Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ETW: The Duel - One Day Event March 28th

Default ETW: The Duel - One Day Event March 28th

Introduction:

This tournament will be the first of many one-day events that celebrate the spirit of competition and comradery in the ETW MP community. This event will take place on Saturday March 28th at 1:00 pm Eastern time for North America, and 12:00 pm GMT for Europe.

Format:

Each round of this tournament will consist of a single-game, where the winner advances to the next round, and the loser is eliminated. Each round will commence as soon as the players become available. Thus, there will be 6 rounds in the tournament, and should not take more than 6 hours to complete (providing people play in a reasonable time). The player who wins first will have the option of choosing which side they want to play on (Alliance 1 or 2) on the next map. Matches will be played unranked so that when a player quits the game a screenshot/battle replay can still be saved as proof of victory.

To register for this event you will be required to join the “ETW: The Duel” steam group for your respected location as there will be two tournaments running simultaneously: North America and Europe. The first 64 people to join the group will be accepted in the tournament. Providing there is great demand, the tournament may open up to more players.

You can find these steam groups at:

North America - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ETWDNA
    Europe - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ETWDEU

The Day of the Tournament:

The fixtures for round one will go up 30 minutes prior to the tournament starting. Players must arrive to the steam group chat 10-15 minutes before the start of the tournament so the administrators can take attendance and find substitutes if necessary. There will be a 10 minute window after the start time

In Game Rules:

• No unlocked factions, ie. Afghanistan, Persia, etc.
    • No fixed artillery: mortars, rockets, great gun.
    • Late Era
    • Medium Funds
    • Medium Size
    • 60 Minute maximum - In the event of play reaching 60 minutes, the replay will be reviewed by YellowMelon and he will appoint a winner based on who had the upper hand, though I will also consider the variable of who was responsible for the game exceeding (camping, running away, hiding, etc.). All decisions are final.

Rounds and Maps:

Round One – Alpine Pass
    Round Two – Cuba
    Round Three – Flanders
    Round Four – Afghan Mountain
    Round Five – Cuba
    Round Six – Alpine Pass
    Last edited by YellowMelon; March 26, 2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: rules amended

Default Re: ETW: The Duel - One Day Event March 28th

Nice, I'll join

There's no such thing as destiny. There are only different choices. Some choices are easy, some aren't. Those are the really important ones, the ones that define us as people.

Killer its 2 different time for US and EU READ.
    Ill join

So in total your already cutting off any item which will punish noobs for not positioning proper.
    This tournament is already a joke seeing you want everyone to have a chance just mass infantry can even make a chance while they would be punished like hell with fixed guns.

I won't compete in a tournament which already starts putting limits too the troops used because they can't find counter tactics.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Zyphlan is a legend, you don't need to be popular to be legendary .

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

That is your opinion.

Tertius's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlan View Post
    So in total your already cutting off any item which will punish noobs for not positioning proper.
    This tournament is already a joke seeing you want everyone to have a chance just mass infantry can even make a chance while they would be punished like hell with fixed guns.

I won't compete in a tournament which already starts putting limits too the troops used because they can't find counter tactics.
    You're just sad because you cant use mortar spam. Maybe just use another tactic?

Also, he's the host of the tournament, he can choose whatever he wants for rules...

Fellh watch the movie i made and you see clearly why i think it should be allowed.
    seeing people who can't prepare there troops beforehand do not deserver a win.
    any noob can rush in but when a mortar is pounding you need to spread your units.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlan View Post
    Fellh watch the movie i made and you see clearly why i think it should be allowed.
    seeing people who can't prepare there troops beforehand do not deserver a win.
    any noob can rush in but when a mortar is pounding you need to spread your units.
    If you are as good as you say you are, you should have no problem winning this tournament with the exclusion of one unit.

Zy, you don't like the rules, make your own Tournament.

I'll be here with bells on. Good maps.

Sounded nice until I started reading the restrictions. Why make any restrictions at all? It kinda takes away from it IMO.

The rationale behind no fixed art is because you may have two teams who deploy fixed art and sit there, perhaps even out of range of one another. It then becomes a staring contest. I don't want to debate the validity of mortars here, I made the rules as most of the community wants them, and I believe the majority dislikes mortars.

He is the host, don't complain about it, discuss it.
    I don't understand why you want to ban fixed art, because rockets and the great cannons are well balanced, and the small fixed cannons are useless if anything. Banning mortars is obvious, zyphlan because anyone who wants to win takes mortars as artillery because they are better than others in a no rule game.

Edit: Now I understand why no fixed art.

Still alpha if everyone used them wouldn´t the player who was the best win?
    Only a handfull people have good counter tactics against mortars that's why they are removed.
    If mortars were to have 90% accuracy or even 50% and slay a whole army at once if spread smart i would say these are overpowered.

But they have a weak point that they are locked down on the ground and have long reloading times.
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Seriously Zyphlan everybody see what your point is here, and 95% of forumers here disagree, so please stop trolling.

Tournament seems nice! I join

I have trouble joining the steam groups, I can't do it via URL and when I search it on steam I do not find it... Could somebody guide me??
    Last edited by Metalhead1986; March 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM.

The counter tactics against mortars are the same as those for other artillery, just that mortars are better and cheaper than other art, so they are unbalanced.
    And honestly, wouldn't the game be more fun if there was tactical thinking and choosing which artillery is the best for your tactic, not which one is the best one in the game, like mortars.

I won't signup just found it a shame that he didnt let mortars in.

As shown in my clip mortars also require a certain skill too use them not a hard skill but it does require some and if you just have a usual tactic and buy mortars with it it's bound to fail

Last post here.
    Il check if i can train with my friends later then i might signup
    ~PrimeChaosVC

If you have trouble joining the group through web browsers, you can:

A) Copy the link into the Steam Browser
    B) Search for YellowMelon's profile then look at my groups

Icon5 Re: ETW: The Duel - One Day Event March 28th

I like the idea OP!

So if I understand correctly, howitsers and cannons are allowed?

Correct.

Joined up. Thanks for organizing this.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast