Thread: A Proposal for Sarmatia

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default A Proposal for Sarmatia

I have suddenly had a moment of inspiration: We can actually represent the Saka and the Sarmatians with the same factions and still have them separate (like a Steppe Superfaction). Basically, my plan involves removing Jaxartes and then adding Saka Haumavarka in the same place (because if you just rename it, there is a strange bug if you put a family member in there, according to desc_strat), Then you move Tribus Sakae south and make it into Saka Tigrakhauda, north of Parthia. BTW, I got the names from wikipedia, which got them from a Persian inscription by Darius in Persepolis and Ectabana.

These three provinces would all belong to the Sarmatians. The landblock would be lifted. Campus Alanni would also be moved south and west to make sure it is far away from the Sakae.

I volunteer to try this out, if you think it is worth it.

Icon14 Re: A Proposal for Sarmatia

The Samaritans have the best range units in the game. (Cataphract as #1)

It's such as shame that their economy is bad, and their territorial range is too way far apart.

Default Re: A Proposal for Sarmatia

How is that relevant to what I posted? BTW, I think this may make the "Sarmatia experience" even better, if anything.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

I'm not sure a superfaction works when the regions are together...we'd probably need a landblock north of the Caspian.

I know approximately nothing about the Saka. Is it worth it to separate the steppe faction like this?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

The provinces are quite far apart from each other, and I can put the Arabian desert in the far north to separte the Sarmatians from the Saka. I think I may try it and see what happens.

Ok, I'd be curious about the results.

I'm still not sure why we can't just do it with the same faction, though. Do the Saka and Sarmatians need to be separate? For that matter, how do you tell them apart?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

It would be the same faction, just kinda split in two in the regions. They will both be exactly the same, and will be one faction, except that the Saka won't suddenly have the urge to go and visit the Alans.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

i think the idea is very good, but you'd need a landblock in between (or that desert you mention) so that the two parts of the factions won't work their way towards each other ....
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

I have planned to put part of the desert province in between, but the capital will remain in the desert. That should keep them separate. In fact, I will start testing soon, once I have updated some names for Armenia, Pontus, Parthia and Bactria. You would have thought that CA would at least have taken the names of the Armenian kings rather than Sarmatian names... And Bactria still has Thracian names with Macedonians thrown in. I have found some alternatives. Anyway, I want to do that before I start testing anything.

I love this idea. If it wasnt for the lacking economy and forced movement to the south and having to fight every battle to the last tick on the clock, I love the sarmatians. Anything to make them even a little more enjoyable would be sweet.

Ok, I'm willing to give this a try. I'd like to see how it works.

Also, I thought I took all of the Thracian names out of Bactria and replaced them with the Seleucid list. Are there still some Thracian names in there?

No, I looked wrong. The Thracian names are gone. However, if you look at the names of the Bactrian and Indo-Greek kings, only one in ten of them are actually there.

Really? Oh. Yeah, that's not cool. Would you mind adding those if you have a moment?