Thread: Editing fire drill usage

Default Editing fire drill usage

Is it possible to edit what type of firing drill a unit uses? Trying to get elite units to use fire by rank instead of platoon fire.
    The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)

Default Re: Editing fire drill usage

It's possible but it does require Hex editing

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=235147&page=2

Sadly, Hex editing is far out of my league.
    The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.

Is it possible to make the platoon bigger?

111222333444 111112222333
    111222333444 to 111112222333
    111222333444 111112222333

This will make the platoon valley more effective.

To my knowledge that isn't possible... yet.

So, I gave it a look-see in a hex editor, and my head asploded! I think I know what to delete, but I see several units (like the Black Watch) that have the "Improved Platoon fire grouped" entered in not once, but twice? Why? And more importantly, should both be deleted?

I have no idea why, when i was testing it I deleted both and it worked fine.

Ah, thank you very much. Also, in the other post, you said to delete the information between the & marks. I note though that entries are not always separated by & marks, sometimes using ) or others. I assume it's roughly the same thing, and just delete the info between those marks (but not the marks themselves)?

each line you wanna delete is made up of unit id (e.g. euro superior line infantry blackwatch) and then the ability (e.g. platoon fire grouped). All the examples I can find have '&' either side, if both marks before and after are the same delete one of them as well. If they are not the same you have a 50/50 of deleting the wrong one and possibly messing up the game, as I have no idea what they actually mean.

Code:

&.e.u.r.o._.s.u.p.e.r.i.o.r._.l.i.n.e._.i.n.f.a.n.t.r.y._.b.l.a.c.k.w.a
    .t.c.h...i.m.p.r.o.v.e.d._.p.l.a.t.o.o.n._.f.i.r.e._.g.r.o.u.p.e.d.&.

Odd. I edited and saved the file, reinserting it into the pack file. The game crashed on start. I unpacked the file and opened it in hex editor, but the file showed as if it had not been changed at all. Despite that, the game would not start with that edited pack, and I had to use a backup pack file.

EDIT: D'oh. I gave it a try, but remembered to delete the mark between the two platoon fire entries. Re-inserted the file into the pack and the game started up.
    Last edited by Metallikat; March 13, 2009 at 07:59 PM.