Thread: [ETW AAR]: "Friedrich's Destiny"

Default [ETW AAR]: "Friedrich's Destiny"

Playing H/N as Prussia

November 1701: Berlin

Friedrich I, elector of Brandenburg and King in Prussia stood on the balcony of his palace in Berlin, reviewing the assembled might of his army as it paraded by. These troops had barely been in service for a year, but already they showed much discipline. The long column, made up of six full regiments of Prussian infantry, two regiments of gendarmerie and two batteries of demi-cannons, snaked up the long street and past his residence.
    "They look fit, my lord. Ready for fight, no doubt." Friedrich's military advisor spoke from behind him. "Those Saxon fools will no doubt fall before them."
    "It is not the Saxon's that worry me. The Poles and Austrians who they curry favor with, however, do. Konigsberg is dangerously vulnerable against a concerted strike by the Polish armies near Warsaw. Swift action is required for this, not only on the field of battle, but also in the halls of foreign governments. We will have to ensure that peace terms can be arrived at within the year, or else we stand to lose all we gain."

January 1702: Outside Dresden

The Prussian general, having surveyed the defenses of Dresden, decides that time is of the essence: rumors from the East have Polish forces mobilising all along the frontier, and some outlying settlements in East Prussia have already been raided by detachments of Polish cavalry. Even more disturbing are the reports from the King's spies that a large Austrian army was assembling in Vienna. Even with these reports, the concentrated Saxon army was further bolstered by levied citizenry. When combined these forces outnumbered the Prussian forces almost by half. Seeing little chance of a successful assault on the fortress complex surrounding the city, the Prussians settle in for siege.
    The King would not be pleased.

<to be continued>
    Last edited by Dizoakius Maximus; March 15, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    "Go to where the men speak Italian, then continue on until they speak something else."

"I've found that brothels are a much safer investment than ships. Whores rarely sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin just like everyone else." - Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

"Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life." - Falstaff
    Henry IV Part 1, 3. 3

Default Re: [ETW AAR]: "Friedrich's Destiny"

did prussia choose to make any alliance? protestant doesn't have much friends but russia might be willing to partition poland in exchange for some tech and money.

the polish are surprising weak, west prussia is basically empty. the austrian are however no pushover, they can build up a full stack before prussia can reach them, but the reward for winning against 'the empire' would be immersed. but beware of the siege bug.