Thread: All cavalry in MP

Default All cavalry in MP

I always play 2v2, with a friend on headset. He or I will either go all infantry + arty and the other all cavalry. We unite the two armies. This works well and makes for a good experience playing with a friend. 800 cavalry charging has a devastating effect that's for sure. By charging 400 through the enemy (to positions behind), whilst the other half engages head on, this sends many full units routing. Wondering if anyone else has played like so. I see moaning about "balanced armies", but ultimately in this case it is still a balanced army, just with split responsibilities.

Default Re: All cavalry in MP

Honestly its not really the type of game history buffs are looking for, good for fun games and 4 people doing the same thing in a 2v2 but really, I don't think its fun, I tried it with a mate in my RTW days, its rather dull and honestly, not balance at all. Probably more effiecent but to certain degree, you win only because you can do it with a mate, most people like me would be very happy to have a thinking partner for a simple 2v2.

I think a lone player can each up a cav only army with square formations though?
    ingame name: Judas
    Faction: Sweden

I'm not sure how effective cavalry armies are, I was online in a 4v4 and my Prussian allies got hit by a full load of Ulhans (or called something similar) but before the infantry routed we had the time to bring all our fire upon the cavalry and destroy them.

king-nord's Avatar Ordinarius

I can't use cavlary is this game to save my life which is odd because i won most my games entirely through cavlary in the older tw's.

Team Paullus

This is a horribe tactic. A line infantry unit in box formation can easily kill like 2-3 charghing uhlans.

Cavalry are no longer the UBER-knights of old. Even heavy cav, which are slow lazy gits, die under a volley of fire compared to Knights who could weather arrow fire without too many casualties.

Plus, once engaged, only light infantry are beatable in drawn out melee.

Personally, however, i think cav are utterly invaluable, and used properly will turn the tide of most battles. Number of times a surprise cavalry charge has plucked victory from the jaws of defeat for me...

Charges into the front of a line of inf though? Mostly suicide i would guess.

Charge of the Light Brigade-esque.

agree with Norpheus and Lord Karhedron. Maybe with the exception of royal cavalry an Cavalry unit by himself can`t defeat an line infantry in a frontal attack (fire loses in a frontal charge will disband you unit most of times) and you must take care of enemy cavalry who can attack your back. and the cost of an only cavalry army reduces your manpower that give your enemy the possibility to give their ally some troops (if he is a good defender) to defeat your ally.
    I don`t know how this tactic win battles for you. maybe surprise of first time.
    sorry for my alien English