Thread: Advice

Default Advice

Okay lads picture this. i want to keep my family tree going with the spartan trait. whats the best way to keep them going? less family members?
    lots of battles+retinue?
    any tips?

I am getting a lot of flacid members of my tree too. guess leonidas was right

Default Re: Advise

do you want to keep the spartan row going on or the members of the spartan row to get the Spartan trait? it is not very clear...

Default Re: Advice

Yeah sorry about not being clear was tired when i typed that up, i meant to keep the trait going but always fall short of flacid heh

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

If your general takes part of combat a lot, he should keep the Spartan trait. If you let him sit comfortably behind the lines or behind the safety of the walls, you will gradually loose trait powers (Well, that applies to some. Depends on how much Suppanut cared to work on all those traits.)

Also if you have less members of family that are not from the spartan family will there be a more productive spartan family tree?

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    If you let him sit comfortably behind the lines or behind the safety of the walls
    No Spartan stands behind walls! lol

SPARTANS! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?

OOH.

thats what they say in the movie. hahahahaha

i really love spartans but theyre so weak in this game. and the fact that your general cant go into shield wall is annoying

If you think spartans are weak, you may not be using them right. Use them to flank/charge a tired out unit, in order to break them, or use them to bring down enemy generals... They're highly unlikely to run or to loose a battle regardless what unit they're fighting. Compare these men with other elite infantry (which often has less numbers), and you see they can stand their ground. Fighting on walls or in some cramped situation, they're even more effective. Their lack of shield wall makes them sligthly less effective compared to a normal spartan unit, but then the srg-general hardly cost any upkeep, they don't need retraining and after all you got this unit for free. Why do you think they're weak?
    Last edited by Andy1984; March 16, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

A single unit of them can change the tide of a battle..no lies - that's in every mod ive played.

I tried not to make the Spartan Royal Bodyguard unit too strong, since the unit automatically recovers its losses and continues to gain experience as long as the general is alive, ending up with a very deadly unit.

indeed...a Spartan Guard with 3 gold chevrons?? mmm...and maybe the faction leader, which means LOT of Spartans? It would win a battle alone!!

Tbh, i had 4 generals and one SRG and conquered half of greece with them. After each battle they gained traits and chevrons ... so yes, they are very, very deaful. And the commanders son was a real general just from the start.
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

Can the Achaean League get SRG or just the IGCS? They sound pretty amazing as the general body guard (only ever played with them on XGM) and in XGM they turned the tide of many a battles uses them to flank. Also currently looking forward to playing as the Achaean League so added bonus .

Infantry generals would be an option.. But the SRG will only belong to the Spartan family members.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

I thought all you need to do is keep a 16 year old "Agoge Trained" Spartan in Sparta past their 18th birthday. After that they get the "Spartan" trait and they keep it their entire life.

Whenever a young Spartan comes of age I send them to Sparta for a couple years...
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    I thought all you need to do is keep a 16 year old "Agoge Trained" Spartan in Sparta past their 18th birthday. After that they get the "Spartan" trait and they keep it their entire life.

Whenever a young Spartan comes of age I send them to Sparta for a couple years...
    I dont think you even need to do that as the the trait activates after he reaches a certain age

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1984 View Post
    If you think spartans are weak, you may not be using them right. Use them to flank/charge a tired out unit, in order to break them, or use them to bring down enemy generals... They're highly unlikely to run or to loose a battle regardless what unit they're fighting. Compare these men with other elite infantry (which often has less numbers), and you see they can stand their ground. Fighting on walls or in some cramped situation, they're even more effective. Their lack of shield wall makes them sligthly less effective compared to a normal spartan unit, but then the srg-general hardly cost any upkeep, they don't need retraining and after all you got this unit for free. Why do you think they're weak?
    relative to other mods they are weaker stat wise

and i dont think 500 gold per turn is "hardly any upkeep". the hetairoi costs 650 upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by aznflea View Post
    relative to other mods they are weaker stat wise

and i dont think 500 gold per turn is "hardly any upkeep". the hetairoi costs 650 upkeep.
    With the upkeep costs, I was referring to the SRG as a general's bodyguard.

But you're right, the unit SRG (which can be trained) isn't as worth it's money as in other mods. I think this is a really good job, since an IGC recruiting and deploying Spartans en masse is probably not historical. Spartan superhero's would also be a serious contradiction with the athmosphere of the game, which is imo pike-orientated, and thus slow, messy and bloody.

wth i thought generals had the same upkeep as the trained SRGs.

at any rate, killing off all my family members makes my spartan family members breed more and im a fan of not training generals or family members. i like my generals to be of the pure bred. so basically all my 'daughters' in the game get no husbands...ever. no adoption either. this gives me an army of SRG generals which i love to play around with.

A new Spartan bodyguards thread with similar questions appears once in a while. RedFox, perhaps it's time to merge all those in a sticky thread dedicated to SRG .