap, it works! The unit has got no name though, it just says (Skirmishers), but it still works! Thank you guys very much!

EDIT: Fixed it by importing the same loc file to patch_en.pack Working all good now, great tutorial.

You said you created a new unit .. could we see a picture?

Thanks

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - Complete Rookie's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    You said you created a new unit .. could we see a picture?

Thanks

R

Sure.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 23, 2009 at 07:09 AM.

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - Complete Guide

Nice one, Sorkenlol. I rewrote the part MrThib mentioned.

Miles

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - Complete Guide

Nice work wiz.
    For the backup part of the textures that's not really important because the original are still in the model.pack.
    and for the last part, how to change the units model, my tutorial cover that too, unless you mean editing 3D models to make your own or create some from scratch.

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

I meant 3D models (corrected now and thanks for the heads-up). I'm just reading your tutorial now, so i'll be updating this guide once I've done and field-tested it.

edit: you are right about the backup thingie
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; March 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM.

Miles

@wiz:
    yes, there's no 3D model exporter/importer for now, we can just swap the existing ones.
    And feel free to post there any sort of feedback or if something I try to explain isn't clear enought (english is not my language and I've ended writing it at 3am so that's higly probable).

Ok I creates I followed the directions and the unit show up in the game, but for whatever reason the name I gave the unit doesn't appear, I just get the class, (Light Infantry) I made an entry into the localization file yet it still doesn't show up, how can I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Strategist View Post
    Ok I creates I followed the directions and the unit show up in the game, but for whatever reason the name I gave the unit doesn't appear, I just get the class, (Light Infantry) I made an entry into the localization file yet it still doesn't show up, how can I fix this?
    Yeah I had the same problem, it appears you have to change the actual loc file in patch_en.pack aswell. Just back your patch_en.pack file up and then make the same entry in the localization.loc located in there.

Miles

the best way for the custom loc file is to put it in a different pack and set is type to mod. That way you can keep the original untouched and it will overwrite the default at start. for whatever reason the loc pack don't seem to work in mods pack.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems that Sorkenlol is right and you have to implement the screen name changes in patch_en.pack too. I updated the guide with this info. For a more detailed tutorial on this, consult this thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239103

Miles

Oups, sorry I've read my previous post and it make no sense at all. it should have been:
    the best way for the custom loc file is to put it in a different pack and set is type to movie. That way you can keep the original untouched and it will overwrite the default at start.
    for whatever reason the loc pack don't seem to work in mods pack.
    Now that make sense.
    that's because of loading order: boot/release/patch/mod/movie.
    That's the best way to go.
    Never change the original if you can avoid it.

Finks ...

If the skins are the same size as M2TW, maybe the models are the same as well!! .. does this mean it might be very easily to port M2TW figures into ETW .. has anyone tried using old tools?

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    Oups, sorry I've read my previous post and it make no sense at all. it should have been:

Now that make sense.
    that's because of loading order: boot/release/patch/mod/movie.
    That's the best way to go.
    Never change the original if you can avoid it.
    That worked for me

cheers

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

I've decided to post this post in several threads in the hopes of getting as much feedback as possible, so don't be surprised if you see this popping up a few times..

For the past few hours, I've been working on a new grenadier uniform for the Dutch Republic, based on an actual drawing of a Dutch grenadier. Editing the .dds file was easy. I've had some experience editing textures for Civilization IV: Colonization and Europa Universalis III, which all use the same system..

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me figure out the gloss files this game uses. I remember a particular file for Europa Universalis III which used a similar system, but for some reason I managed to succesfully do there what I cannot do now..

Here's the problem: I added a historically accurate type of decoration to the jacket. This type isn't available in any of the other .dds textures or gloss maps, so I thought; why not make one myself? After first trying to get it to work without a custom gloss job (the original gloss shined through) and trying a black / white gloss map (the units are either all black or light gray), I've come to my wits end..

So, if there's anyone out there who might be able to help me out, I would be more than grateful! Tips, suggestions, criticism, anything is welcome as long as I manage to get this done and move on to the next project..

Here's the unit I'm talking about:

I've also uploaded the Photoshop .psd and .dds files in a .rar file for those of you who might want to check it out: http://files.filefront.com/DutchGren.../fileinfo.html

Like I said: any help would be greatly appreciated!

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Van Diemen's Avatar Civis

Finally I succeeded in creating Swiss Line Infantry for the United Provinces! After working on it for about 5 hours I managed to get it running, though I still have to adapt some stats and unit cards and change the the colour of their pants etc.

After some editing in the Gloss map, I have been able to add blue pants for the Swiss Line Infantry

Last edited by Van Diemen; March 24, 2009 at 06:10 AM.

Is there a way to make them unlockable by a research? My riflemen can be recruited anytime, I want them to only be able to be recruited when you've researched "Machined Rifling", can I do this?

aronnov's Avatar Tiro

if i make a unit for just Spain, will putting spain in the "unit's to exclusive faction permissions" do the trick or does Spain mean Spain cultured factions such as Portugal too?
    Honor ... means that a man is not exceptional; fame, that he is. Fame is something which must be won; honor, only something which must not be lost. ~ Schopenhauer

dutch musketeer's Avatar Libertus

those units looks nice
    'I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.' -Voltaire

Supporter of Toontotalwars : Continental,British,Hessian,Spanish & French Armies All-in-One Mod Packs: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244468
    And
    The Great war mod(check this out)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...reat-War-(TGW)

Van Diemen's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by dutch musketeer View Post
    those units looks nice
    When I have some more time (this weekend) I will try to create some more units for the United Provinces, especially some more "mercenaries" like Swiss grenadiers and Scottish line infantry and if people like them I can always upload them of course. Though first I would still like to improve the current unit by adding a unit card, text etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorkenlol View Post
    Is there a way to make them unlockable by a research? My riflemen can be recruited anytime, I want them to only be able to be recruited when you've researched "Machined Rifling", can I do this?

In the unit_required_technology you can set prerequisite technolgies.

Aronnov - The units_to_exclusive factions does set it up so that only the single faction you put can create the unit, you can put more than one faction per unit in that file or add an entry in unit_to_groupings which adds units to groups.