Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrun By Indians!

Default Overrun By Indians!

Ok, so my friend has come up with this strat that I am having extreme difficulty countering.

What he does is we play in the early period, he gets 4 units of landless rabble, 2 units of spear calvalry and then nothing but swordsmen. When it is all said and done he outnumbers my little group of about 1200 british consisting pretty evenly of artillery, grenadiers, skirmishers calv, and line infantry, with his army of almost 3500 units.

He marches the rabble out in wide lines and the swordsmen in columns, when he reaches my line he sends the rabble in first who soak up all my fire and while my men reload they are hit by waves and waves of angry swordsmen. Since he has by that point every single one of my units tied up in melee he has enough left over to overload my flank and devour it, after one unit on the flank falls it is over as the indian wave washes over the rest of my line and breaks everything on my line after that.

After my balanced force didn't work I tried several things, mortar spam which didn't work b/c there are just too many. Calv spam which still lost b/c of his insane numbers, and all line in which I was still vastly outnumbered. I'm not totally sure what to do, at the beginning of the match I try to kill off his rabble with my skirmishers but there are so many of them that I can't get enough of them to make a diff, and his calvalry will drive off my skirmishers pretty fast.

So anyone have any strats that might help me defeat the indian zerg menace?

Default Re: Overrun By Indians!

Kekeke India RUSH?!?!?!?!

Sounds like fun. I haven't done MP personally. Can I reccomend a Puckle Gun or perhaps a couple of batteries of artillery in the front, loaded with canister to blast a few holes in the rabble before they arrive?

Meh. I don't know. I haven't played ETW as much as I wanted, due to the bugs.

mostly line with some light infantry might work. the weakness of rabble (and most low-grade melee units) is that they have fairly poor morale. Try to find a defensible position that has limited openings, and use deep formations in those openings. Once a route starts with charging rabble/low grade troops...it can easily turn into a chain-route.

I've never been encountering such waves but I'd add some advices of what I would do If I'd face this. I don't really know if artillery would be worth it, preferably take some cavalry like 3 or 4 units , some light infantry and lots of line infantry. With those line infantry guys make long and thin formation so that a lot of them will be able to fire, Do that like on three rank. Disable fire at will, fire when they get close, after you opened fired but those infantry formations behind the last one, do the same thing with the second. And with the third open Fire and wait for them on hand to hand combat. That way you can have time to resettle your line infantry and shot a them. I hope with this you did enough of damage. With your cavalry harass them to make him lose time, envetually kill his cavalry and attack swordsmen on the rear. With your light infantry you know what to do. advance to them at the beginning,, open fire, then fall back and try to get other nice spots to shoot from. I hope I gave you some nice ideas to defeat your friend

I usually respond to mele rush putting one weak unit in front of every line infantry (thin line to maximize the firepower), so when the mele units charge, the weak unit in front of the line infantry need to hold them and line infantry will have time for shooting, usually they dont resist too much and start weavering after 2-3 salves so the weak units dont need to resist too much

ps. and of course protect the line infantry with some calvary units

Praepositus

nice to see people using similar strategies
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237917

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

There are a few things I would recommend.

First and foremost. Line infantry. Lots of them. Second, only bother with one artillery piece. Go with a heavy 18 or 24 pounder artillery.

Stagger your infantry. Don't put them all in the front.

So E is the enemy, I is your infantry. C is your cavalry, A is your artillery The enemy's position can vary, it doesn't matter too much.

....E.............. E ...........E
    ....EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

CC IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII CC

......IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Make sure your frontline troops are in 2 lines for maximum firepower. What you do is hold fire (turn off fire at will) wait until they are halfway within your range, fire, attach bayonet and counter charge (counter charge is very important).

During the melee, you want to charge your cavalry at their rabble's flanks and then withdraw them quickly. Use grenadiers to toss grenades over and have some good reserve troops waiting. If you can take a hilltop position, even better.

While their army marches towards you, use your cannon to fire at the ground infront of those giant columns. The cannonball will bounce and roll right down their entire line. I've killed over 300 troops in column formation this way in a single shot. When the enemy gets close, switch to canister shot, fire a few rounds, withdraw your cannon to your reserve infantry and hold fire, or manually target their general. if he's not in melee.

Also, you may want to use skirmishers in any nearby woods, to slow down the enemy advance. Deploy stakes, hide in the forest, as they walk by, shoot them. If they cavalry charge, so much the better.

Also, if you want more bodies on the field, take Austria. I believe they get 150 instead of 120 line infantry. They aren't as good, but its a lot more people.

Ryttare's Avatar Foederatus

Sounds to me like you're always on the defensive, might be an idea to attack? =D

If not...

CC ---------- L(b) L(b) L L A L L A L L(b) L(b)----------- CC

--------------------------L(b) L(b)----------------------

------------------------------G

Firepower in the middle, canister with art, when they are about to charge you, charge them on the sides and bring the reserve around to strengthen your flank. Win the cavalry fight. Make sure the bayonettes on the flank troops are fixed before he gets close.

I have been using a simmilar tactic in the early period after being inspired by the way the Native american Melee units tore my troops apart in singleplayer. I have not lost with it yet (although came close once when I tried running my entire army up a hill into 3 cannons using cannister, however, even here once I closed to melee range there was really no contest).

I think part of the advantage (aside from having 1.5-2x as many men) is that early linesmen only have plug bayonettes meaning that unless your opponent manages to equip them before you hit his lines they get slaughtered (and even if they do manage to equip them the swordsmen are still superior).

Not sure how to beat it, but I am pretty sure that the answer isnt to spam linesmen. This is because with a linesmen heavy force you will just be outnumbered with no way to kill enough troops before they hit you in melee (where early linesmen are particularly weak). I suspect the answer may lie in taking an army based around a balanced combination of linesmen and pikemen (which noone seems to use) with a cannon or two, and a couple of cavalry. The plan here being to snarl the melee zerg with your pikemen allowing you to start focus firing on one of the wings with your cannon and linesmen, using the cavelry to try and cause a mass rout on one side. That said this would still be no easy feat given that you are likely to be significantly outnumbered and the fact that the indian troops have good morale.

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Well mate,

Beside of the campaign „way to independence“ I had only 2 times an MP enemy with Indians. 1 game sucks before start and in the other one they were also unbelievable strong.
    In my term I remember that they were in one campaign battle with their masses a problem. So I made an original Russian tactic against the masses of Ottoman Infantry with my French. Here it was early period and that made it easier at least.

I build a strong square box with 2 units wide and 2 units deep each side. In the front corners I put left and right each one unit 6lbs, at least firing cluster ammo. In the Centre I put 2 unit’s howitzers so at least there was a square box of:

16 x line infantry of different shape
    2 x light artillery
    2 x howitzers

The fight was very hard and the enemy encircled me also. At Least I got the same trouble as written in 1. Post, because I couldn’t shoot enough in term of the masses. Finally, when eh got closer with his “Indian wave” I pressed the bayonet button for the front line troops and this made at least the decision that I won the battle.
    But I have also to remark, that after the big attack of my box I had a long fight against units, that were at first fleeing and later came back. This cost only playing time, because they were spread along the complete map, but was not really a problem. 1 or 2 volleys of a line infantry unit or a sharp bayonet attack on them and they flee really.

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

Dont listen to the other guys, their recommendations wont work.

Wht you must do is to take lot of melee Elephants. They will crush his infantry with easy. And as he has no muskets or artillery he wont me able to take them out. His infantry will be stomped and thrown to pieces

Happy stomping
    Norpheus

Praepositus

u know and the indians have muskets and art

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    u know and the indians have muskets and art
    Yes, but as the OP really said the guys tactic is to have noone of thoose

phail

Lol Morpheus,

why not modding some compatible real "300" spartans and then its much easier and only a genocide in this battle ...

Only a joke mate ...

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):

Quote Originally Posted by Mandelus View Post
    Lol Morpheus,

why not modding some compatible real "300" spartans and then its much easier and only a genocide in this battle ...

Only a joke mate ...
    Becuase Elephants owns spartans and other barbarians

Norheus wrote:

Becuase Elephants owns spartans and other barbarians

Never ever greeks / spartans mate, never! I play since nearly 5 years RTW online from 1.2 version onwards and beside my first "beginner battles" I never lost any serious battle with spartans against elephants, no matter how many elephants there were.
    Also I'm not talking about spartan spam battles here. I personally hate 12,5 / 15k battles because at least overimportant archers (other theme, here really off topic), so I mostly play the second most played moneys 20k up to 30/31k with diefferent rules as given. But also here no spam, because I never tale more than 8 spartans in my greek army

Back to the topic:
    The problem against these redskins is, that they are masses with weak morale. So use this in shocking them really in a battle or let them run against a wall

I was actually talking realisty

And no your not on topic, were talking indians not redskins
    (Hopefully you get what I mean )
    And that comment wont help him very much im afraid.

As said, agains thuge melee masses elephants is the way to go.

Well,

thats really confusing for me as german ... so is here the theme

Indians from India or indians from (north) america?

Sorry about it, because in german is difference in it as I thougt and learned that Indians from india are called hindu or hindian in english also my longe year friend from India tells of hindu

Quote Originally Posted by Mandelus View Post
    Well,

thats really confusing for me as german ... so is here the theme

Indians from India or indians from (north) america?

Sorry about it, because in german is difference in it as I thougt and learned that Indians from india are called hindu or hindian in english also my longe year friend from India tells of hindu
    It might be a hint that the american Indians are not playable in neither singplayer or multiplayer

It might be a hint that the american Indians are not playable in neither singplayer or multiplayer

Sorry mate, they are! I got 2 battles agaisnt them as I wrote!

But don't ask me how they have done it, I don't know and I don't really interest in this "how"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast