View Poll Results: if you led a nation what title would you take?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • King

15 11.63%
  • Imperator

31 24.03%
  • Emperor

50 38.76%
  • Tzar

10 7.75%
  • Duke

2 1.55%
  • Earl

0 0%
  • Vicount

2 1.55%
  • Count

5 3.88%
  • Lord

10 7.75%
  • Baron

4 3.10%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: if you led a nation what title would you take?

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

if you led a country what title would you take as leader me i'd go with Imperator
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Vozhd (pronounced with a soft d)
    Our of the ones you put up I'm saying Imperator.

Mordhak's Avatar Civitate

Duke, Earl, Viscount, Count, Lord and Baron are not titles for men who lead a nation. And Imperator, Tzar and Emperor are basically the same. Which reduces the option to king or emperor.

Emperor for me :happy

Isnt Imperator the Latin word for a general or ruler?

I'd name myself "Kaiser" which is the German Word for Emperor, Kaiser comes from Latin "Caesar" and Emperor comes from latin "Imperator", seems like these Four words are heavily mixed up :-)

Lord would also be very fine, but how about "God and rightful Leader of all People of the World", seems to basically what the Egyptiabn Pharaos claimed to be :blink

Edit: I think Tzar and some other Words are also related to Caesar :rolleyes

Originally posted by Marcus Bonus@Apr 26 2005, 09:55 AM
    Its the title for the commander of the Roman army. Granted to the emperour along with, Caesar, Augustus, Pontific Maximus, and countless others.

Originally posted by Marcus Bonus@Apr 26 2005, 09:55 AM
    Yes, it's the equivalent for 'victorious general'.

Imho "Imperium" or "Empire" is simply an Area that is ruled somebody, so an Emperor or Imperator is simply somebody who rules an Area, whatever that may mean exactly.

"Supreme priest and unfaultless ruler" doesn't seem so bad to me either, maybe calling yourself a god is a bit to much, but it did work in Egypt. So actually why not. Squeese it in between all the other titles.

In full it would be:

"Unusual sidekick to the immortal gods, interpretor of cats, high viceroy of the setting sun, nemesis of the vole, the high badger- Iain"

well, my full title woulds be nothing grand of course...
    his most excellent Imperial Majesty, the Great and Grand Right Honourable Lord Aden the Black, the Black Prince. Prince of princes and exalted majesty of the empire, leader of the council of principalties supreme warlord and lord commander of the armies and swordsmaster of the noble art of fencing

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Where are Strategos Autocrator, hegemon, polemarch, hesiarch, tyrant, exarch, pontifex, Lord Protector, Stadhouder, Consul, CEO, First Secretary, president, etc etc etc ... ? :p

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Originally posted by the Black Prince@Apr 26 2005, 09:45 AM
    well, my full title woulds be nothing grand of course...
    his most excellent Imperial Majesty, the Great and Grand Right Honourable Lord Aden the Black, the Black Prince. Prince of princes and exalted majesty of the empire, leader of the council of principalties supreme warlord and lord commander of the armies and swordsmaster of the noble art of fencing
    you forgot "who tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet." :p

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

If I would rule a country I'd call myself Hefe

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

On second thought Glava(head) or Voevode (old Russian for either war leader or troop leader I'm not sure) would be great.

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Of your choices, I would choose Tzar.

However, if I could choose my own, I'd go with Schäferhund.

God.
    But since it's not featured in the poll, I went for Imperator.

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

emperor Diarmait na cliomhdubh i like the sound of that :cool

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by Rusty Catapult@Apr 26 2005, 10:01 AM
    Yes, it's the equivalent for 'victorious general'.
    Thats correct: you have to command an army to victory before you can be called imperator.
    I would choose this title if I became the leader by commanding the army.

If I became leader through peacefull means I would settle for president (until I defeated a strong enemy at least). :grin

Princeps for me... The 'first amongst equals.' This was the official title of the Roman Emperors until the time of Diocletian. It was chosen by Augustus after he saw what happened when Julius Caesar accepted the title of 'Dictator pro vitae' (Ides of March anyone??) Princeps indicated authority but had none of the regal associations of 'Rex' (king - a despised term in Rome ever since the expulsion of the Etruscan monarchs), nor the military connotations (think Marius and Sulla here) of 'Imperator.'

I should note that when personally leading the legions on campaign the emperor might be hailed as 'Imperator' by his troops, but this title was dropped upon returning to Rome and civilian life.

Diocletian called himself 'Dominus' (master/lord) ans 'Augustus' (now a title rather than a name). This change was made in conjunction with a masssive restructuring of the administration of the Empire and the instiution of his ill-fated Tetrarchy government.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast