Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Default Re: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

heh; had the reverse effect for me. now i get a cdt EVERY time i finish a battle. the ctd's were only when i had more than 2 armies on the field before.......

now im going back to the original empire.exe and disabling superfetch...

hope CA fix this soon....
    Viva la France
    q9550|quad core enabled with CPU Control 2.1|GTX 480|6GB DDR2|Vista HP 64bit|BenQG2420

Oh Dear! mine just crashed after it slowed up really bad.

Sounds very much like a memory prob.

i have Vista 32 - 4G ram - ATI 4850 GPU.

I'll use this fix if it's stable, does everyone who's done the fix have a stable system? Or should i wait for 64bt EXE? hmmmmmm

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    heh; had the reverse effect for me. now i get a cdt EVERY time i finish a battle. the ctd's were only when i had more than 2 armies on the field before.......

now im going back to the original empire.exe and disabling superfetch...

hope CA fix this soon....
    I thought the after battle crash is a different crash that came up in recent patches due to the sound subsystem.
    I heard there was an after battle crash as well as one after battle crash when clicking after the post battle results.
    Last edited by MadBoris; March 28, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

mmm well that may be, but i have no idea myself.

i have installed etw on 32bit vista now (got 32and 64bit vista in different partitions same hdd)

i applied the instructions regarding 2500mb and the altered etw exe file.... no problems as yet...but i havent done much playing. i hope to have more luck with the 32bit os. i also turned off the prefetcher just incase there was some additional prefetched crap (ala vista) taking up ram.

for whatever reason the sound seems a bit better than it was, although i really have to get close to the troops to get the full effect. distancing effect of battle noise is broken for me. im only using mobo onboard sound asus p5q-pro. seems eerily quiet at times as sound cuts out not far from the troops if that makes sense. just using windows default sound setting.

im hoping the altered exe file etc has actually enabled >2GB ram. i have found that with this recent install that i cannot ALT+TAB out of the game...?
    i hope that little bit more ram (500MB) makes a difference.

edit:...no luck system hang in campaign map afterbattle

(put in blood smoke and sound mods...excellent work thx)
    Last edited by adamsleath; March 28, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    Viva la France
    q9550|quad core enabled with CPU Control 2.1|GTX 480|6GB DDR2|Vista HP 64bit|BenQG2420

Bawha's Avatar Civis

I tried this fix to see if it would resolved the ctd after a battle (upon returing to campaign map), sadly it didnt. It did however improve overall performance of the game.

I'll try turning off the sound the next battle i go in. Tho playing without sound is wacked. =(

Damn, this game was running so damn fine befor 25th patch (for me anyway!). =d
    Last edited by Bawha; March 28, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

i dont think the program is dumping memory properly...
    anyway it is crash city on my comp
    q9550 gtx 295. 3gb ram vista 32/ 8gb ram vista 64.

edit: ok i turned the sound off. and no crash... so far, after a battle.

anyone got any ideas how to fix sound ctd problem?

the bcdedit thing seems to be working so far...cross fingers re video memory error.
    Last edited by adamsleath; March 29, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
    Viva la France

Sirius 21's Avatar Tiro

I have read this topic and there's something I don't understand, yet. Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but I am not such a computer genius. Apologies.

I run Vista 64-bit, I have 6Gb RAM and a Radeon HD 4870 1Gb DDR5. I have experienced the "out of video memory" issue rarely. Will future patches make ETW take full advantage from my PC?
    If the answer is "yes", I'll wait for the patch and I won't mess my system up. I can live with it for some weeks
    Admin of Total War Games Italia
    Youtube channel
    TWGI clan
    Steam Profile
    My system - Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced - PSU: Corsair HX 1000W - Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe - CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz - RAM: 6Gb Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz - Hard disks:Western Digital Velociraptor 600Gb 10000 RPM and WD Caviar Green 2Tb 7200 RPM - GPUs: CrossfireX XFX HD6950 2Gb XXX Edition - Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - DVD RW: Pioneer DVR-219L and Samsung SH-S223F

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by MadBoris View Post

* Download the batch file I provided and extract it anywhere you like.
    Get it here - http://files.filefront.com/3GB+enabl.../fileinfo.html

Upload it elsewhere because Filefront is short to be closed down.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Upload it elsewhere because Filefront is short to be closed down.
    Yep, THX. I will miss filefront, will be downloading all my files tonight and will up it elsewhere.

Will this fix also make my insufficient memory crashes when clicking on a fleet disappear? When I click on several of my fleets, my game always crashes and I got a few large armies on them. Just some of the fleets crash mind you.

When it crashes, it always creates those tga files in my Empire folder called out of memory dump or somesuch.

Just have to turn off sound to exit the battle, after the battle screen is gone in the campaign map you can have sound back.. just another anoying thing to do in the game like re-selecting that i dont want flags in battles.... every fight...

Thank you, MadBoris, works fine to me!

It was easy to do and resolve my "insufficient memory & ctd" prob! Now the game run much better in battle- as in campaign map. Thx again!
    If you're dealing with the devil, it's not the devil who changes, but rather the devil change you - for sanity is like a spider, sitting in a net woven from the finest of strings, unaware of the hand coming closer, being grabbed and stuffed into a mouth.
    Check this: Turumba's Twitch and Youtube channel!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBoris View Post
    Yep, THX. I will miss filefront, will be downloading all my files tonight and will up it elsewhere.
    Much appreciated, filefront has never worked for me so I can't say i'll be sad to see it go.

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

In my case the game was bogging down my 'C' drv, when everything was installed on an additional 'E' Drv.

I just changed the Virtual Memory to use E instead of C and it works great. So if anyone is short on C drv space, change it to the drv with the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius 21 View Post
    Will future patches make ETW take full advantage from my PC?
    If the answer is "yes", I'll wait for the patch and I won't mess my system up. I can live with it for some weeks
    With a 64 bit OS the future patched executable, whenever it comes, will be all you need. So you can wait or you can patch it yourself.

Libertus

Just wanted to add my thanks to MadBoris for this. I was getting constant crashes (Vista 32)..I only remember seeing the "out of memory" error message once or twice, but I was getting all sorts of crashes every hour or so. i could play one battle in a campaign, by the time I tried to start a second battle in a game session, the fps would plummet, screen eventually freezing before an imminent crash. Sometimes I would not even get to a battle but would get incessant crashes on the campaign map.

After using the workaround... I just played a short campaign and am amazed that I was able to play it from start through to the end without a single crash! .. first time I've finished a game of ETW and performance/fps was fantastic on ultra and most importantly, rock solid the entire time.

I see you initially did this for Supreme Commander..I have that game in a cupboard somewhere..I had shelved it because I was getting constant crashes with that game too..now I know why...I may give it another go at some stage now that I know I can get it to work!

Cheers mate...brilliant effort.
    Last edited by sfchammer; March 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM.

So.....any word on if this will fix my problem?

Same here, applied your patch and the fps drop after the second or third battle is gone. Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWFan29 View Post
    So.....any word on if this will fix my problem?
    So did you want me to stop by the house and try it out for ya? hehe

I dunno until you try it. As you can see others were crashing with different symptoms.
    While it does seem strange that this issue would crash that way, what do you really have to lose?

There is only 4 sentences, and less than a minute, on what it takes to undo everything in case it doesn't work for you.

Hoping this awesome fix would solve my problem; the AI "End of Turn" crash is a known issue, but it is one that is driving me crazy. After crashing and trying to reload it (about 5 times) I loaded a save game (not autosave) and turned on "See CPU moves" after having this problem after 120 turns using Venice. While watching the AI cycle through the flags, I notice the pirates have perhaps 3 full stacks of ships jammed down near the north part of south america. I wonder if they are the culprit......

I have tried:

1. The memory fix (>2.5g boot.ini)
    2. Rollback to 182.06 driver (Nvidia)
    3. Windowed mode
    4. CFF Explorer fix
    5. Minimized graphics (I have a Falcon NW Mach 5 with 2 8800 GTX 768's and 3g of ram in Xp (yes I know 2.7 is max))
    6. Updated all my drivers
    7. Low prioritize empire.exe (rumored to fix it....I set it back to normal)
    8 a combination of all of the above.

It is my opinion that something is really wonka with the AI and code later in the game. They need to take some of the AI off of the pirates and native american factions IE, not to have them stack full armies and have them wander around aimlessly.

In frustration, I deleted my save games....I guess I will start again. On another note, check out this link to see all of the faction units (colors as well) this guy is good... http://totalwar.honga.net/empire_units.php
    Last edited by drummer2177; March 30, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Awesome fix...hoped it would work for my issue