Thread: Unit Idea

Default Unit Idea

DISEMBARKED MARINES

Just a thought. Being a Marine, I'm aware that ships companies of Marines were sent along with a landing force as additional infantry or even as cannon crews. Huston had them along in Texas, they played a big role at New Orleans, etc. etc. I do have research material, I just have neglected this period in my historical curiosities.

Maybe like regular line infantry but somewhat less troops. But much much better accuracy, more ammo, mcuh better melee and much much higher morale!

When small men attempt great enterprises, they always end by reducing them to the level of their mediocrity.
    * Napoleon I

Default Re: Unit Idea

Suprised this isnt in the game !

Tried modding these in myself (mainly for the British) but cannot get it to work for some reason - anyne fancy taking it on ?

I think the British marines would be a great addition to the troop list, they featured in some pretty decent scraps, it'd be cool to have them in the game.

Ideas were along the lines of :

Maritime Regiment of Foot (British marines were not 'Royal' Marines until 1802) - perhaps kill the old units off and replace them with 'royal' marines at the correct date ? (can this be done, it looks as if units can be killed off)

Make them limited numbers ? Wonder if this is possible to only have xx number of units in play at any time ?

Make them recruitable in Navy docks, I think that would be a neat touch to be honest if again it is possible.

I can do the stats and get some sources for the skins if needed.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

I had this request recently and I am currently in the process of adding marine units to some factions.

I am testing now to see if I can make certain naval buildings outside of the city required for building them, like a Dockyard.

---

I will have marines added in one of my near-future releases. Watch out!

---

And yes, you can make them recruit as different names, maybe not by year, but by goverment type. Only a small step to find out how to bind it to year once scripting is available. You can also limit their numbers.

Midknight; I am looking for someone to do re-texturing for me (and I will need source info for them) so look over my mod and see if you are interested.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; March 30, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I'll try your mod soon - it looks pretty good.
    I have a fair amount of info on the Royal Marines - I'll grab some uniform pictures as soon as I can.

They need Continental/ US Marines too. And they need the correct uniforms (green not blue!).
    -McMoose

MacLachlainn
    Fortis et fidus

Made them for Britain, France, Spain and the United Provinces so far.

I need to make new unit cards and decide on what building I am going to require for them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Soopah
    Thats the ship skin isn't it ? They look like beef eaters, hats are totally wrong
    To be fair they should be 95% close to the normal line infantry dress.

Here's a good link :
    http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/dis...eproID=F2183-1

This is a better one though :
    http://www.jenwilletts.com/royal%20marineAVA.jpg

Facings would have been white pre 1802 before the Corps was designated Royal Marines, when they changed to blue facings to denote a Royal regiment.

Although on ship they mostly ditched their red coats to fight in similar order to their RN comrades (blue white check shirt) - I'd just give them the line infantry skin/model and then play with that later.

I'll dig around and see if I can find a more fitting model!

As for buildings - if you can do them for Naval bases then great.

Their specs need to be pretty high compared to normal troops as well with regards to their almost unbreakable morale, hand to hand fighting, stamina and so on. The amount that can be recruited needs to be fairly low if possible as well.

I think simply calling them 'Marines' is fine - their regiment is 'Maritime Regiment of foot' which of course all changed in 1802.
    Last edited by Midknight; March 31, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

As I have them now;

They are grenade armed heavy melee troops that fire muskets before closing with a sabre charge and grenade volley.

High morale, elite status, good stamina.

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

wow, great units l33tl4m3r

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Hmmm for British marines they wouldn't have sabres - they would be boyonets
    Nor with the hand grenades me thinks.

Marines were shock troops, their prmary role was on board ships but when running ashore they would have been more like normal/light infantry - their strengths were in their drill/discipline/morale and their fitness which allowed them to turn many battles - they would have been equipped similarly to normal British army soldiers (ie fairly well). I would have them similar to normal line/light infantry - ring bayonet and so on but increase their accuracy slightly (they were snipers effectivly on ship-ship duties) and increase their hand-to-hand combat score significantly. They should also be almost unbreakable even in the midst of other elite units - thats their strength, their loyalty and sense of duty was (is) extremely high, they were used on ships to maintain order as well.

As I say I can only speak for the Brits really

LOL how cool would it be to have 'life on the ocean wave' as their marching tune !!?

Well, as I see a need to differentiate between the marine units, I will start working on creating non-clones for the marines for each faction. Major thanks for the continued info Midknight!

Anyone have any info for other nations and marines?

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    Well, as I see a need to differentiate between the marine units, I will start working on creating non-clones for the marines for each faction. Major thanks for the continued info Midknight!

Anyone have any info for other nations and marines?
    Continental Marines/ Early US Marines wore "medium-green coats (same style as line infantry in the game) with white-buff facings, and black gaiters... officers are to wear black cocked (three-cornered) hats... enlisted are to wear round hats (much like the marine hats currently in the game) with the brim turned up on one side." These are some of the exact regulations given by the continental congress during the American Revolution. They used smooth bores and only officers had sabers, enlisted used bayonets. They did sometimes use grenades but usually they didn't. USMC regiments helped to bolster Washington's Army when they needed more men. They played roles in many land battles because of this.
    -McMoose

MacLachlainn
    Fortis et fidus

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Make them recruitable in ports .

Quote Originally Posted by stefaneke View Post
    Make them recruitable in ports .
    I've tried;

The problem is, the navy recruitment queues and land recruitment queues are seperate parts of the map. So I can assign a marine to a dockyard recruitment, but in game, I am not able to actually recruit them even though they show up in the recruitment queue. Not even a general on the campaign map can recruit them, they do not select and would not be able to walk out of the dock if they could.

I think once CA fixes naval invasions, and troops become "aware" of the ocean and the navy becomes "aware" of the land, I might be able to make them recruitable from dockyards and the like.

---

McMoose77 -- like this?
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; April 01, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    McMoose77 -- like this?
    Perfect
    -McMoose

MacLachlainn
    Fortis et fidus