Thread: Chain-shot: How much would a ship carry?

Default Chain-shot: How much would a ship carry?

After being totally destroyed by unending volleys of chain shot in-game, I started to wonder: Just how much of these specialized rounds did a ship carry?

Obviously, I assume the main ammunition was the standard solid ball round. I have to assume that chain was only available in limited quantity. Would a, say, 1st or 2nd rate ship-of-the-line carry enough chain shot for 5-10 volleys of fire from it's 100+ guns?

Default Re: Chain-shot: How much would a ship carry?

Oh so know you want some kind of ammunition-bar for ships?
    Intel 3.2 I7 Extreme6 GB DDR3 RAMSapphire Radeon x2 2GBAsus Pt Deluxe

British Empire: Total Inaccuracy
    All historical units belong to us!

Well, if it's historical then yes. It might also make boarding a neccecary tactic in extended battles. In previous Total War games artillery and such had limited ammo per-battle, I'm not sure why it doesn't now.

In the Danish navy IIRC, late-century standard ammo load for a ship of the line was 40 roundshot per gun, which should be pretty standard across the board as the design contraints were much the same for all designers. Chain was a pretty specialized munition so there would not have been nearly as much.

That's what I thought. I can see having unlimited roundshot for gameplay purposes but a limited number of chainshot (and maybe grapeshot) vollies woud be nice.