Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Default Re: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    You can't rep people until you've hit 50 (or 60) posts. I'll do it for both of us.
    +rep
    Right on, thanks. (So what is +rep anyways?)

Wonderful Stuff Madboris. Did it last night on Vista 64 OS after being kicked out of a large battle twice in a row. After performing the walkaround, I then played a 4 hour 2 armies (me, Prussia) vs 3 armies United Provinces, and then
    immediately after a 2 hour 2 armies vs 2 armies with no problem whatsoever. You are unquestionably the man

If you know how to use programs like "CFF Explorer" you can also manually change the large address awareness.
    There seem to be alot of programs benefitting from that change. It seems that setting the large address awareness flag in programs not specifically tested for large address usage does not cause any harm, because if the program crashes because of this flag it would also crash because of running out of memory.
    I had suggested it for the RomeTW_BI.exe and it makes those after battle crashes disappear (at least when using Vista64). I have also read that it is recommended for "The Witcher".
    Yesterday I played ETW for 5 hours (no naval battles) and it did not crash.
    I am using the german version on Vista64, on a PC with Intel X9650 Quadcore, 8 GB Ram, a GTX295 with 182.08 drivers (set to single GPU [NVidia recommended] since MultiGPU settings causes massive graphic corruption).

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Harperbry View Post
    Right on, thanks. (So what is +rep anyways?)
    Under the number of posts between the 'status' and 'report' buttons there is an eagle (I am using the Rome interface - this appears to the bottom left hand side of the page you are looking at). By pressing this I can add to the reputation of the poster.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'd suggest that you have a read of the 'FAQ' and 'Rule' on the menu list. There is some useful information in there.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

wow, very good info in here...good job guys!

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Didn't work for me. Actually made it worse on my machine.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

KingDazza's Avatar Libertus

Still testing, but so far in 5 hours I have had no ctd at all and no performance drop either after applying this fix. I am ever so grateful Boris

Stability has been my main gripe with this early release and it would appear to be pretty much fixed so far. Normally after a couple of hours, performance would have deteriorated with a ctd expected anytime there after. This fix is showing signs that this has been eliminated. Will post again if any ctd returns.

Many thanks once again Boris. Superb slice of gaming ahead for me now.... if only the stuttering campaign map would now go away too

Cheers

Searched high and low for people who share my CTD problem, and not once have I been told about a fix/update/patch or been linked to a place where someone to do with the game has addressed it by someone.

This is literally the first attempt I've seen of someone helping, or at this length at least. I've just done it now, and it sounds very promising, promising enough to make me want to give it a go as I told myself I'd never touch the thing untill it was fixed, so I really hope it works. Much thanks, and obv I can't rep you, but if it works I'll climb on top of Buckingham Palace butt nekkid with " + rep for Boris " drawn on my body with a sharpie marker pen, which eventually you'll see on the news, before I get arrested for being a terrorist threat o.O

Much thanks <3

I've used Mad's app, and it gives me this error:

"EDITBIN: Fatal Error LNK1104: Cannot open file "Empire.exe" Large Address Aware has been enabled."

Hello everyone,

yesterday evening I tryied this Workaround step by step, I run Vista 32 Bit.
    My Sys Set is: 4 GB RAM (800), Geforce 8800GT 1GB VRAM, E8400 @ 3ghz, 550W Be Quiet and MSI P35-Neo2.

First I would like to say that I am actually not able to run "Command" in Admin Mode, everything else is able too... my PC only got one Account, which actually is the "Admin" So i wonder why i cant run it on admin.

Anyway i tried it, typed in the userva increase and hit enter. A small black_task box appeared, but only for about 1 sec, than it dissapeared. After typing in "bcedit" to see if the change was done the same box appeared again and gone after 1 sec.

Anyway i changed the Exe to the modified one and forced my pc to reboot.
    While rebooting it looked like the change was done, cause he needed about 30secs and i heard him booting ram.

After all i started the game and made a few battles in great campaign , a few of them were really really big, before the workaround those battles knocked me out actually.

BUT

theres actually one weird problem, in siege battles the loading screen starts to flicker half of the time, the amount of units in fight does not seem to affect it, as i am sometimes able to run a siege with a full forced army against a CPU with a full stacked army and it runs smooth... one turn later i play a Siege with 3 Line-Infantry + Cityhabitans against an CPU attack with 4 Units which are all not at full size, and it actually crashes!

But now it crashes diffierent from what it did before... it starts to flicker in loading screen, i can hear the army in the back, and also the click sound when clicking at the place on the loading screen were the hotbar is in battles... the only way to fix it is by removing empire from task... re-switch into the game from desctop das not seem to help anything.... the loading screen stops to flicker goes to top but does not dissapear.

So what i did wrong?
    Thanks for the Workaround @madboris!

Well, the good news is, it worked fine for me.
    I whored the game for the most of last night and today, and while going through the 1730s played with hope I would not see the CTD, and I did not, it was great.. I'd taken over Prussia, was about to kill france with 8 maxed armies, getting well o n my way to being the furthest in tech advances ive ever been, and in 1742 the game froze... I started up hoping it was a one off, but after the turn it freezes when its my turn again

I guess thats it, shame really, I wouldn't mind it having problems if it was a problem that still allowed me to actually play the game, I wouldnt care as the game is great, just happens that the problems are stopping you from playing it, waste of money and waste of time if they know about this and don't seem to want or are able to do anything about it.

i have suffered only once from out of video memory problem after about 3.5-4 hrs of gameplay than i directly looked for a solution and saw this topic than applied it. i have played for very long (4+ hrs) sessions and never had a crash. thx a lot.
    Last edited by bachree; March 23, 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the fix, I can see it helped lots of people here. I myself had a CTD when I end turn/making agreements.. I tried your solution but I still encounter the problem... I don't understand what did I do wrong. I rebooted, and I checked the .exe. I use Vista 64-bit.

Thanks it really worked, I played at least 15 hours after doing this with no crash due to Insufficient memory.

KingDazza's Avatar Libertus

Yeah its resolved the insufficient memory error. However I still get occasional exe stopped working errors just by clicking on units or doing things on the campaign map. At least I can play for several hours now.

Still some way to go then to get complete stability.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

in your Windows Task Manager set the game to low priority. That should solve some of the CTDs and Map problems, if not all of the problems.

sux being dyslexic and trying to do this eek=(

Ahh finally got thru it all biggest problem i had was getting the boot to show its face.. had to do 2 seperate things to get it to show up.. not going to try to explain was just troublesome since it is all in swedish and these wonderfull instructions are in english ;P

Thanks a bundle Boris you old bear..
    Last edited by WarStory; March 25, 2009 at 05:20 AM.

Emperor_of_Italy's Avatar Libertus

Hey, I've been trying to get this to work for two days now.

In the workaround it says to find empire.exe in SteamApps. Problem is, I can't find it. All I have in my SteamApps is this:

winui.gcf
    SourceMods (Empty Folder)

Can you guys please tell me where to find it?
    I love this game and really want to play it and am very stressed out after hours of relentless efforts to install this and make it work. I've tried pasting the empire.exe from the game directory in the 3GB enabler folder, but then the .bat file says that the 'supremecommander.exe' has not been copied to the folder.

Help!

Thanks,

Emperor_of_Italy

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

search - empire.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war

Emperor_of_Italy's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    search - empire.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war
    Thanks for your help, but I searched and I still couldn't find it. And there is no folder called common in my Steam.