Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My review of Flanders/Belgium:

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Default My review of Flanders/Belgium:

Only been to Brussels and Antwerp now, but nevertheless:

The Good
    The Flemish accent is pro. I love it. You people have got some hilarious words in there (poepen in Flemish, neuken in Dutch, I saw this during Watchmen. Flemish subtitles ftw. I had to keep myself from lolling).

Brussels public transport is made of win. Trains every 5 minutes. Squeeky clean subways. Everything runs on time. The subway trains aren't even vandalised, which is pretty much standard in the Netherlands. Cushioned leather tramseats WITHOUT knifemarks? Good job.

Brussels as a city is awesome. Whether you're having a night out on De Brouckére (which feels like a European Times Square) or you're sniffing culture at De Grote Markt, it's amazing. The architecture of Brussels is -phenomenal-. I also like how modern buildings are built -around- medieval ones, to preserve the city's character. Job well done.

The people in Antwerpen are very nice. Whereas I experienced some slight anti-Dutch sentiments in Brussels, the Antwerpenaren were all friendly and polite.

Smaller Flemish towns have more "Frituren" than you can shake a stick at. I also like how they don't really feel like you're driving around in the 21st century. Most smaller Flemish towns have this 18th century feel to them for some reason.

Lots of police about patrolling. We even got a talking to just for hanging around at a statue.

Waffles. Nom nom nom.

The Bad:
    It took us two days to find a Frituur in Brussels. Such a hard time finding Vlaamse Frieten in the Belgian capital? What's up with that!

The Belgian roads are... not that good. Of course, as a Dutchman I'm somewhat spoiled since our roads are too pro. 8D I just found it amazing how as soon as I cross the border, the asphalt gets noisy, the roads are bumpy and filled with holes and the roadsigns are sometimes vague.

It appears that Dutch is no longer a factor in Brussels, which bothered me. I had hoped for the city to be a bit more bi-lingual. Nobody at all spoke Dutch.

Belgian houses are a bit strange. It's like people randomly took plates of metal, bricks and a bunch of nails and started throwing buildings together. In Holland everything is so structurised and neatly planned out. In Belgium, every building is different from its neighbour.

Conclusion:
    All in all, I had fun. Brussels, despite its Frenchiness, is definitely a place to return to. Antwerpen seems worth exploring a bit more but it did feel a bit cold and distant (the city, not the people) compared to its bigger capital city brother.

Belgian people are among the most kind and polite I've had the pleasure of experiencing in any country in Europe. You're currently ranked #2 on my politeness list, with #1 being Sweden.

It would seem that 1839 only did you folk a lot of good
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Senator
    Clinging tenaciously to my guns and bibles.

Default Re: My review of Flanders/Belgium:

Great review there. I was thinking about heading through Brussels over the summer and you just confirmed my decision.

Sweden the most polite?! Surely not behind us British.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

IF you count extreme arrogance and public drunkship as polite, yes.

The Flemish accent sucks really bad but there fireworks make it up for the most part...
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    IF you count being extreme arrogantness and public drunkness as polite, yes.
    Not sure what experiences you had with the Belgians but mine were the opposite of that o_O
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Not sure what experiences you had with the Belgians but mine were the opposite of that o_O
    Britain...
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    Britain...
    Oh right. Duh. XD

Mate, Vince was having a laugh. I thought that was obvious

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

It took us two days to find a Frituur in Brussels. Such a hard time finding Vlaamse Frieten in the Belgian capital? What's up with that!
    It appears that Dutch is no longer a factor in Brussels, which bothered me. I had hoped for the city to be a bit more bi-lingual. Nobody at all spoke Dutch.
    Although Brussels is the capital of Belgium, so both Flanders and Wallonia, most "Bruxellois" only speak french. The last 20 years, Brussels has Frenchified quite rapidly, though it already was quite french.

The Belgian roads are... not that good. Of course, as a Dutchman I'm somewhat spoiled since our roads are too pro. 8D I just found it amazing how as soon as I cross the border, the asphalt gets noisy, the roads are bumpy and filled with holes and the roadsigns are sometimes vague.
    That's how we know when we cross the Belgian border

The Flemish accent sucks really bad

What accent ? Aantwaarps ? West-Vloms ? Bruussels ? ....

IF you count extreme arrogance and public drunkship
    That is Antwerp...

Mar alleen wa zegde gij náhh chefke!
    Mwahh Gertje!

It is that bad...
    Miss me yet?

Allè jong, wa dis dr na mis me è schoewn dialec of n acceent ?

Kempens:

Gents:

West-Vloms:

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

It's great to see reviews of various places in this forum. It really helps if you're planning to go somewhere and can find a good post here.

Btw I have two questions.

1) Did you find any places to sleep that you can recommend?

2) Any great resturants or beer brands that we should try to find if in Flandern?

Amateurs, I use 'wou' instead of 'wilde'.

grammar.
    Die kost duur...
    Last edited by Treize; March 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Miss me yet?

Any great resturants or beer brands that we should try to find if in Flandern
    I would say:
    Karmeliet
    Ename
    Geuze
    Westmalle
    Grimbergen
    Duvel

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    I would say:
    Karmeliet
    Ename
    Geuze
    Westmalle
    Grimbergen
    Duvel
    This is quite amusing, I've already tried Karmeliet, Westmalle, Grimbergen and Duvel and they are all excellent beers (Karmeliet is actually one of my favourite beers). Geuze is also temporarily in stock in my local liqour store so I'll have to buy it despite being quite expensive .

I would also like to add another beer to the list of good Flemish beer

Ichtegems Grand Cru it's a flemish red ale that is fermented in such a way that lactic acid is produced and thereby gives it a somewhat sour and very refreshing taste.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Only been to Brussels and Antwerp now, but nevertheless:
    Liar! You haven't been to Flanders, you've been to Brabant!

I refuse to acknowledge them as Flemish anywhere but in a modern political sense. Historically, culturally, ethnically, linguistically,... they aren't

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Ichtegems Grand Cru it's a flemish red ale that is fermented in such a way that lactic acid is produced and thereby gives it a somewhat sour and very refreshing taste.
    Flemish red ales are exquisite and rather unique beers, the most known is of course Rodenbach, one of my favourite beers.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Maraud View Post
    Liar! You haven't been to Flanders, you've been to Brabant!

I refuse to acknowledge them as Flemish anywhere but in a modern political sense. Historically, culturally, ethnically, linguistically,... they aren't
    o_O

Wat.

Why? XD It's not like the area known as Flanders is exactly massive. Both cities are in this area... seems clear to me? 8D

The region which most people call Flanders, is actually a combination of old duchies and counties. In the Middle Ages, the most important ones where Flanders (modern provinces West-Vlaanderen and Oost-Vlaanderen ) and Brabant (modern provinces Antwerpen, Vlaams-Brabant and Limburg). These two 'regions' are hardly known among the people, but there are slight differences between these regions, e.g. Flemish accents are the opposite of Brabandian accents.

The Bad: It appears that Dutch is no longer a factor in Brussels, which bothered me. I had hoped for the city to be a bit more bi-lingual. Nobody at all spoke Dutch

(personally, i would have put that in : The good) joking

Working people is flemish

Living people speaks french

I'm a bit surprised you did not included the beers in the good

And about "frituur", yeah, in fact there are more kebab/durum/pitta sellers than fritkot

And about public transports ... damn, you have been freakin lucky !!

But it's always nice to hear people saying good about Brussels

And we are proud about our roads !!! that makes you learn how to sneak around at high speed
    But at least, our motorways are lightened

Because ours are not...
    Miss me yet?

Well, the motorway that goes from antwerpen to Breda (A1) and to Bergen op zoom (A4) is not lightened on your side.

And if i remember well, it's not lightened till your reach Utrecht if heading to amsterdam

So no, your ones are not near the borders

The Bad:
    You didnt find the massive Fritland at the Beurs!? Where did you stay, there is also one at IJser metrostation

Nobody at all spoke Dutch.
    But then again most inhabitants dont speak much french either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast