Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone create a tiny mod where...

Default Can someone create a tiny mod where...

Can someone create a tiny mod which makes "rank fire" invention active for ALL nations at the begining of the game (or at leas tell how to make it). only this tech.

Because its a pain for me (maniac for historical realism) to see that nations in 1700 can only use first rank for firing. its completely non historical to fight with native americans with shooters in first rank.
    3 rank firinh company vs natives its as great as Victorian Redcoats vs Zulu in "Zulu" movie.
    FUR KAISER UND VATERLAND!!!

Miles

Default Re: Can someone create a tiny mod where...

you realize you can mod this in very simple. i don't have the game yet, but a feature like this is simply a 'yes/no' kinda things... if someone could just provide the right file, or list of files (for each unit) then you can just change it on up...
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

The problem with tiny mods being released as patch packs is that it's going to be common that many mods modify the same file. I expect that CA has a mechanism either built in to the game or in their yet-to-be-released mod tools that will merge these files. Certainly that merging is easier (for a computer) with the binary format they have. But until we can use that mechanism, we're going to have to come up with some merging capability.

i absolutely agree with you, fjodin. the whole research system has some major flaws.

Some things make absolutely no sense in this game.

Unless someone has figured out where the starting tech for each civ is set, the easiest way I can think of for doing this is to change the required building for Rank Fire down to the starting military building and edit the research point requirement to nil.

how about a mod that unlocks all tech at the beginning? i just lost both of my 1760s campaign save files to corruption/white screen ctd.

i don't feel like waiting for the tech tree anymore.

my third campaign

The research system is ok, but non historical. I am historican maniac, but I can play with it, but only with rank fire at begining. Even medieval musketeers can use rank fire. And its not realistic when 120 musketers use onle 40 (1 rank) to fire 120 native americans. Ok, after volley of 40 maybe...15 indians dead, but after that it will be melee. Non realistic! It should be 3 rank volleys (or 1 whole company massive volley, and then melee! like in "Zulu")
    FUR KAISER UND VATERLAND!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johncage View Post
    how about a mod that unlocks all tech at the beginning? i just lost both of my 1760s campaign save files to corruption/white screen ctd.

i don't feel like waiting for the tech tree anymore.

my third campaign
    That's relatively simple, just use LtChambers PackFileManager (1.5) to load up the technologies db and change all the research point requirements to 0. Won't give you the tech in the first turn but they will only take a turn each.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jams79 View Post
    That's relatively simple, just use LtChambers PackFileManager (1.5) to load up the technologies db and change all the research point requirements to 0. Won't give you the tech in the first turn but they will only take a turn each.
    +rep nice jam
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

How do I open it? When I try to open it with PackFileManager 1.5 it just says:

"System.ArgumentException: not a pack file
    Parameter name: filepath
    at PackFileManager.PackFile.Open(String filepath)
    at PackFileManager.PackFileManagerForm.OpenExistingPackFile(String filepath)"

You have to open it whilst inside a pack. So you open up patch.pack (or main.pack, I don't remember if the patch alters technology) and then you can edit the technology file from WITHIN the pack file without needing to unpack anything.

Oh.. Ok, thanks man.

Can someone elaborate on how exactly to do this? I've opened the patch file, but there are several different categories for each technology ability. These are different for all of them, and I'm not sure what each number represents. When I look at the file I see something like this:

military_army_fire_by_rank -- drill_school -- 7 -- 176 -- military_army_fire_by_rank -- 0 - 0 - 0 -0 - 1

Which of these do I edit to make it work from the start? I changed 176 to 0, and changed drill_school to army_barracks, but that did not do it. Neither did changing the 7 to a 0 as well. What am I supposed to change?

I made this post late at night and it seems to have gotten drowned in a bunch of newer ones. Anyone have any idea how to change just 1 technology like this?

...Bump!

In theory, change the 176 to 0 and the drill_school to army_encampment. this won't give you the technology on game start but it will make it available for research straight away (and it'll only take one turn to research).

In theory, change the 176 to 0 and the drill_school to army_encampment. this won't give you the technology on game start but it will make it available for research straight away (and it'll only take one turn to research).
    Yeah I tried that, and it didn't work :/

I've figured out that the number following the army_encampment, barracks, etc is the identifier for where it is located. Still, the #7 slot for army_encampment isn't taken, so it shouldn't make a difference. When I tried what you said though, nothing really appeared to change.

Hehe I forgot what I worked out when I looked at this before. What you need to do is change the 176 to 0, leave all the rest of that file the same and change the required building and tech(?) in technology_required_building_levels_junctions and technology_required_technology_junctions respectively.

Hmm, I can't open either of those using the Pack File Manager; How do I edit them?

i set it up to be available for research at the start and it worked fine for me. hell, it even moves the icon in the tech tree up to the top...i thought that was kind of cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast