Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bulgarians are mainly slavic rigth?

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Default Re: Bulgarians are mainly slavic rigth?

The Slavic people as a whole - maybe not. Some Slavs - yes, most likely (especially in Ukraine, although the Polish nobles also used to pretend Sarmatian heritage).
    As for books - for the Bulgarian case you'd find various books with various (and often quite different) conclusions (mostly old Turkic propaganda, considering the modern Iranic theory and autochtonic thesis haven't yet left our borders too much). And I don't think there's ever been one book/study that would systemize and show all the various theses and theories with their pros and cons objectively. And for the Slavic ethnogenesis - I have no idea, though I'm sure finding books on it would be easier.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Anakarsis View Post
    All what i´ve readed here is very interesting. Can someone recommend book with the basics of Bulgarian and Slavic etnogenesis?

And a question from ignorance: the slavic people, speaking GENERALLY, does not have northern iranian (scytho-sarmatian) elements in its etnogenesis?
    The bulgarians are as the turks are today. I mean there is no bulgarian type typical as there is no turk. It was a place of imperial mixture. Ranging from snow white types to gypsy yellow. Yet most of the bulgarians should be slavs, which would make them in outer appearance a central-eastern european type.

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Well, today´s turks are among the most phenotype-rich people in the world, i´ve seem people from there that look arabian, others fully caucasian, many mediterranean and some central asia (that is supposedly the origin of turks). So if Bulgarians are the same, its quite impossible to track their origins by ADN-phenotype alone.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Indeed, especially without a great organization and a lot of good will on all levels.
    Of course, anthropologists do notice some specific features among the Bulgarians (skull, nose and I think a few other things, but can't remember what was it exactly), but even then they're not spread 100% among us and are hardly noticeable by a non-anthropologist anyway.
    Last edited by NikeBG; October 24, 2010 at 05:33 AM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Of course, anthropologists do notice some specific features among the Bulgarians (skull, nose and I think a few other things, but can't remember what was it exactly)
    Typical bulgarian saying. We never remember or know what it was... Davai se taka, pi4 And for the most important things.

p.s. I should get a honorary doctorship in bulgaroknowledge being 50% such.
    Last edited by Dracula; October 24, 2010 at 08:58 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Well, I can check my file with notes on the Bulgarian anthropology researches and see if there's anything more specific mentioned there, if you wish?

Edit: Actually, I did, and here are some features which seem to be common among the Bulgars, according to a 17 years of research led by the team of prof. Yordan Yordanov:
    Most of the people in Bulgaria have a fair skin - 80%. The faces are tall and moderately wide with a reversed trapezium-shaped form. The face of the men is usually slimmer, while that of the women is moderately protuberant. The eyelid is wide open. The nose is straight, thin, with an elongated back and tip, pointing forward and downwards. The head is relatively big (its circuit among men is 574 mm, and for women - 545 mm). 80% of the men and 67% of the women are dark-haired (brown-black hair), mostly people from the eastern regions. Auburn-haired are 17,8% of the men and 25,6% of the women (blond are 2,6% of the men and 7% of the women). The dark eyes are also a bit more wide-spread, though not in such dominating degrees - the black-brown and brown eyes are 47,6% for the men and 56,6% for the women, while the bright colourful eyes, i.e. green-brown and grey-brown, are respectively 44,5% for the men and 37,6% for the women.
    Last edited by NikeBG; October 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

A bulgarian actor, first role in the "Il Mestriere delle Armi", great film.
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; October 27, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Who's that? I don't think I've seen him before (haven't heard of the movie either, at least in its Italian name). And I'd say he looks a bit more Mediterranean than the average Bulgarian. Or at least I haven't seen such raven-black hairs (and eyes?) often here (not to mention I myself am considerably more Alpine/Nordic/North-Pontic, as an "opposition" to him).

Italian movie made in Bulgaria, with bulgarian actors, about Giovanni de Medici.
    Hristo Jivkov in this pic.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Ah, Hristo Zhivkov! He played John the Baptist in the Passion of the Christ. Nice! Though he does look a bit darker than usual on this pic...

Yes, I think he had colored his hairs for this role

Good movie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123