Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the game to utilize your new .pack file

Default Getting the game to utilize your new .pack file

I could use a hand here. I've been editing some files, have them in my own .pack, I've changed that .pack to a Patch .pack, but I cannot get the game to utilize the changed files.

Help!

RodeoX's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Getting the game to utilize your new .pack file

Does the patch include the correct directory structure? For example, if you made a mod for a tutorial battle the patch would have to have the modded file and the tutorialbattle folder inside.

I'm only editing files in from the main.pack db directory.

So should my tree go

my-patch.pack
    +db

and then the files themselves?

RodeoX's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote07 View Post
    I'm only editing files in from the main.pack db directory.

So should my tree go

my-patch.pack
    +db

and then the files themselves?
    yes. the patch has to have the directory with your modded file.

Like this:
    Data folder
    ............|_db folder
    ........................|_the_fie_you_are_editing
    Last edited by RodeoX; March 17, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo

patch.pack overwrites a lot of the dbs, so make sure the dbs you are editing aren't also in patch.pack.

next, make sure your pack file is named properly. if there are files in it that are in patch.pack you need to make sure the game loads your pack file AFTER the patch.pack file, so name it something higher in the alphabet than p. for instance, my-patch wouldn't work...call it zz_mypatch or something.

Quote Originally Posted by solecist View Post
    patch.pack overwrites a lot of the dbs, so make sure the dbs you are editing aren't also in patch.pack.

next, make sure your pack file is named properly. if there are files in it that are in patch.pack you need to make sure the game loads your pack file AFTER the patch.pack file, so name it something higher in the alphabet than p. for instance, my-patch wouldn't work...call it zz_mypatch or something.
    I just tried the alphabetical thing, but it doesn't seem to work. I would like to know if this works for others as well, because I may have done something else wrong.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Yeah it seemed to me that the issue is somewhat more complicated than that. I had a new patch pack (called zalpaca.pack ) and some files would be read from there but other would be taken from patch.pack. I've changed my working method to directly editing patch.pack

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

I'm going to be honest, you arn't making much sense, but I really appreciate your help.

I've got my .pack file, I've got the pack's relative path set to the data folder. My tree shows

mypack.pack
    +db
    +4 or 5 file directories and files

I have no idea why it won't work, it's immensely frusterating. If I extract the files and load the directory to another mod whose .pack I know loads, it'll work. The instant I change the name or save it as something else, it stops working after I delete the files from the hijacked mod .pack.

Just tried the alphabetical thing, it didn't work.
    Last edited by Quixote07; March 17, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

weirdly enough i recently switched from my current pack and made a new one (because the old one was giving me trouble for some reason), but found that this new pack would not overwrite any file from patch.pack. i tried remaking and renaming it 10 times with no luck. then i dug up my original mod pack file from the recycle bin and just added my newly changed stuff to it and to my great surprise this worked fine. so i'm pretty sure i have the golden ticket pack file or something, because all my changes work fine as long as i work within this one file.

maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was made using an earlier version of the pack manager?

quixote: if that's the case, why not just use someone else's pack file? you can just delete the content from it and add your own.
    Last edited by solecist; March 17, 2009 at 06:30 PM.

Because I was hoping to release the changes I made as a realism patch, I'm very very close to making a good damage scaling model between close and long range, and a bunch of other stuff.

I can't release it with someone else's file name

I'm going to try to remake it with an old version of PackFileManager, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also, this fix only seems to work sometimes. Sometimes I can get the files to read, sometimes I can't.
    Last edited by Quixote07; March 17, 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Somewhat success.

it loads everything but units_tables, as far as I can tell.

No idea how to get that file to load, though.

haha, change the name of the pack file? duh?

unless you already tried that in which case i withdraw my duh

I've tried a-p and p-z, it loads everything but that one file every time. I have no idea why. I can't figure out a way to force it to load it.

i mean change the name of the pack file for the mod you have that has a working pack file. does that also produce the same results? one file that doesn't load?

if alpaca is having the same problems we're probably all screwed

Any .pack you create will be overridden by the official patch.pack. Find the file that isn't loading in patch.pack and replace it in there. I am crossing my fingers that someone figures out how to get past this, but for now that's how to do it.
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website

Would an rather awkward way of renaming patch.pack to somethingelse.pack and/or have your patch be named patch.pack work?

Quote Originally Posted by smbh View Post
    Would an rather awkward way of renaming patch.pack to somethingelse.pack and/or have your patch be named patch.pack work?
    From what I've seen, when there are more than one patch packs that reference same file, the choice seems to be random-ish with what we know (there may be some pattern, but none that we're aware of).

My prefered method of work-around would be to delete corresponding files from the patch.pack, so even if they patch the patch pack, you still have your modifications packs intact, though you may have to go ahead and delete things again.
    Anyone with better workarounds or new discoveries?

Timestamp on files would probably be a way too easy lol

Quote Originally Posted by waronmars View Post
    Any .pack you create will be overridden by the official patch.pack. Find the file that isn't loading in patch.pack and replace it in there. I am crossing my fingers that someone figures out how to get past this, but for now that's how to do it.
    apparently you didn't read the thread. this isn't true. i have several patch.pack files in my own pack file that overwrite the originals just fine (my unit_land_stats, for instance, works just fine), and there are other mods packs that overwrite patch.pack files successfully (as quixote has already stated). i would assume it has something to do with the pack manager but that is just a guess based on a lack of other culprits.

No, it's not the PFM. A patch pack is a patch pack, we just don't know what criteria is used to choose between overlapping files in the patch packs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast