Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Line Infantry (compare)

Icon2 Line Infantry (compare)

Maybe somebody wanted to see such a compare between the line infantry of major nations in game, so here it is:

All other line infantry (early)

IR=Irish line infantry
    ETR=Etrangere line infantry
    --------------------------------------
    As everybody know british guys were always a land power, Al Alamein was the greatest battle in WW2, Montgomery best general of WW2, Wellington was best general of napoleonic(!) era, 85% of german troops were defeatet by UK with their colonies and british infantry best ever.

Laetus

Default Re: Line Infantry (compare)

Where is Sweden?

Sweden isnt a major nation? I feel insulted

As everybody know british guys were always a land power, Al Alamein was the greatest battle in WW2, Montgomery best general of WW2, Wellington was best general of napoleonic(!) era, 85% of german troops were defeatet by UK with their colonies and british infantry best ever.
    This is a joke right?:p

Prussia looks pretty good all around.

well, british infantry was superior at that time simply for the reason that they were a professional army compared to the draft armies most other nations had.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    This is a joke right?:p
    Must be.
    Had a good laugh.

El Alamain, the pinnacle of infantry warfare, where the loser was only outnumbered 2:1?

Anyway: Interesting to see, that the British infantry is modelled as the best infantry, with the French following close behind. Not that it matters too much, since numbers and tactics win the day, but interesting nonetheless. Poor Russians.

Let me take a guess, CA is brittish.
    They close my modication thread DWWTW ='( please help evryone.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by InfUA View Post
    You forget the 18th century. Washington. Ohhh sorry was American. Uups the british lost there, sorry. Back to WWII: Total War and heroic british heros.

Nice list. The Austrian have more soldiers? :hmmm:Never saw that. Cool!
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Valbruch's Avatar Ordinarius

Exactly what I was looking for. +rep
    We are the Brunnen-G,
    we're waiting to die.
    We celebrate the death
    that will fall from the sky.

well, british infantry was superior at that time simply for the reason that they were a professional army compared to the draft armies most other nations had.

Thats bullox. Prussia. britain were not anything more special than anyone else. or you call the strictly disciplined army of prussia a draft army? (though they did have a PARTIAL conscription, but thats beside the normal army), or Charles XII's Indelningsverk?. basically ALL european forces had professional armies at this time, but many were added on, Drafted by force. its true britain diddnt have any drated soliders in the era, but thats because they nly sent their expeditionary forces, exclusiveley form the professional army. since britain is an island, the need of drafting for the army in war was unessecary, the army couldnt defen britain, that was the navys job.

notger's Avatar Decanus

There are a number myths that never seem to die.

One of them is the superiority of british infantry, which knows several variants, from the Welsh Longbows, to the Crusader Knights to Wellington and the Redcoats. As a matter of fact, I do not care. Mods will come out with their own views on that, which might or not be more correct. Most important is, that we enjoy the game and I still enjoy the game with a little bit of british CA-patriotism in it.

(Thanks joedreck (+rep), I liked the point about them ragged uncivilized colonists winning. )

I'm pretty sure that Britain was given the best infantry in the game because of their situation rather than any true historical reason. Most of their activity is in the USA and India, where they can only produce Colonial and Company infantry which are standard among all the European powers. If the infantry that they made in England wasn't extremely superior to them, why would anybody ever make troops in England and ship them over, considering how many turns it takes for them to get anywhere? It takes 8 or so turns to make an army in England, load them up, and sail them to America, and there's the risk of being intercepted. There has to be some payoff to going through all that trouble rather than just recruiting colonials. The only problem is that CA didn't seem to consider the possibility of Britain getting involved in mainland Europe.

How much difference does a point or two make? I was interested to see how much musket accuracy suffers for the Russians in exchange for their charge bonus, but without knowing how much this matters it's difficult to judge. It seems like researched upgrades will make a greater difference for the most part than the inherent differences among these armies' line infantry units. It doesn't seem like the Prussians and British have to pay all that much more for noticeably superior troops, though.

If it isn't too much trouble (I'd do it but I'm at work!) a line on initial recruitment costs would be useful. That and a better idea of how the numbers actually reflect unit capability would go a ways toward figuring out if (as it appears from this chart) the Prussians and British are getting more bang for their buck than, say, the Russians, and probably everyone else. Though it'd be fair also to note that infantry should not be looked at in isolation - just part of the broader context.

What this chart highlights to me is that there are embedded strategic choices here - Russia chose to emphasize the bayonet charge over musket fire (which I find authentic), for example. It's a bit of a shame that as leaders of our respective great powers we don't have the ability to directly choose which trade-offs are being made.

Great Britain is best I think... i thought that best will be Prussia or France...
    Please excuse my English, I am from Czech republic.

I quess the real truth lies in the history......the british did defeat the French under Napoleon and his generals over and over......I know other nations provided troops, but all accounts of battle, especially Waterloo; speak of the British standing firm, and sometimes even standing behind other nations troops just to keep them from sneaking away from battle. So, I would have to say the British were the dominate force. Reasons can be debated, but they did something right. And as for the colonials v. Redcoats this was really just British tactics and training fighting British tactics an training.....

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Nice list, plust rep.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    And a professional army is much more expensive... but looking at the upkeep this is clearly not the case.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Quote Originally Posted by InfUA View Post
    Nice joke.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast