Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Send a formal complaint to SEGA about STEAM

Default Re: Send a formal complaint to SEGA about STEAM

I'll give you download rates being slow under heavy traffic but

-you don't need to go into offline mode to avoid a patch, you can disable auto updating for individual games
    -installation was not slow with the retail version if you know how to install from disc.It took me 15 minutes.That is faster than most non steam games I own
    -you don't have to install all of your games on one computer.You can put them on any computer you want as long as you have steam and your account logged in on that computer.The info isn't tied to that computer like some other DRMs and there isn't a limit to installs AFAIK
    -why would you want multiple steam accounts? Just change your name in settings

It's a very useful program if you have buddies online.It's xfire + a store

Tobias Rieper's Avatar Civis

Funny how ppl are blaming Steam for the game's bugs. Then why did TW games have bugs before they started using Steam? Cause every TW game since Rome has been buggy at launch.

Many of the douches complaining don't grasp the fact that Steam will help us, by providing a means to quickly produce patches and fix this game up.

But nooo, let's all post biased (and sometimes completely unfounded) rants about those 'big evil enterprises'.

I'm going insane watching this forum. I've been using Steam since Half Life 2 and I have never, NEVER, had major issues, I've played many games, and used many services, Steam beats them all hands-down. Only gaming software which comes close to being that well designed is Xfire, which isn't actually that comparable to Steam (only a community type utility).

Ppl who complain about the necessity for online registration forget that it makes pirating at least somewhat harder (and face it, piracy is a major problem in pc gaming atm) and that alot of other non steam based games also require online registration.

I mean, it's not like it's using Games for Windows Live, now that's a crappy piece of software.

If I accidentaly damage my gamediscs, or I change computer, Steam will ensure I can easiley reïnstall my games. It has a decent and well programmed community system/chatsystem and it has been at the bases of some great games (ie Left 4 Dead). It's a huge boon to the modding and indie game development scene and will ensure I'll get acces to some original games in the future.

Internet is such a common thing these days, that it should be possible to get a connection up during install almost everywhere (and you can play offline anyway). The multiplayer part of the game will become immensely more popular and easy to use than with previous TW games aswell.

If you'd just try and wait untill 2 months from now, CA will have hopefully adressed most of the gamebreaking bugs (which Steam doesn't have anything to do with) and you'll understand why they chose Steam to release their game on.

But I digress, be my guest, keep blinding your eyes from reality and ranting your ass off, that'll help.
    Schild ende Vriend!

Quote Originally Posted by morecowbell View Post
    1) There is an option to disable auto-patching while still being online.
    Ah, ok. Was going by what people were saying here

Quote Originally Posted by skullman86 View Post
    2) Yes, download was slow. Why? becasue ETW launch clashed with UT3 free weekend that tons of people were downloading. Btw, I downloaded ETW at over 500kb/s
    Luckier than most However they should've taken that into account either by arranging for more capacity or by changing either date.

3) If you want your games on D: drive instead of C:, install steam on D:. Easy fix
    Which is nice if you install all games on the same drive. Mine are split over two drives as the first got full and you may well imagine that I have no desire to move gigabyte by gigabyte over untill everything is on one drive just to appease Steam.

4) What account? If it's steam account just make multiple ones and activate the games on different accounts. Why anyone would want to do such a thing? Beats me.
    Because not everyone has their own computer but has to share and not everyone might be willing to share the account. This forces people to either do just that (and thus get the same online thingies) or to buy another copy of the game, something that was not needed in this situation with games that are a bit older.

5) No one forced you to use their web-shop. A game bought in your local gameshop can still be played.
    It's encouraged. I like the webshop

6) No one forced you to use their chat system.
    But it's encouraged, integrated, extra bloat that I have no desire for. I don't mind that much, but it seems double standards are being used when Steam puts all this in as market leader and that Microsoft puts their stuff in as market leader. Not really bad besides that.

7) I don't see how Steam giving you the patches as soon as possible is a problem.
    For the same reason that forcing patches on windows might be a problem, you don't have the time. Do not wish to apply the patch due to issues or a number of other reasons.

-you don't need to go into offline mode to avoid a patch, you can disable auto updating for individual games
    See above, this also solves the previous point

-installation was not slow with the retail version if you know how to install from disc.It took me 15 minutes.That is faster than most non steam games I own
    If you know how to install from disc, should you really require additional knowledge for that? It's not clear to me if this was a Sega issue or a Steam issue though :p

-you don't have to install all of your games on one computer.You can put them on any computer you want as long as you have steam and your account logged in on that computer.The info isn't tied to that computer like some other DRMs and there isn't a limit to installs AFAIK
    See above

-why would you want multiple steam accounts? Just change your name in settings
    See above

That these are not valid reasons for you, doesn't mean they don't apply to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Rieper View Post
    Funny how ppl are blaming Steam for the game's bugs. Then why did TW games have bugs before they started using Steam? Cause every TW game since Rome has been buggy at launch.

Many of the douches complaining don't grasp the fact that Steam will help us, by providing a means to quickly produce patches and fix this game up.

But nooo, let's all post biased (and sometimes completely unfounded) rants about those 'big evil enterprises'.

I'm going insane watching this forum. I've been using Steam since Half Life 2 and I have never, NEVER, had major issues, I've played many games, and used many services, Steam beats them all hands-down. Only gaming software which comes close to being that well designed is Xfire, which isn't actually that comparable to Steam (only a community type utility).

Ppl who complain about the necessity for online registration forget that it makes pirating at least somewhat harder (and face it, piracy is a major problem in pc gaming atm) and that alot of other non steam based games also require online registration.

I mean, it's not like it's using Games for Windows Live, now that's a crappy piece of software.

If I accidentaly damage my gamediscs, or I change computer, Steam will ensure I can easiley reïnstall my games. It has a decent and well programmed community system/chatsystem and it has been at the bases of some great games (ie Left 4 Dead). It's a huge boon to the modding and indie game development scene and will ensure I'll get acces to some original games in the future.

Internet is such a common thing these days, that it should be possible to get a connection up during install almost everywhere (and you can play offline anyway). The multiplayer part of the game will become immensely more popular and easy to use than with previous TW games aswell.

If you'd just try and wait untill 2 months from now, CA will have hopefully adressed most of the gamebreaking bugs (which Steam doesn't have anything to do with) and you'll understand why they chose Steam to release their game on.

But I digress, be my guest, keep blinding your eyes from reality and ranting your ass off, that'll help.
    I do apologise for the short response but my bed is calling to me

1. Steam *is* in large part responsible for initial installation issues and for a lot of people this was the first time interaction.
    2. It does not make piracy harder, an illegal version was available for download and could likely be obtained faster than the legal version through Steam.

We'll see how it goes in the future, my personal experience with Steam hasn't been half as bad as other people had bu a "yea sorry it's absolute now, give us 8-12 weeks to patch things up so it might be a good thing Steam is used" is simply no way to do business
    Last edited by Mephisteus; March 11, 2009 at 06:45 PM.

not my quotes D:

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by metenojo View Post
    This is not a game,is a complete disaster,many people said,after demo and before game sorts,that steam will cause many problems,and they are correct,thousands of complains seems dont change the SEGA opinion about steam.
    And why do they use another game editor to launch and deal with their own game?
    To fight the piracy?They failed.To improve the customers satisfaction?They failed by far.To future sell CA to Valve? For sure.But after this disaster I dont pronunce new clients to future TW games,but olders who will never trust in CA again,and CA are just the developers,they are the less guity ones in this all big mess.

Sega sells Ca to Valve?

Quote Originally Posted by pajomife@iol.pt View Post
    Sega sells Ca to Valve?
    Well if it went to Valve it would be in good hands. All of their games are class and released with little bugs but they havn't been proven themselves with an RTS genre game.

Would be interesting that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by metenojo View Post
    This is not a game,is a complete disaster,many people said,after demo and before game sorts,that steam will cause many problems,and they are correct,thousands of complains seems dont change the SEGA opinion about steam.
    And why do they use another game editor to launch and deal with their own game?
    To fight the piracy?They failed.To improve the customers satisfaction?They failed by far.To future sell CA to Valve? For sure.But after this disaster I dont pronunce new clients to future TW games,but olders who will never trust in CA again,and CA are just the developers,they are the less guity ones in this all big mess.
    Oh my god, someone need to learn how to use the space button after dot and comma..

And steam has given me ZERO problems, and if you get slow speeds.. then CHANGE your download location in - SETTINGS - DOWNLOADS!
    Simple.

It's not Steams fault, it's the developers. And if you disagree it's the developers fault anyway with using Steam.

I have used Steam for many years with many games and no problems. This is unusual and very irresponsible of the developer.

How can you blame Steam, "CA release a terribly unfinished product" stop there.

that's where it ends.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

I've sent a formal complaint by not buying the game. And I won't buy it either. Because Steam is a game-nanny. If Steam is the way of the future for gaming then I'll be switching off. No great loss.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Hamshank View Post
    How can you blame Steam, "CA release a terribly unfinished product" stop there.

that's where it ends.
    I'm not blaming steam...I'm saying steam was insult to injury.
    Learn to read.
    AVOID EMPIRE TW LIKE THE PLAGUE
    SAVE YOUR MONEY, BUY SOMETHING BETTER

MPMFV's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Rieper View Post
    If you'd just try and wait untill 2 months from now, CA will have hopefully adressed most of the gamebreaking bugs...
    No right minded, hard working person would put up with waiting two months for a $50.00 game to work. Excuse me, "hopefully" work.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I don't like the idea of Steam. I have voiced my reservations on another site when it was announced.

So far, Steam has given me no real problems that I can't solve with experience and/or a little investigating on my own.

I'll take these little updates a piece at a time rather than sittng around watching tv while downloading 800mb six months after the game's released. Remember Medieval2's 1.2 update and all its own problems to get it to install and may or may not work?

Caught between Steam and Securom, for now I'll take Steam.

I must say I am surprised at all this anti-Steam sentiment.

If your game is not working for whatever reason, you have my sympathy, but I have found Steam to be a pretty good service over the years.

More worrying is the buggy state of the game, but coming from a string of bug-ridden MMOs, where the game was not even complete, I can be patient.

This game is very ambitious; allow it time to mature.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by MrMT View Post

This game is very ambitious; allow it time to mature.
    We shouldn't have to. We paid them to create a good game...they failed.

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    We shouldn't have to. We paid them to create a good game...they failed.
    If what you are saying is it's a game problem, why are you blaming Steam? Steam is only supplying a service per Sega's instructions. Sega is the one setting completion date, sale date, price, etc. You need to take your rant to Sega, not Steam.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    If what you are saying is it's a game problem, why are you blaming Steam? Steam is only supplying a service per Sega's instructions. Sega is the one setting completion date, sale date, price, etc. You need to take your rant to Sega, not Steam.
    My post was a direct reply to someone elses, so not exactly on topic.
    I hate steam because their service is terrible, the whole idea of using steam is pointless and the whole "oh but it stops piracy" argument I keep hearing is bull****. Steam does NOT stop piracy. Hence there is no need to for it. Why use steam in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    My post was a direct reply to someone elses, so not exactly on topic.
    I hate steam because their service is terrible, the whole idea of using steam is pointless and the whole "oh but it stops piracy" argument I keep hearing is bull****. Steam does NOT stop piracy. Hence there is no need to for it. Why use steam in the first place?
    The best copy protection out there will never stop piracy, just slow it down.

I am not a programmer, but the company I worked 19 years had many programmers and they could reverse engineer it if they were so inclined but they wouldn't do it for professional reasons. One guy had every game I did and all bought and paid for just like me.

It's not just Sega's games. It's Electronic Arts and Blizzard for two more. Sega's not going to rewrite it and take a loss on the money they already paid Valve to use Steam.

Their attitude is,"If you don't like there is the door. Just don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out." They have enough committed fans they aren't worried about your rants.

If some want steam, then that should be a personal choice, it's only made my life a living hell, even considered taking the game back because of it. I know I will never buy another TW game that's released through steam. period. If people want it, then they should make that decision on their own, but for the life of me I can't understand why, but to force it upon the rest of us is just plan bad for business. What where they thinking.

Steam is flat out the worst thing that's happened to the total war series yet. Sure their are a few bugs, but that's piecemeal compared to the headache I still have over steam on a game I paid good money for.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    The best copy protection out there will never stop piracy, just slow it down.

I am not a programmer, but the company I worked 19 years had many programmers and they could reverse engineer it if they were so inclined but they wouldn't do it for professional reasons. One guy had every game I did and all bought and paid for just like me.

It's not just Sega's games. It's Electronic Arts and Blizzard for two more. Sega's not going to rewrite it and take a loss on the money they already paid Valve to use Steam.

Their attitude is,"If you don't like there is the door. Just don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out." They have enough committed fans they aren't worried about your rants.
    Wow, there's a business plan, don't let the door hit you... You really think they want to ruin a franchises fan base over some abstract loyalty to steam, as a long time TW player, I certainly hope not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast