Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-Riflemen

Default Long-Riflemen

Man, I can't get enough of these guys now that I've started using them. They have awesome range and accuracy, and are just pretty damn good all around, especially when they have a line of cavalry to run away to (infrantry aren't gonna catch these little dudes.) I've had opponents quit out of sheer frustration. Their only downside is numbers really, and the only way to beat them in a no arty game is to get them to run out of ammo. Anyone else find these guys/ultra ranged skirmishers awesome, and even somewhat too strong?

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Long-Riflemen

They are good units, but the problem is when people decide to use them as frontline infantry. Then they can suck.

An experienced player will bayonet charge skirmishers and as they run away, use cavalry to chase them down.

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

By the way, didn't I play a naval game with you yesterday? I think your teammates kept using broadside shot haha.

Oh yeah, I remember you. I kept telling them that broadsides are bad. At least, when half of the cannon balls have no chance of hitting.

Yeah, I like to play in the early period, so they only have plug bayonets, which are terrible so not many people use them except as a last resort. And I like having the cavalry a short distance behind them so that they can intercept enemy cav. My main line troops are quite a distance back so everyone has some room to retreat. Then send my skirmishers up to harass again. Rinse and repeat.

People rely on them too much. You need a skirmish screen, at least 1 per 2 line units...1 aim for a 1 to 1 ratio between line and skirmishes, which includes sniper troops.

They rock, they do a lot of killing. But they require heavy micro and are easily lost to cavalry if used on a flank (gotta bait them to deploy stakes) and if in front of your line they do get the early volleys in but will be pushed back.

And woe to the fool who lines up his snipers BEHIND his line units. Even on hills, they shoot their buddies in the back a LOT.

They can be frustrating when used en masse...I often see nowadays 6 sniper units! Long rifles, jaergers, green jackets, etc. And they are cheap as hell really but they wont break line units by themselves.

Awesome unit, but dont overuse them.

I like to have 3 long rifles in my america build. You can do some pretty sneaky stuff, but my problem is that I always go for the big haul and lose them carelessly. I've stopped using that build because I am tempted to easy to hunt down a wandering general unit or so. As Barrett pointed out to me, just keep your ear to the ground and you can hear them skulking about. Not too hard to find them if you do a quick survey every once in a while.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

i only have 2 skirmishers no matter what my build. trust me its better! I havent lost a battle yet. i used them to soak up fire and as a deterent to enemy cavalry. my art of war is don't rely on ANY unit to do the killing. set up your army to make it very versatile. every unit type is useful in its own way. and set up your men accordingly. i sometimes have 3 or 4 skirmishers but 2 works great
    Last edited by Alkarin; March 16, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
    You look great today.

i only have 2 skirmishers no matter what my build.
    i sometimes have 3 or 4 skirmishers but 2 works great

I really hate these skirmishers. I play Marathas and i rarely take cav so they just kite me forever and seriously piss me off.

Then learn from it lol... the best thing about american rifles is u decide where the first casualties are going to be ninja!

But a good player will counter them easy... kite them back with line and follow with cav as already mentioned above ^

It is kinda like an unfair advantage that USA is the only faction that gets a 125 range unit, but it's kinda like India with Elephants, or Austria with MORE infantry inside of a line men squad

(160 normal, 200 with Austria)

Every thing has there ups and down... Let's just say that the militia of the US sucks... >_>

Everything cant be the same, then what would be the point lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer Merlox View Post
    It is kinda like an unfair advantage that USA is the only faction that gets a 125 range unit
    Many factions do...and if you meant stealth walking units, then Austria has that too though slightly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer Merlox View Post
    It is kinda like an unfair advantage that USA is the only faction that gets a 125 range unit, but it's kinda like India with Elephants, or Austria with MORE infantry inside of a line men squad

(160 normal, 200 with Austria)

Every thing has there ups and down... Let's just say that the militia of the US sucks... >_>
    Amen. I just played a couple of MP battles for the first time and all I ever saw were Austrian line infantry spam armies. Not to mention they also somehow had the ability to fire completely across the entire map.

I thought *maybe* this time around the MP games would be different. But I see there's still nothing but hackers and old elephant spam army users trying to relive their glory days once again. Pretty pathetic and also the reason why I think TW multiplayer is, was and always will be utter crap.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Or you can host your own games and make your own rules, I usually join no mortars and rockets games, they makes the game more interesting.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by YellowMelon View Post
    might of phrased wrong. i always have 2, but sometimes 3 or 4..but thats only in large funds games
    You look great today.

I often use a fair few Green Jacket units... I use them to take out pockets of Artillery, or foolish generals, or draw line troops out of position, or ambush cavalry... And long rifles are just as good if not better the few times i've played the Yanks... Just not as good at standing once actually caught by pursuers.

But lately i've been thinking i need to cut down: My line, if properly engaged, is too thin on men. Had too many close calls lately. Rebuilding time.

Really? I always found that Long Rifle Men were the only Long range infantry in the Early Era that hit for 125.

I know other infantry hits for 70, or 80 tops. but the US has a clear advantage when it's in range..

Long riflemen are ok, but it's easy to counter them. Just close range with regular line infantry and go to town. They also don't hold up in melee that well. Line infantry do wonders when you throw a couple volleys down range at the enemy, then use the plug bayonets and charge.

Austrian jaegers have 125 range too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast