Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to Scandinavian fans

Laetus

Default Thanks to Scandinavian fans

Played quite a few versions of TW and watching this mod. Would like to express my sincere thanks to our Scandinavian fans (and not only them, eastern european fans as well) for their contributions to the Total War series.
    Historical research in native tongues that has not even been translated to english must number in the thousands of tons. It is an invaluable resource that local fans can provide detail and accuracy to "flesh out" more obscure factions in the game than CA have had the time and resources to perform. You add so much colour and texture to the game and this is what makes it such an enjoyable experience. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
    Some other things to swell Scandinavian heads:
    -You are some of the best english speakers I've heard in the world. Must be all those rounded vowels.
    -Sweden has one of the best recording studios; Opus 3. Love their work.
    -Denmark and Norway produce some of the world's best loudspeaker drivers.
    -You have (IMHO) the greatest percentage of beautiful, sexy women. Please treat them with the respect they deserve. (Unfortunately I'm not married to one)
    az

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Thanks to Scandinavian fans

Ha ha, thanks.

There are quite a few Scandinavian fans and team members round here... i'm not one of them though.

So true. So wrong that Finland isn't a part of scandinavia. Still we participate to miss scandinavia contest.. Which is wierd..

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    Finland isn't a part of scandinavia
    What nutter said that? Does he have a map?

My teacher actually said that.. I don't know how to translate it in english but that mountain doesnt go to Finland and that has something to do with it.

i'm danish and to the best of my knowledge it's only sweden, denmark and norway that are considered to be part of scandinavia, finland and iceland are along when we talk "the northern" countries, that is atleast what my teachers, parrents, and everyone else i have ever asked has answered lol

i can assure you that scandinavia only consists of norway, sweden and denmark.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    i can assure you that scandinavia only consists of norway, sweden and denmark.
    Indeed.
    Some might confuse it with the definition of the Nordic countries which includes Iceland and Finland as well as the Danish territory of the Faroe Islands and the Finnish territory of Åland

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhednin View Post
    Indeed.
    Some might confuse it with the definition of the Nordic countries which includes Iceland and Finland as well as the Danish territory of the Faroe Islands and the Finnish territory of Åland
    Or to Fennoscandia, which includes Sweden, Norway, Finland, Kola Peninsula and Karelia.

Like absinthia said, Scandinavia is only Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
    ”Annapas ajan kulua, päivän mennä, toisen tulla, taas minua tarvitahan, katsotahan, kaivatahan uuen sammon saattajaksi, uuen soiton suorijaksi, uuen kuun kulettajaksi, uuen päivän päästäjäksi, kun ei kuuta, aurinkoa eikä ilmaista iloa.”

Wrath of the Norsemen - Historian

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

To be fair, the term "Scandinavia" geographically means the nations of the Scandinavian peninsula: Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Denmark is continental. Probably some of Russia as well.

The term was probably applied to the "post-norse" nations (NO-SE-DK )during the 19th century, when proper nations emerged. At that time, Finland was perceived as historically Swedish territory( even though Russia grabbed it in 1809), far from an independent nation. Denmark just so happened fit ethnically well with the others, and the idea of Pan-Scandinavia seemed to demand it. The Kalmar Union provided a nice background for the idea of a union.

The idea of Scandinavia as an "etnically Norse nations" area seemed to survive the fall of racial ideology, even though we don't think about why we think of Scandinavia as only the three nations today. Back then, "Pan-Scandinavia" would include not only the three mainlands, but also the dependent territory (including Iceland, Faroes, Greenland, and so forth).

...Or at least that's my theory.

Therefore:
    -Geographic Scandinavia: Norway, Sweden and Finland
    -Political Scandinavia: Norway, Denmark and Sweden

not to be a pain in the but.
    but scandinavia is defined by the three scandinavian languages. it is as simple as that.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

enough of this nonsence. we're all brothers! Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, or Danish, we all hail from the Northlands! So let us come to gether and rejoice and drink to our ancestors memories! I at least know who my great grandfather's name! NOW DRINK TILL AND AFTER YOU DROP! and maybe have the occasional tavern brawl

That's right, brother!
    ”Annapas ajan kulua, päivän mennä, toisen tulla, taas minua tarvitahan, katsotahan, kaivatahan uuen sammon saattajaksi, uuen soiton suorijaksi, uuen kuun kulettajaksi, uuen päivän päästäjäksi, kun ei kuuta, aurinkoa eikä ilmaista iloa.”

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Lindstrom View Post
    enough of this nonsence. we're all brothers! Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, or Danish, we all hail from the Northlands! So let us come to gether and rejoice and drink to our ancestors memories! I at least know who my great grandfather's name! NOW DRINK TILL AND AFTER YOU DROP! and maybe have the occasional tavern brawl
    klart det kammerat.

i can trace my pedigree unbroken down to this guy:
    Sigurd "Bonde" Bjørnsson Gulsvik
    ca. 1410 - 1482

before that things get a bit foggy from the first mention of the ancestral farm sometime during the reign of king Sverre. we know which side "we" where on during the Bagler and Birkebeiner conflict, both...

skål!
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    skål!

No! Not skål. Perkele!

"Perkele!" Best curse word that Finland has to offer!

Sorry to be here but i can see that you guys don´t see as part of scandinavia to the Faroe Island and Iceland at all, not that i care but i thought that was the case.

Another thing to add is something i heard the other day that scandinavian have enlarged eye , i can´t noticed this but it seems that in Iceland this is a common pattern, a good sample is the singer Björk, another clear sample is the former miss universe Unnur Birna, so what do you guys say is it a yes or a no, well they are beautyfull in scandinavia(ladies only)
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

Do not feel left out Brother! What I ment is that anyone who hails from the North lands is my brother or sister. Faroe Islands, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland, I don't care. you're from the north, my blood is from the north, so there my brother! COME IN ADN DRINK TILL YOU PISS YOUR LIVER OUT!

skål!!!!

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Lindstrom View Post
    Do not feel left out Brother! What I ment is that anyone who hails from the North lands is my brother or sister. Faroe Islands, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland, I don't care. you're from the north, my blood is from the north, so there my brother! COME IN ADN DRINK TILL YOU PISS YOUR LIVER OUT!

skål!!!!
    Does that include Scotland...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Coat View Post
    What nutter said that? Does he have a map?

Scandianvains said it. And yes our maps are clever.

Quote Originally Posted by mocker View Post
    To be fair, the term "Scandinavia" geographically means the nations of the Scandinavian peninsula: Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Denmark is continental. Probably some of Russia as well.
    AHRG THE IGNORANCE! The Scandinavian peninsula = Norway-Sweden only, but Denmark is included because of cultural ties.

The term was probably applied to the "post-norse" nations (NO-SE-DK )during the 19th century, when proper nations emerged. At that time, Finland was perceived as historically Swedish territory( even though Russia grabbed it in 1809), far from an independent nation. Denmark just so happened fit ethnically well with the others, and the idea of Pan-Scandinavia seemed to demand it. The Kalmar Union provided a nice background for the idea of a union.
    The Scandinavian nations were formed in the year 900+ and further. Not the 19th century.

The idea of Scandinavia as an "etnically Norse nations" area seemed to survive the fall of racial ideology, even though we don't think about why we think of Scandinavia as only the three nations today. Back then, "Pan-Scandinavia" would include not only the three mainlands, but also the dependent territory (including Iceland, Faroes, Greenland, and so forth).
    Iceland and the Faroese Islands were inhabitet by Norwegians. But just like Australia once was populated by Irish and English convicts, doesnt mean Australia is a part of the British Isles.

...Or at least that's my theory.
    Only yours.

Therefore:
    -Geographic Scandinavia: Norway, Sweden and Finland
    Wrong.

-Political Scandinavia: Norway, Denmark and Sweden
    read up on Scandinavian history. The three countries has a history of uniting and divindig that goes back a thousand years.
    Last edited by Haakon; March 20, 2009 at 04:35 AM.
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast