Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Those Greeks bastards! How dare they try to take the life of a tribune of Rome, in such a coward way!

Certainly something must be done. From the options given by Consul Crassus, I'll first adress the idea of making a quick troop movement from the forces in the Punic Islands, and move them to Sicily. This leaves us with 2 problems: First, the Consular Army will leave it's position in the Islands, leaving them defenseless, in case of an, improbable, yet possible Punic attack. Secondly, the so far unstoppable force that has been conquering the territories in Carthaginian territories will halt, losing it's momentum and giving the Carthaginians some chance to reorganize.

Also, the trip through the sea is quite unsafe. The sea is still infested with the unmatched Carthaginian (and maybe even some Greek) fleet, and it would be risky to send our troops all the way to Sicily, with possibility of loosing them all in the sea.

On the other hand, the other possibility seems far wiser. From what I can see, the Greeks have not yet moved near the border, or into our territory, or shown any immediate threat of invasion. Sending me to the island to organize a force and a defense for the last few months of this term could allow Crassus to continue with the campaign, and once the term is over, the new Consuls would have the troops ready in campaign, and the Proconsul of the Island should be able to be in a better militarily organized territory.
    Last edited by Ozy; March 29, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I agree with Pictors suggestion, that he be sent to prepare the island for the proconsul and that Crassus should continue his work in Corsica and Sardinia.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

OOC: I'll upload the save later, but you'll need to raise Italics and march them south, no chance in hell is there enough time to raise a new proper legion.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

OOC: When I said "sending me to the island to organize a force and a defense" I meant it in an RP way.
    There is really nothing to be done, I think, as, IIRC, troops won't be recruitable in the island until sometime next year. Still, some roleplay must be done to represent our response to the Greek hostilities so that's why I said that .

I think the only thing that could be done would be me commanding the army in Sicily were a battle to take place this turn (this is the last turn of the year, right?).
    Last edited by Ozy; March 29, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

OOC: There would probably be time for me to get there with the army in Corsica, and there might be time to get there with Italian infantry recruited from around Rome, or at least you'd get there in time to attack Syracuse. The forces we have on the island could probably repel an attack.

In short, you will probably get there too late to fight the defence of Lilybaeum, but they can probably hold the Greeks off at the walls. But there aren't enough men there to chase the Greeks off the island completely.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; March 30, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)