Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Thanks for the info have managed to sucessfully create and use my four units in my game. However now i'm getting a red card when i try to replace the unit card.

1. I've put the tga in ui/unit/icon in both my mod and in the main ui pack
    2. I've changed the 12th column in unit tables to the tga name

The right click uit details screen during battle is also confusing me.

Picture
    1. I've found out the column to change in the unit tables file
    2. added tga to ui/unit/info

details
    how do you change the text in the unit description

thanks again

luke

@Sknit:

That's because you're using that demo mod pack, which doesn't contain every file. You need to use the PFM to open up patch.pack in your game folder, find the table you need, right-click and use "Extract Selected", then open up your mod pack and right click on the line that says "db" and click "Add File". Grab the file from where you just extracted it to (use the default file path) and there you go. Be sure you have the mod file in your game's data folder already when you start adding tables so there aren't any pathing issues.

@applelover: I'm having the same issue with my custom unit cards. From the very little I've been able to find by searching the forums, I think there is another image (icon mask) used by the game to paint the faction colors onto the unit cards, and the tutorial doesn't mention that. I'm trying to figure out how to make a blank icon mask that ignores the faction colors so I can just take a JPG off the internet and save it to the correct size as a TGA and make it work, but I'm not having any luck. My photo editing skills are extremely rusty and I don't remember much about alpha channels and all that.
    Last edited by Gilthanor; April 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Sknit's Avatar Biarchus

Gilthanor,
    Cheers for answering but all that sounds rather dificult so i think i'll just give up on modding.

Also how many posts do i need to post to be able to give people rep.
    Last edited by Sknit; April 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
    - Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

Quote Originally Posted by applelover View Post
    details
    how do you change the text in the unit description
    You have to open up your patch_en.pack (if you have the English version) and extract the localisation.loc from Text and add it to your mod. There are three fields you need to add for each custom unit. For example, if you use green_dragoons as your unit name in the PFM, it would be this:

units_on_screen_name_green_dragoons
    unit_description_texts_description_text_green_dragoons
    unit_description_texts_long_description_text_green_dragoons

The description text is what you see on the custom battle UI when you hover over the unit card etc. The long description text is what you see when you go into more detail about the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sknit View Post
    Gilthanor,
    Cheers for answering but all that sounds rather dificult so i think i'll just give up on modding.

Also how many posts do i need to post to be able to give people rep.
    Just download another mod that changes some units. Delete all the fields you don't want and change the ones you want.

Sknit's Avatar Biarchus

Ahhhh a solution once again i thank you (i wish i could rep you) Cheers mate.
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanor View Post
    @applelover: I'm having the same issue with my custom unit cards. From the very little I've been able to find by searching the forums, I think there is another image (icon mask) used by the game to paint the faction colors onto the unit cards, and the tutorial doesn't mention that. I'm trying to figure out how to make a blank icon mask that ignores the faction colors so I can just take a JPG off the internet and save it to the correct size as a TGA and make it work, but I'm not having any luck. My photo editing skills are extremely rusty and I don't remember much about alpha channels and all that.
    Solution found in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...64#post5058164

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Just download another mod that changes some units. Delete all the fields you don't want and change the ones you want.
    Actually that would be wonderful for people who've never done this before. Someone should release sample mods. Like a sample for how to set up a custom infantry regiment, artillery, eta.

I'm having a problem with not being able to get anyone elses mods to work either. Out of everything I've tried only the Unlock all Factions and a Drummer Sound mod has worked. I dunno why nothing else will. If I can't get anyone elses to work I can not tell if i'm getting it right or wrong. lol
    Last edited by Lumina; April 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Sknit's Avatar Biarchus

Yeah, Lumina i agree with you about the sample mod packs. i cannot seem to get any mod what so ever working. seeing as you have downloaded the all factions have you had any CTD's.

Also i have created some units that are in the data folder and yet i cant use em in game any ideas as to what i could of done wrong.

I also think that a video should be put on youtube that shows you how to make your own unit because i no i and many others would find it easier.
    Last edited by Sknit; April 27, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

You have to open up your patch_en.pack (if you have the English version) and extract the localisation.loc from Text and add it to your mod. There are three fields you need to add for each custom unit. For example, if you use green_dragoons as your unit name in the PFM, it would be this:

units_on_screen_name_green_dragoons
    unit_description_texts_description_text_green_dragoons
    unit_description_texts_long_description_text_green_dragoons

The description text is what you see on the custom battle UI when you hover over the unit card etc. The long description text is what you see when you go into more detail about the unit.
    Top work, descriptions are on the way

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

When I try to open a file from C:\Program Files\Sega\Empire Total War\Data it says I am not unauthorized to open the files and I can't effort it to copy my files to an directory I can open them. What can I do about it.

I got Vista Home Premium

How do you add your textures to the pack. Which pack? anim.pack? I just downloaded Swiss french expat (.dds) file and don't know where to put it so it works.

hhhhhhoooooooooooraaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hpoe its not to hard to use

When trying to add my custom unit to "Units" under units_tables i get an error "system.formatexception: imput string was not in correct format" error msg and it wont let me save my unit... any ideas? im using everything tahts been linked here

turn off the UAC that vista comes with.. its under the users tab in control panel if i rem correctly

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

I have a copy of the 2nd patch that came out (the really bad one) laying around. I would like to take its unit file (with original costs and upkeep) and put it into the new patch.

1. How would I do that?
    2. Did the last patch change anything else in the unit file other then MP early/late, cost, and upkeep?
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Makoy View Post
    I have a copy of the 2nd patch that came out (the really bad one) laying around. I would like to take its unit file (with original costs and upkeep) and put it into the new patch.

1. How would I do that?
    2. Did the last patch change anything else in the unit file other then MP early/late, cost, and upkeep?
    Export both to .tsv. Open them in a spreadsheet, cut/paste the old one in the appropriate columns of the new one. Save. Import back into the Pack File Manager as .tsv. If you don't have spreadsheet software, download OpenOffice and use Calc.

I think those are the only changes in the units table.

i new in modding tw games. first question would be: is it possible to add and edit units from the other mods, or do i have to create each unit from the original data folder files?

demis14's Avatar Miles

Great work PowerWizard, to compile all the tutorials together!!

My suggestion is though, to improve the tutorials, is when you reach the point when you have to building_units_allowed, then I believe the tutorial should also add something like "copy or clone all the lines of the original unit and rename it accordingly", because from experience, there are units like euro_carabiniers for example, that are recruitable in other buildings, other than the military buildings, e.g. minor_governors_encampment. Failing to do that, will result in to having the custom unit, losing its real role in the game like the original unit. (except if someone wants to)

Other than, that, superb and clear work!!

Cheshire Cat's Avatar Civis

Power ive followed your tutorial stap by step but im have problems repacking my file how do i do this is there a tool i need to download ?