Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: IB2 VANDALORVM II DISCUSSION/FEEDBACK

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: INVASIO BARBRORUM 2 RELEASED BETA DISCUSSION

I think the armour issue goes back to Vegetius mentioning that troops petitioned not to have to wear armour or helmets - http://www.sonshi.com/vegetius.html

The exact section eludes me at the moment. I know that there is debate about whether Vegetius was in fact indirectly alluding to Gratian's Alan foederates whom he showed favour to and which caused him to be overthrown and/or guard units on ceremonial duties, or whether indeed actual front-line troops were included in his comment. I think it is worthwhile remembering that the state fabricae are shown in the Notitia explicitly manufacturing several types or armour - and also that I cannot personally recall reading any military history of the ancient world where troops petitioned to remove armour and helmets?! Can anyone correct me in this?

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    I think the armour issue goes back to Vegetius mentioning that troops petitioned not to have to wear armour or helmets - http://www.sonshi.com/vegetius.html

The exact section eludes me at the moment. I know that there is debate about whether Vegetius was in fact indirectly alluding to Gratian's Alan foederates whom he showed favour to and which caused him to be overthrown and/or guard units on ceremonial duties, or whether indeed actual front-line troops were included in his comment. I think it is worthwhile remembering that the state fabricae are shown in the Notitia explicitly manufacturing several types or armour - and also that I cannot personally recall reading any military history of the ancient world where troops petitioned to remove armour and helmets?! Can anyone correct me in this?
    Well in The Strategikon, Maurice tells his troops to remove their pennants and hide their armor so they're not seen from a distance. But not remove armor.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

That's more a tactical issue rather than troops rebelling (as it were!) against the very idea of armour, I think.

On another note - playing the BETA and wondering on the lack of forts at the Limes? MTWII has the fort/castle option and I think this might work well given the late Roman limes and the castra which guarded it. I am actually in the process of moving Bonifacius around the African diocese just so he can erect fortified camps and so simulate the limes network which IBFD 7.03 represents so well. Any thoughts on this element?

Other thoughts so far: love the dirtying up of the units and the overall quality of the artwork on them - I do have reservations on the mismatched shield-designs within units and the armoured/unarmoured mix as noted earlier. My personal preference within Comitanses/Palatinae units is for seperate unit types rather than types mingled in within units - although I think the limitanei and other low grade troops should be a mishmash.

The cataphract with couched kontos has already been mentioned - it did look odd but balanced against this is the difficulty in changin the animations. Period artillery pieces would be nice also! Gosh, I do want to be spoiled!!!

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

That's more a tactical issue rather than troops rebelling (as it were!) against the very idea of armour, I think.
    True, but it's all I could remember off the top of my head.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Other thoughts so far: love the dirtying up of the units and the overall quality of the artwork on them - I do have reservations on the mismatched shield-designs within units and the armoured/unarmoured mix as noted earlier. My personal preference within Comitanses/Palatinae units is for seperate unit types rather than types mingled in within units - although I think the limitanei and other low grade troops should be a mishmash.
    !!!
    I am currently working on new shields for the barbarians to match the designs of IBRR. Also more uniform shield patterns for the romans. Currently working on the milites. They are coming. Also the armoe progression has been discussed in the dev forum. Ramon will be working on that I believe and I will be helping him I believe.

lots of work to do yet!!
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Thanks, Midnite. Great to hear that. I don't envy you all the work - I only enjoy playing this stuff so just get the best parts!

Many thx for this IB2 team, finaly a non medieval mod, and a nice one.
    Love the units, the overall style of the mod.

Maybe the Romans have to get a bit moore uniformed units(the heavy)here and there some fixes, but im sure we will get fast updates.

Thx for this release

Ehm, no one answered me, so I'll ask this again. How is this different from the Pre-beta?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    Ehm, no one answered me, so I'll ask this again. How is this different from the Pre-beta?
    To be honest I'm not absolutely sure. But we recently increased the per turn years to.. 4. midnight has been adding new textures. Cities may have changed composition slightly. Nevada has worked further on the wonderful map he has created..There are probably many more things

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

It is an incredible work, even more as this is only a beta. I played the original IBFD for RTW and i must say that i am really happy to see you guys porting it to the next plataform. I also noted how you ported the FRANCISCAS trhowing axes, really cool to see these axes flying in M2TW. As a suggestion the model when is going to trhow the axe, is carrying it from the incorrect side...well just watch the guy on the position "ready" before he trhow and you´ll see what i mean. I also saw that some shields were really big, more circular and less ovular shape, don´t know if this is intented. And the last thing, i noted a lack of responsiveness with the troops, i mean, they were not fighting well or obeying orders. I could compare it to vanilla M2TW at first before any patch, something like that. I hope to not be too rude, just trying to help. Again Keep up the good work and thank you for releasing this beta

brigand sagitarrii are missing their bows...

also, shields seem to be quite large. this would affect the clipping issues

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

One of the Regions in Africa to it's Western Border has a weird set of numbers where there should be Religious Percentage and certain areas you can't convert, i'll try to remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-D Ron View Post
    One of the Regions in Africa to it's Western Border has a weird set of numbers where there should be Religious Percentage and certain areas you can't convert, i'll try to remember them.
    I'm getting the same thing in several different settlements in varying locations (no geographical similarity)

the animations all seem to move very slow. is this just a M2TW thing?

Lepsis Magn should (I think) be Lepsis Magna. Also, my cities inexplicably and randomly go to auto-manage and I can't undo it unless I move a general over there (they were previously manually managed without a general).

I'm not bored yet, so that's a good sign.

Great mod so far!
    I like having something between 217 b.C. and 1014 a.d.
    Are there plans for further updates in future?

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    Great mod so far!
    I like having something between 217 b.C. and 1014 a.d.
    Are there plans for further updates in future?

Yes, absolutely. The IB2 team is working hard.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

The constant CTDs must be your hardware issue I played it for several days and have only one CTD. What is your Video Card Ashley?
    Maybe I'm alone here but I do like the look of Roman troops, People are spoiled by Hollywood glamour and forget that first real uniforms (outside Papal Swiss Guard) were intruduced in XVIII century but even in modern times all militaries aside from the richest NATO forces are quite diverse in uniforms patterns and combat kit:

The Fabricae were not machinised and Roman troops were constantly campaigning since 406. So don't expect hand picked palace guard type of troops in neat uniforms and with shining weapons.
    The stone permament forts from kingdoms Britania will be good adition.
    The Greek Fire only in Heraclius submod as it was introduced in period when Roman army was again totaly remodeled.
    The higher cost for high level Roman troops will be nice as today I have no reason to keep Roman militia crap when I can train superior limitanei troops for the same price and upkeep.
    BTW Border Troops inside Italy?

Very good mod just a quistion which area of the map will you now work on ? (which will be the second campain? )

Quote Originally Posted by Byz View Post
    Lepsis Magn should (I think) be Lepsis Magna. Also, my cities inexplicably and randomly go to auto-manage and I can't undo it unless I move a general over there (they were previously manually managed without a general).

I'm not bored yet, so that's a good sign.

Hi Byz We Thank You
    -Will correct the city name
    -You can control a cities functions w/o a general by clicking game options while in the game. I just tried it.
    -Many new advances to the mod are forth coming so if your not bored now don't think you ever will

Quote Originally Posted by firekiller View Post
    Very good mod just a quistion which area of the map will you now work on ? (which will be the second campain? )
    We thank You firekiller
    This is being discussed. Much work and time though is going into improving the beta

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Borealis View Post
    The constant CTDs must be your hardware issue I played it for several days and have only one CTD. What is your Video Card Ashley?
    Maybe I'm alone here but I do like the look of Roman troops, People are spoiled by Hollywood glamour and forget that first real uniforms (outside Papal Swiss Guard) were intruduced in XVIII century but even in modern times all militaries aside from the richest NATO forces are quite diverse in uniforms patterns and combat kit:

The Fabricae were not machinised and Roman troops were constantly campaigning since 406. So don't expect hand picked palace guard type of troops in neat uniforms and with shining weapons.
    The stone permament forts from kingdoms Britania will be good adition.
    The Greek Fire only in Heraclius submod as it was introduced in period when Roman army was again totaly remodeled.
    The higher cost for high level Roman troops will be nice as today I have no reason to keep Roman militia crap when I can train superior limitanei troops for the same price and upkeep.
    BTW Border Troops inside Italy?

Hey Draco
    -The constant CTDs
    Could be a graphics card issue. I know they can re act differently to the models and textures. We are concerned about that and are more concerned if they are fatal whereby the player would not be able to re load the game and play through the battle.

-People are spoiled by Hollywood glamor:
    The 5th century more than any other century may have had a barbarianization(a word? lol) on the Roman army as the Roman army also had on the Barbarian armies. In some ways possible myths but the influence of the Germanic tribes on the Roman army can't be ignored.
    I think the main issue here that people are focused on is that the heavier Roman armoured units should be more uniformed in the amour they are wearing.
    Also the barbarians will be more distinguished between each other but this will be more to do with appearance and not armour

-The higher cost for high level Roman troops
    Good point..this is currently being worked on(more diversity in costs) and tested.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    the animations all seem to move very slow. is this just a M2TW thing?
    They do appear slower huh? I'm not sure why...battles are longer but not sure if its to do with the animations or a M2TW thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-D Ron View Post
    Will look at this thanks
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 19, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod