Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [ETW AAR] Rzeczpospolita - Role Playing AAR

Default [ETW AAR] Rzeczpospolita - Role Playing AAR

Rzeczpospolita

In this AAR I will be playing as Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. However, It won`t be usual gameplay style that you can often find in these forums. I will do my best to role play Polish-Lithuanian king, ministers, generals and agents. My choices and gaming will depend on traits and characteristics of these persons, even if these choices might mean disadvantage. I hope that it will guarantee good fun and challange for me, as well as for readers.

As for style, you can expect short history book style with a lot of edited images. It will be rather detailed and short paced.

Difficulty - Vh/Vh

First chapter, introduction, will follow shortly, then I`ll move to actual game.
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Default Re: [ETW AAR]Rzeczpospolita - Role Playing AAR

Rzeczpospolita

Chapter 1 - Short history of the Commonwealth

Bond between Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania started with joint alliance against expansionist state of the Teutonic Knights in XVth century. Under leadership of newly crowned Władysław Jagiełło Polish-Lithunian forces crushed might of the knights during battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg). Wars between three states lasted until year 1525, when last Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order pledged homage to Polish king, creating secularized Duchy of Prussia as vassal of Polish-Lithuanian kings.

Albrecht Hohenzollern kneeling before king Sigismund I the Old

Even though common enemy in the Baltic region was defeated, Grand Duchy Lithuania needed assistance in the east, against growing power of Muscovy. Wanting to keep vast lands of old Rus`, into which Lithuania expanded after Mongol invasion, nobility in both countries wanted to get them even closer. Thus, in year 1569 Union of Lublin was signed, creating a new country - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. However, new kings had to be elected by nobility, and Sejm greatly decreased their power.

PLC in year 1569

With the beginning of XVIIth century, Poland-Lithuania continued to dominate Eastern Europe as major power. At this time, legendary Winged Hussars were at their golden age, defeating even thrice more numerous enemy (like at Kircholm against Sweden) with ease. Polish expedition even managed to capture and occupy Moscow during Russian Time of Troubles. Unfortunately with each passing decade, decentralised political system where nobility had more two say than king, began to show signs of rot.

First sign of weakness was Ruthenian uprising led by Zaporozhian Cossacks, against polonised nobles who exploited local peasantry. Second blow was invasion of Swedes known as Deluge, which devastated the country, and during which some powerful nobles sided with invaders.

Zaporozhian Cossacks

One of the last glorious moments in history of the Commonwealth was the Battle of Vienna, where Polish army led by king Jan III Sobieski saved Austrians from Ottoman onslaught. Unfortunately, after death of Sobieski, foreign powers began to seriously influence internal politics of Poland-Lithuania. One of the examples was election of August II the Strong, elector of Saxony, for the new king in 1697 - candidate strongly supported by Austria and Russia.

August II

Would August II manage to limit power of nobility and foreign powers? Or maybe it`s to late to reform?

Stay tuned for first installment to find out.
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Rzeczpospolita

Chapter II - Poland-Lithuania in year 1700

Even though Poland-Lithuania still possessed considerably large territory, it could no longer be counted among major European powers. Agriculture based economy was weak, there was no navy, and no political will to create one. Also, while the west progressed into age of enlightenment, many Polish and Lithuanian nobles embraced ideas of sarmatism, which was probably complete opposite. Only military forces were quite large. Unfortunately, Winged Hussars were largely gone, and quality of troops was rather poor.

Commonwealth was a member of Russian-led, anti-Swedish alliance, together with Denmark. Saxony was under personal union with August II on throne, while Duchy of Courland after over 100 years, still remained Polish-Lithuanian vassal. Ottomans, still remembering defeat at Vienna, were hostile. Austria, Prussia, and Crimean Khanate were unfriendly towards the Commonwealth.

PLC remained largely catholic with small protestant and orthodox minorities, in western and eastern provinces. Treasury income from trade and taxes was small, and August II was relying strongly on Saxon money, which caused controversy in his home country.

Poland with capital in Warsaw, as well as Galicia-Podolia were the richest provinces. Trade potential of West Prussia and port city of Gdańsk was unfortunately wasted.

Limited trade deals, were conducted with Russia, Courland and Prussia. Unfortunately, worsening relations with latter might soon end one third of exports value.

That`s it for now. In next chapter I`ll introduce ministers/generals, and then to actual game.
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 09:57 AM.

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

Looks nice

But You want to make historical AAR on unhistorical game
    What about unhistoric units?
    Unhistoric AI factins behavier?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    Looks nice

But You want to make historical AAR on unhistorical game
    What about unhistoric units?
    Unhistoric AI factins behavier?
    Not historical AAR, ETW is not realistic enough - as we all know. By 'history-book' I was referring to style of narration only.

Being familiatr with your style of writting I can't wait
    Also for XVII CENTURY TW AAR

Hi,

I know it is rather short historical introduction but I would have some comments if you don't mind.

Bond between Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania started with joint alliance against expansionist state of the Teutonic Knights in XVth century.

First Polish-Lithuanian Union was signed in 1385 in Krewo. So XVth century may sound a bit late and some people may think it was late XV other that early XV.

[quote]With the beginning of XVIIth century, Poland-Lithuania continued to dominate Eastern Europe as major power. At this time, legendary Winged Hussars were at their golden age, defeating even thrice more numerous enemy (like at Kircholm against Sweden) with ease. Polish expedition even managed to capture and occupy Moscow during Russian Time of Troubles. Unfortunately with each passing decade, decentralised political system where nobility had more two say than king, began to show signs of rot.
    quote]

Basically the decentralisation process began with the Jagiellon dynasty installation. But it started growing rapidly from the time when Kings were elected.

First sign of weakness was Ruthenian uprising led by Zaporozhian Cossacks, against polonised nobles who exploited local peasantry.

It was series of 3 uprisings and it was more about granting privileges for local "kind of" aristocracy, may call it empty promises. It wasn’t possible to give them what was promised as the polish-lithuanian aristocracy didn’t want to share their privileges.

Unfortunately, Winged Hussars were largely gone, and quality of troops was rather poor.

I know that this is based on the game but historically the troops quality were kept up to date with rest of Europe, biased toward cavalry rather than infantry. The problem was again decentralisation and lack of direct King's control over the army. Most of the "divisions" belonged to rich aristocracy and they rarely support king's policies. And king himself wasn’t able to support many units due to the low tax incomes.
    BTW, hussars were still there, but only small number served as representative formation, e.g. funerals

Well, all the best with writing AAR. Was thinking about one too, but not much time atm

draconis - Yep, I agree on everything. My description of PLC`s history is just very simplified.

Rzeczpospolita

Chapter III - People of Power

Government officials of August II were representing interests of Szlachta (Nobility), and as such weren`t widely popular among common masses.

King August earned his nickname 'the Strong' for a reason, as he was a man of great physical strength. He was also fascinated with military matters, and wanted to increase size of regular forces. Despite those interests, he was also widely known as patron of arts, literature and modern ideas. During his reign Dresden turned into major cultural centre in the Holy Roman Empire. While he was seeking to strengthen royal power, he refused to choose middle and lower classes as his allies. Thus, in country dominated by nobility, his efforts to centralise government were pretty pointless. August had to convert from protestantism to catholicism before he was elected for Polish-Lithuania throne, and as such he wasn`t regarded as a pious man. This opportunistic move was badly received in Saxony, and other protestant countries.

Head of government, Stanisław Lubomirski, represented interests of the nobility. He was a conservative to the bone, refusing any attempts to reform, and wanting to preserve serfdom and leading role of szlachta in the society.

Minister of Treasury, Hieronim Lubomirski, came to his office from the rich magnate family. He was a poor administrator, and his policy was limited to keeping large agricultural estates owned by nobles safe. He didn`t see benefits of industrialisation or extensive trade.

As a result, peasantry and bourgeoisie were mercilessly taxeted, while nobility enjoyed economical freedom. This state of affairs created unrest among lower classes, and decreased growth of Polish-Lithuanian economy.

Jerzy Denhoff, Miniser of Justice, was probably most skilled among royal officials. His harsh methods ensured stability and order, and he was effectively surpassing any aspirations among middle classes to get more power.

Royal Court Hetman Stanisław Jabłonowski, was responsible for the army. Unfortunately, he was unwilling to reform, and he kept Polish-Lithuanian nobility free from military taxes.

Feliks Potocki was a Minister of the Navy in name only, as Poland-Lithuania didn`t posses a single ship, or even a modern shipyard to build one. He was lobbying to change this state of matters, but his old age took away his energy, and the king no longer listened to him.

Size of active Polish-Lithuanian military was average, but quality of troops leaved much to be desired, as they consisted mainly of militia formations.

Grand Crown Hetman, Stanisław Poniatowski, was a patriot and very skilled and brave commander. Loved by his soldiers, he often didn`t hesitate to join heat of battle to boost their morale.

Grand Lithuanian Hetman, Paweł Lempicki, was a young and ambitious commander. He greatly preferred offence over defence, ignoring any benefits that good defensive position can give.

Old Crown Field Hetman, Kazimierz Potocki was highly regarded in the Commonwealth thanks to his performance during Third Polish-Ottoman War of 1683-1699.

One of the great thinkers in PLC was Stanisław Łukasiewicz, who was lecturing modern ideas in Jagiellonian University of Cracow.

Recently, his works centered around Empiricism theory.

Last important person worth of note, was Archbishop of Galicia-Podolia - Zachariasz Wincek. His successful work as a missionary helped to convert Ruthenian peasantry to catholicism, and thus reducing nationalistic sentiment which appeared after Zaporozhian Uprising.

Religious division in year 1700

That`s it for now. Stay tuned for next instalment.
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

A Trashing_Mad AAR, now that's bound to be good. I well remember the grand scale of your ParadoxAARs even if I never replied to them there. I'll certainly be reading this.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

A seperate chapter of History of the White Eagle perchance?
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Khalep - Thanks

Atterdag - No, it`s something completely different. I`ll come back to White Eagle eventually, though I got hard competition in form of great Hugenot AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashing_mad View Post
    No, it`s something completely different. I`ll come back to White Eagle eventually, though I got hard competition in form of great Hugenot AAR.
    i still hope that you'll continue The History of White Eagle!

and of course, continue with this one!

i'll be following this one!

Very nice

Can't wait for more

EDITED

Trashing mad
    Please don't attack Crime at the beginning, and don't change Gdańsk on Królewiec. It's harder and more historic
    Last edited by Salvo; March 14, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Rzeczpospolita

Chapter IV

Summer 1700

King August II

By year 1700, August II the Strong wanted to extend his prestige and power by military means, and the king spotted such opportunity in the east.

Augusts`ally - Russian tsar Peter - lunched an invasion against Crimean Khanate. Even though Crimea was Ottoman protectorate, Turks didn`t send any help to Khan Devlet Giray, as they were still recovering after many bitter defeats of past few years. Thus, August II decided to try and conquer Bakchisaray before Russians, counting that Polish armies will be faster, and that Ottomans will be too weak to react. Most Polish nobles approved such move, hoping to get more estates for themselves in the east. Also, ownership of Black Sea port would mean great strategic advantage, as well as possible trade profits.

By the end of the summer, army of Grand Hetman Stanisław Poniatowski reached borderlands between Podolia and steppes of Crimea.

This was followed by formal declaration of war. Unfortunatelly, to Agustus` dismay, Ottoman sultan Mustafa II decided to defend his ally.

Winter 1700

Despite the threat posed by Ottoman Empire, August ordered hetman Poniatowski to proceed with expedition against Crimea.

At the same time, Field Hetman Kazimierz Potocki was sent with fresh troops to defend Podolia against possible Ottoman raids.

By the end of year, messenger from Copenhagen brought terrible news to Warsaw. King and his officials had to make though decision - risk another war, or alienate their allies..

ActaNonVerba - thanks, I`ll continue White Eagle one day

Salvo - too late about Crimea, but I definitely won`t switch any European provinces.
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Fantastic, keep it up.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Looks really nice!

Foederatus

wow really good, and I loved your white eagle campaign. Good to see paradox people knocking about .

Rzeczpospolita

Chapter V

Summer 1701

Agust II decided to back his allies in war against Sweden. However, he wasn`t very eager to actively support them, and hetman Paweł Lempicki was ordered to just stay in Vilnius with his army. Despite those orders ambitious Grand Lithuanian Hetman set out marching north - into Semigalia - just a striking distance from Riga.

To the south east, hetman Poniatowski lost 'race' to Bakchysaray forestalled by the Russians, who claimed and annexed whole Crimean peninsula.

Thus, last descendant state of Golden Horde disappeared, and Crimean Khanate was no more.

After this failed attempt, Poniatowski was ordered to move into Moldavia. Simultaneously, hetman Potocki entered into Ottoman region from the north-west. Furious about losing Crimean opportunity, August wanted to incorporate Principality of Moldavia into the Commonwealth. He trusted that combined might of his two hetmans would suffice.

Despite king`s self confidence, minister Jerzy Denhoff sent a spy to Iasi, in order to determine size of Turkish military in the region. Unfortunately, his agent never reported back.

In autumn, advance of hetman Kazimierz Potocki was met by evenly matched Ottoman force..

Godless Pickle, tuore, t0m
    - Thank you
    Last edited by thrashing_mad; March 19, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [ETW AAR] Rzeczpospolita - Role Playing AAR

very good stuff. please keep going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast