Thread: mulitplayer is so retarted

Default mulitplayer is so retarted

Everybody is so frecking stupid in how they play. Everybody i have fought just sits back on their a$$ and defends. Of course if i do not attack, the game will be going on for 2 hours. I rather have someone meet me out in the field, fight...and if i lose i consider him a better player. But for someone to just sit on a hill and refuse to come down and fight on equal terms is just plain pathetic.

Default Re: mulitplayer is so retarted

That's the game play some non ranked high chance you will find way more people playing the way you want
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

Zyphlan is a legend, you don't need to be popular to be legendary .

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlan View Post
    That's the game play some non ranked high chance you will find way more people playing the way you want
    Condescending now, are we?

Anyways I have been finding multiplayer boring myself. As it consists of me playing offense every single match (and winning) because the chump on the other side doesn't want to play in any other way besides camping with the same formation every match.

Best option is to immediately click the ready timer and use a no-arty army with a fair amount of skirmishers or to simply make a no-mortar server.

I agree it's borring as hell.Why they don't put a bonus, something like, more your units move, more you can get a moral boost for a limited time.And give us a plain map, with no trees

I am just saying if wants that kind of wars he should play non ranked games seeing people will be more easy to allow a lose.
    A legend is only a legend when alot of people talks about him. So far no one meets this requirement except Zyphlan
    ~PrimeChaosVC

They say real legends never die, and if screen shots can be believed, it would appear he has arisen to revisit unspeakable horrors on all who would oppose him!

It is a strategy that you have to beat I am afraid. All I know is that trees are your friend.

I am just saying if wants that kind of wars he should play non ranked games seeing people will be more easy to allow a lose.
    There is actually really no difference in playing styles between unranked and ranked.

Civis

I'm frustrated about this kind of gameplay, as I stated in the thread about the use of mortars.

Zyphlan, I don't understand how you can brag with those stars while admitting that you play with 6 (!) mortars in a game. But I don't want to offend, let's just say it makes mp an annoying thing for me.

Of course it's possible to win as the attacking side, feels even better. But the situation gets even worse when even your ally prefers to sit back, while you're are getting sandwiched in the worst manner.

If people are really playing this game for fun, I wonder why they are playing it in such a super-boring fashion.

Toorima im not bragging about them.
    Im just defending the right to say im undefeated in 1v1 ranked.
    Im not bragging with it.
    I actually responded too a spot how much rating does everyone have.

And indeed Toorima i ainīt playing ranked because its all fun i play it because i like to wager stuff instead of having fun.
    ~PrimeChaosVC

ETW is pretty clearly based around the grand campaign, but you don't really notice it until you play a few matches.

The defensive player has quite an advantage. Grats to those who have mastered the art of offense, but continuously withdrawing up a hill leap-frogging your units seems a hard thing to counter. Mortars need to be taken out of the game. And while having calvary being balanced for once is a good thing, I find the chain-routes difficult to achieve - line units and grenadiers seem to lack the punch that would make offensive play worth it.

Maybe there's some grand school of tactical thought I'm missing out on, but so far it seems like both players go find a hill and take a defensive position around their mortars. The first person to go offensive (or the person with the least amount of mortars) loses.

^^^^ and then they call themselves the better player for sitting on their butts doing nothing but waiting for me to attack. It's really annoying. Get some skill. I guess i will take out an all mortar army next time i play just to piss him off.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

One of the main reasons why I prefer not to play with people I don't know is precisely because of this. At least with my friends I know what they're up to and I can make solid agreements, but with random people on the internet, you're always bound to come across the hill-campers, mortar spammers, people who don't see the fight through to the end, Zyphlan-types and people who generally haven't heard of the word 'sportsmanship'.

I don't think multiplayer itself is retarded, even though I would've liked there to be more options in recruitment and maybe even a 'middle' period, but it's true that there are more than a few players out there who ruin the experience. Like I said; it helps if you know people in real life who play the game. If you don't, I suppose you just have to keep looking for players who are willing and capable of playing fair and stick with them.

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

You need to stop thinking of your army as one army! That is the mayor problem, armies in these times consisted of multiple corps. So if your enemy is defending flank him with one or two groups.

Also if you really want realism i recommend Cossacks2: Battle for Europe. That game got clear battlefield objectives, road system, really big battlefield maps that you can flank with big forces. It has really taken the operational warfare in to consideration. Also got a great morale system.

LegioXGemina, the key here is to find opponents with the same attitude and love for historical recreation (for what is possible with Empire right now). You will not find any players coming from NTW2 taking mortars or rockets or more than 2 grenadier (I take none). The NWG group clearly play with rules forbidding mortars and the like.
    It's up to you to find good players who play for enjoyment and not for stripes and stars.

Not everybody seats back! I never did on ranked games I've always been agressive and offensive, so there are way to win against campers!
    But it's right mortars are overpowered and rest of artillery is underpowered

Plus playing for enjoyment is not incompatible with stars and the like. This kind of statement makes me think about the red orchestra scene...
    You can be a competitive player that wants historical "accuracy" if it means no total bullcrap as mortars in Empire and no reload bug in RO.
    Last edited by Metalhead1986; March 14, 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Civis

And indeed Toorima i ainīt playing ranked because its all fun i play it because i like to wager stuff instead of having fun.
    Call me a mislead noob, but Im not following on this one.

If there's no rules, I sometimes take mortars, but two max. The guy who said sportmanship has it right. Rockets are ugly anyway, so I rarely bother with them.

I like cannons and the fact that one can move them. Five max, maybe six..., but that includes the odd mortar now and again. I don't spam arty. I always fight until the end. Feel free to add me

Toorima im not bragging about them.
    Im just defending the right to say im undefeated in 1v1 ranked.
    Im not bragging with it.
    I actually responded too a spot how much rating does everyone have.

Isn't that like saying "In Battlefield 2, I've never been killed because I camp a doorway with a machine gun." ?

:hmmm:

Really, claiming to be undefeated using tactics that are largely considered lame isn't something to be proud of. Camping and spamming an overpowered weapon hardly equals skill. Do whatever you want, but don't come on here and talk up your 'strategy'. Mmkay?

well if the enemy sits on their buts and does nothing that gives you the initiative take it and youl win =]

guerra's Avatar Biarchus

I recently had a 2vs2 where my entire army was made up of Ghourkas, my elephant mounted general and 4 Siphis cavalry units. First thing I did was march my entire army towards the enemy's position. He had quite a lot of mortars, oddly enough. I quickly dispatched them with my siphis cavalry and butchered his line infantry with my ghourkas. I think I lost about 40-50 men, and must have killed about 800 of his.

Then I quickly turned my attention to the other half of the battlefield, where unfortunately, my teammate was smashed to itty bitty pieces by his rival. I rallied my troops and had this really beautiful defense of overlapping line infantry up on a hill.

My Ghourkas were butchered. Going uphill against a very well defended position, but the guy wasn't a camper, he actually went up hill to kill my teammate. I was hoping my teammate could at the very least hold the line. But no... anyways, we battled it out, my ghourkas as hardy as they are, got ripped to shreds, but my Siphis came to save the day. Flank attack with all my might, all 4 cavalry units in one flank. (Thankfully his cavalry was killed against my teammate)

Unfortunately however, while there was a brief glimmer of hope, his staggered line formation won the day, I charged my General into the fray in a suicidal attack, you know, death but no dishonour kind of thing. He managed to survive the attack but eventually fled when he was the last one alive.

The end. Marginal victory for gunpowder and hilltop positions.