Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Drum and Fife Mod by Hollowfaith aka Caligula

hollowfaith's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Drum and Fife Mod by Hollowfaith aka Caligula

@Groove74 - No problem. Just want to make sure your putting it into your DATA folder. Located in your Steam folder.

If you have Windows XP it should be like this ... wherever your steam is...Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data <- The pack needs to go here!

If you have Vista, sorry I can't help you there. I don't have vista and do not know where steam would be for you.

If you already know this, then my apologies!
    Rome II Total Realism (TW:R2) - Music composer.
    Rome Total Realism Project (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.
    Rome Total Realism: VII (R:TW) - Music composer and noise legionnaire.

Authentic Ancient World: (TW:R2) - Music composer

Groove74's Avatar Miles

yeah I have vista, and all my sound files generally go in the same place.

I have been trying many times making sure the army I was marching had a drummer and moving them 1 at a time. all I ever hear is the drum roll. I also followed your tips you mentioned in your last posting. Still now working.
    Monitor 23 in Widescreen HD Gateway 1680X1050
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    CPU AMD Phenom quad core 920 2.8 Ghz
    Graphics Radeon HD 5770 HD 1Gig..Ram HD
    Ram 4gig DDR2 1066 OCZ Fatality
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

@Groove74 - Hhhmmmm, I tested it in my game before uploading and it worked. Let me double check my uploaded file and see if it still works in my game. I'm hoping its not the latest patch affecting things. I just read a bunch of people saying the new fix did nothing for them but make the game sounds act even more touchy. BRB!

Well I just tested it and it worked without a hitch. Wonder why its not working for you? Are all your sound volumes up in your options? I'll help you get this working yet!!!

So I went to an old music store a few miles from my house. The guy trades in all kinds of old sheet music, and what not. So I'm digging through the bins he has stacked against a back wall. I had gone through four or five of them. I asked the old guy behind the counter if he had some old marching songs in sheet music. He says" Sure should be in the bottom crate in the corner over there." So I remove the 5 crates stacked on top and start digging. Most of it was Sousa but then I found this march called the Battle of Narva, I almost fell over it mentions Sweden! So I asked the guy if he can hold it for me and rushed home to look it up and this is what I have found!

"On November 30, 1700 (November 20 in the Swedish transitional calendar), Charles XII positioned his 8,140 men opposite the besieging Russian army of about 37,000 troops. The Swedish army was commanded personally by Charles XII, assisted by General Carl Gustav Rehnskiöld. The Russian forces were commanded by Tsar Peter and Charles Eugène de Croy. Claiming important "domestic events" in Russia to attend to, Peter had left Narva in fear just days before and was therefore not present during the actual fighting.
    For much of the day, a blizzard engulfed both armies, making attacks impossible. However, at midday, the winds changed and the snowstorm blew directly into the eyes of the Russians. Charles XII saw his opportunity and advanced on the Russian army under cover of the weather. The Swedes quickly broke through the Russian lines in several places, scattering their opponents, who could offer little resistance. In the chaos, some of the Russian soldiers killed their foreign officers, whom they hated. At one crucial point, a bridge over river Narva collapsed under retreating Russian troops. The bulk of the Russian army was trapped on the Estonian side of the river.
    At dawn, it was clear that the Swedish army had won a stunning victory, but the force was relatively small and they had advanced on Narva in marches with scarce supplies for two days. One Swedish cavalry officer suddenly found himself in front of a fully armed Russian infantry company. He signed to them to lay down their arms, and they obliged. The Swedish troops discovered not only food in the Russian camp, but also liquor. Drunkenness broke out in the Swedish ranks. Nevertheless, the Swedish command managed to retain basic control of the army, however the overall number of Russian prisoners of the war were far to great to handle for the Swedish force. Consequently, common soldiers and NCO's were disarmed and sent back to Russia. Only Russian officers were made prisoners of war. In the end the Russian army was utterly defeated and the Swedes retained Narva.
    The Russian surrender brought to Charles XII's army all of Peter's cannons, muskets and military supplies. This left Russia's remaining armed forces with essentially no equipment. If Sweden, or any other aggressor, had invaded Russia immediately after Narva, Peter would have been almost powerless to stop them."
    So I went back to the store to buy it for a dollar!! Now my question is, would this be ok for a Sweden's field march? If not I only spent a buck, and it will add to my research. Let me know what you guys (and Gals) think!

IceAgeComing's Avatar Foederatus

i think it would be great, looks like it has a good story behind it but maybe a swede can confirm that if he's knowledgeable about the song

Groove74's Avatar Miles

to anser your question yes I have all volumes set to full while I tested your file. JUst ran like 10 battles and could never hear your work?
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

@Groove - Very strange indeed. Your not using any other music mods by any chance? Its strange its not working for you. Do any of my other mod packs work for you?

Groove74's Avatar Miles

I downloaded the britt one for the read me I can try it.

the only other mods I have are the 4 turn mod and the blood and smoke 3.0

I will go test the Brittish one right now brb
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

Groove74's Avatar Miles

well I tested the brittish sound file. and it worked like charm. Now I have the sudden need to get me some Tea. . J/k

But yeah the brit one works fine but still no US song
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

Ok, your the first and only report of it not working for now! So I'm going to give up to a fluke with the file as it stands. I'll wait till tomorrow and see if anyone else reports any problems! Thanks for being so patient with me, and enjoy the game!

Groove74's Avatar Miles

Sure NP man I will keep working with it, if it ever works I will be sure to tell ya'

I fixed it it is working now. thanks. I found the problem was sitting at the Keyboard lol I did install it to the right Directory butI had installed the Brittish one and forgot to install the USA mod

If I install all the sound files will they work for the respective factions or sould I only install the one for the Player faction?
    Last edited by Groove74; April 01, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

IceAgeComing's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Groove74 View Post
    Sure NP man I will keep working with it, if it ever works I will be sure to tell ya'

I fixed it it is working now. thanks. I found the problem was sitting at the Keyboard lol I did install it to the right Directory butI had installed the Brittish one and forgot to install the USA mod

If I install all the sound files will they work for the respective factions or sould I only install the one for the Player faction?
    they are not faction specific, so whatever march you put in the directory, regardless of the faction, it will be played. like you put biriths one in data folder and play maratha, they will play the british march... as far as i know

Groove74's Avatar Miles

Kinda what I thought. thanks. never hurts to ask however. Well at least my US faction sounds good now
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Can you use both the German ones at the same time? For example the British play two different tunes don't they at random? Same with them French ones. Thanks.

OK this is strange, I added all of the mods on the front page, but just one of each faction. I edited the user.empire file to include them and went ingame. I tested with Prussian V French line... they are both playing the ottoman tune! What have I done wrong?
    Last edited by Vanquisher; April 01, 2009 at 02:37 AM.

@Vanquisher - You can only use one mod patch at a time as they all modify the same 4 files. In the games current state the music is not faction specific and it will play for all factions. Also it will only play UP to 4 of the march files in one of my packs at any one time. The sounds also seem to be hit or miss with the latest patches released by CA. So like I advised above, before play remove the unwanted music pack out of the data folder and move the pack you want into your data folder. I keep a folder outside of empire just for this purpose.

Also there is no need to add the files name to your user script as they are in patch format which is slightly more advantageous at the present time than making them in the mod format.

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry, I didn't read the front page properly, and thanks.

Keep up the good work there, Hollowfaith!

Man, it was a real pain in the *** to find any music Sweden was using during that time period, and I'm a Swede, so I can imagine how hard it must have been for you.

The one I found (Narvamarschen) is probably the same as you mentioned earlier (Battle of Narva) and I belive that one will most certainly work as Swedish march music. Also I found one a few webpages that music piece called "Carl XII:s fältmarsch" (Charles XII:s field march, or something similar in english).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuqz4E9ZP8

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowfaith View Post
    So I went to an old music store a few miles from my house. The guy trades in all kinds of old sheet music, and what not. So I'm digging through the bins he has stacked against a back wall. I had gone through four or five of them. I asked the old guy behind the counter if he had some old marching songs in sheet music. He says" Sure should be in the bottom crate in the corner over there." So I remove the 5 crates stacked on top and start digging. Most of it was Sousa but then I found this march called the Battle of Narva, I almost fell over it mentions Sweden! So I asked the guy if he can hold it for me and rushed home to look it up and this is what I have found!

"On November 30, 1700 (November 20 in the Swedish transitional calendar), Charles XII positioned his 8,140 men opposite the besieging Russian army of about 37,000 troops. The Swedish army was commanded personally by Charles XII, assisted by General Carl Gustav Rehnskiöld. The Russian forces were commanded by Tsar Peter and Charles Eugène de Croy. Claiming important "domestic events" in Russia to attend to, Peter had left Narva in fear just days before and was therefore not present during the actual fighting.
    For much of the day, a blizzard engulfed both armies, making attacks impossible. However, at midday, the winds changed and the snowstorm blew directly into the eyes of the Russians. Charles XII saw his opportunity and advanced on the Russian army under cover of the weather. The Swedes quickly broke through the Russian lines in several places, scattering their opponents, who could offer little resistance. In the chaos, some of the Russian soldiers killed their foreign officers, whom they hated. At one crucial point, a bridge over river Narva collapsed under retreating Russian troops. The bulk of the Russian army was trapped on the Estonian side of the river.
    At dawn, it was clear that the Swedish army had won a stunning victory, but the force was relatively small and they had advanced on Narva in marches with scarce supplies for two days. One Swedish cavalry officer suddenly found himself in front of a fully armed Russian infantry company. He signed to them to lay down their arms, and they obliged. The Swedish troops discovered not only food in the Russian camp, but also liquor. Drunkenness broke out in the Swedish ranks. Nevertheless, the Swedish command managed to retain basic control of the army, however the overall number of Russian prisoners of the war were far to great to handle for the Swedish force. Consequently, common soldiers and NCO's were disarmed and sent back to Russia. Only Russian officers were made prisoners of war. In the end the Russian army was utterly defeated and the Swedes retained Narva.
    The Russian surrender brought to Charles XII's army all of Peter's cannons, muskets and military supplies. This left Russia's remaining armed forces with essentially no equipment. If Sweden, or any other aggressor, had invaded Russia immediately after Narva, Peter would have been almost powerless to stop them."
    So I went back to the store to buy it for a dollar!! Now my question is, would this be ok for a Sweden's field march? If not I only spent a buck, and it will add to my research. Let me know what you guys (and Gals) think!

Hello everyone!

I read the comment about Narvamarschen by Hollowfaith and I just had to register and comment back.

My swedish forces have been marching to Narvamarschen for some time now.
    I'm not using a recording of me playing it, but a recording I made from youtube.
    I think it's the only swedish battle march that have been preserved from that era.
    Some say it was performed for the first time in 1701 during a play called Narvabaletten.
    Here is a good examle of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuqz4E9ZP8

Edit:
    Oh, Lasken beat me to it.
    If I just would've had written a little sooner and a little faster..
    Last edited by Peacerich; April 02, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Haha, sorry 'bout that I also registred now to take part in this