Thread: 5 Reasons to include the Lorica Segmantata in EBII

Default 5 Reasons to include the Lorica Segmantata in EBII

I have noticed that the EB team (certain members, anyways) has discarded the appearance of the lorica segmentata in the mod. But even though this had been discussed before I want to write my 5 reasons why i think its just too important to be left out.

1. The lorica segmentata is an iconic symbol of Roman military at its greatest and was extensively used the time of Emperor Trajan around 100 AD. The mod does not go that far, by it should, because this is when Rome reached its greatest expansion during this time. If we want to be fear to all factions Rome should get the time to reach at least its greatest glory. No only that but the Roman Empire could have been far greater, and the map extending to India gives the player a chance to go beyond the actual empire. If the Empire would have continued to expand I'm positive the Lorica segmentata would have been used more and more.

2. The lorica segmentata was used at least by half the army and there's even archeological evidence that suggests that even auxiliary units used them at one point. Even though the lorica hamata remained standard, if the lorica segmentata was used by at least half the army, that is still a large amount of troops.

3. The Medieval armor upgrade feature is excellent to represent the historic accuracy of the LS. The LS should be put as the highest form of armor and we all know that to put the highest form of armor in M2 takes an extremely long amount of time. Just to reach the highest level armors takes many turns' worth of building construction and then chances are you only have the highest armor producing facilities in like 2 provinces and only a few number of troops get to have the actual upgrade. Well i think this would work perfect to upgrade the armor of the cohorts using the m2 system, and the player would get the LS very late in game, but it would worth it, some might even want to play to the end just to see their cohorts in majestic LS armor. Just because 'fan boys' love the LS so much that doesn't make it historically inaccurate.

4. While historical accuracy is excellent and we all want it, there's still the possibility that the Roman Empire could have used the LS more and sooner, had the empire expanded quicker (with less civil wars, etc...) And the player can change the course of history, so a Roman army with the LS in 50 BC, for example could have been a possibility if things would have gone differently.

5. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the some EB team members make it seem like the LS is the devil and they hate the idea of including it in the mod when it would be a something that is not only historically accurate, but also would please a lot of fans.

Whether you decided to include LS in EBII, this is still a great mod and thank you for the effort to make it work on Medieval, it will not only be the best mod for Med2 but also will make Med2-EBII the best rome-era game ever. Again, in no way am I trying to criticize your work just adding my two cents.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: 5 Reasons to include the Lorica Segmantata in EBII

1. The mod covers the period from the unification of Italy to the birth of the Empire, about 90 before LS introduction at least.

2.Again, not during this time period

3.true enough, but that's extra modelling for a late-game feature.

4.The civil war period actually formed the empire, the republican system was unsuitable for ruling a large empire like Rome's

5.No, It's just not present in the time period they are covering, and considering the depth of detail they go into, the inclusion of LS would be inconsistent.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

If the team went beyond the standard time period they'd have to include a good number of new fations and details that didn't exist before. This is why they left it this way, but you could still mod the mod.

Nº 1 reason to include the lorica segmantata: It looks awsome!

aNarion.'s Avatar Centenarius

Would be a shame leaving out the 'typical roman appearance', in the biggest Rome mod to Medieval2..

Im for the suggestion, but ofcourse its not up to us..

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

EB might have been build upon RTW, but it doesn't put Rome in the spotlight. All factions are equally treated and giving one of them an ahistorical feature, would be unfair to the others. Or are you suggesting that the Sweboz for example should get their OMGZERKERS back?
    Last edited by eggthief; March 12, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

What is this, the eighth or ninth time this issue has been raised? Is there some shadowy Lorica Segementata global action group that's out to poison historical accuracy, or something?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Well I bet that it's even bigger than that, John-117 probably controls a huge network of people who want every piece of 'popular history' used in the game.

I'd take all these 'Put LS in the mod' requests more seriously if only the people who make them knew that 'Segmentata' was not the name that the Romans use for this armour.

The Byzantines used Greek fire extensively: should we put that in the mod as well?
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I'll make a submod with LS in Polybian era. And four Roman factions. So no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by eggthief View Post
    EB might have been build upon RTW, but it doesn't put Rome in the spotlight. All factions are equally treated and giving one of them an ahistorical feature, would be unfair to the others. Or are you suggesting that the Sweboz for example should get their OMGZERKERS back?
    1-The ls is certainly not ahistorical

2-Forget about the OMGZERKERS, the Sweboz already have two-handed giant-sword weilders in EB1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    What is this, the eighth or ninth time this issue has been raised? Is there some shadowy Lorica Segementata global action group that's out to poison historical accuracy, or something?
    Again, the romans did use the ls, even if not in the mod's time period.

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    I'd take all these 'Put LS in the mod' requests more seriously if only the people who make them knew that 'Segmentata' was not the name that the Romans use for this armour.

The Byzantines used Greek fire extensively: should we put that in the mod as well?
    1-Do you know what it was?

2-Byzantines??
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 12, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Yes well, should the factions in greece get flamethrowers in that case? Or wait, should the Gallic tribes get knights in plate armor? After all those existed in those areas, just in a different time. Shorter said, you try to defy logic and you fail big time at it.

1-The ls is certainly not ahistorical
    Its not , but the date you want to put the LS in is AHISTORICAL.

2-Forget about the OMGZERKERS, the Sweboz already have two-handed giant-sword weilders in EB1

Again, the romans did use the ls, even if not in the mod's time period.
    No , they did Not.

2-Byzantines??
    Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Yes well, should the factions in greece get flamethrowers in that case? Or wait, should the Gallic tribes get knights in plate armor? After all those existed in those areas, just in a different time. Shorter said, you try to defy logic and you fail big time at it.
    Agreed...
    WHY NOT INCLUDE SOM OMGOLIFAUNTS FOR THE CARTHAGINIANS SO WE CAN PAWNZ THE ROMANS?

Lock this up , before we get more Ignorant posts posted by guys who "SEEM TO KNOW THEIR HISTORY"
    thanks

delra's Avatar Praepositus

How about Camel Cataphract Archers with golden LS on them.

or Romans that steamroll the world...... oh wait never mind they actually did exist

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    How about Camel Cataphract Archers with golden LS on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deimos View Post
    or Romans that steamroll the world...... oh wait never mind they actually did exist
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
    The trolls from Age of Mythology that throw LS POSTS ROCKS AT DUMB THREADS MADE ABOUT THE LS BEING INCLUDED IN EB2Enemies ?

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

The Greeks invented the flamethrower during the Golden Age of the Greeks. A hollow log with bellows at one end, a bowl of tar and oil and other flammable crap at the other end aswell as a leather cover. It looked like a battering ram but spewed fire. How's that for different time frame. Why not just include the LS to make a lot of people happy. I don't really mind if it's not but it looks amazing is all. But anyways, you start off in the 3rd Century BC with historically accurate Empires. Whose to say that after 200 years and 800 turns, your Empire will still be perfectly historical.
    Last edited by ISA Gunner; March 13, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Don't torment a dead horse.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE