Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Every time I see Jane Fonda on TV...

...I wonder if she's ever given any thought to how merciful Nixon was to her. Because if it had been Lincoln, Wilson or FDR in charge, she would've gotten the noose.

Just my thought for the day.

Semisalis

What a coincidence I'm watching an interview with her on HBO right now.

But personally, It was her crackpot choice to support the North Vietnamese.
    Technocally, what she did during Vietnam can be interpreted as Treason
    In ethical theory, I should care. I know that I should care. However, emotionally, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn.
    --Darth Wong

Not technically, more like "was" treason. I wasn't alive during that time, so I cannot say much about the attitudes of people. But people had the right (somewhat) to protest their dislike of the war, and people should, always. But to actively go and aid the enemy...that's treason.

Every time I see Jane Fonda on TV...

I get nausious, and change channels. :sick

She apologized for sitting in the Flak Cannon in North Korea. But she never apologized for handing secret notes from US POW to the North Veitnamese prison guards.

For that, she will never be forgiven.

She's a traitor, through and through.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

I like her butt...

Butt anyways, there was a story on CNN.com, she was spat on by some man at a signing. It mentioned the NV thing.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Yeah, ol' Hanoi Jane kinda reminds me of Patty Hearst lol. I dont know why but when I think of one I always think of the other.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/hearst/

"And I have felt the sudden blow of a nameless wind's cold breath,
    And watched the grisly pilgrims go that walk the roads of Death,
    And I have seen black valleys gape, abysses in the gloom,
    And I have fought the deathless Ape that guards the Doors of Doom."
    -Robert E. Howard "Recompense"

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Everytime I see her I think of Barbarella....

Who cares what her politics are or were ... she was smokin'

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

She aquitted herself well on Bill Maher's earthday episode. Not easy considering the line of questions she had to deal with. Was she a traitor? I don't know what the evidence about passing notes is, and that was not raised on the show. Whatever she did then, I thought she represented feminist Christians pretty well tonight. She also made bridges with her criticizers well, and lastly, gave a pretty good soundbyte when asked to draw parallels between the Vietnam war and Iraq. I didn't realize she was quite so clever.

I had no reason to love or hate her going into the show because I have otherwise always ignored her.

-S

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

Semisalis

Lord Alameda Posted: Apr 22 2005, 09:21 PM

Every time I see Jane Fonda on TV...

I get nausious, and change channels.

She apologized for sitting in the Flak Cannon in North Korea. But she never apologized for handing secret notes from US POW to the North Veitnamese prison guards.

For that, she will never be forgiven.

She's a traitor, through and through.

This post has been edited by Lord Alameda on Apr 22 2005, 09:23 PM

--------------------
    Damn, I Didn't know that, in my old country they would of have her gettin raped in a prison cell awaiting a firing squad
    In ethical theory, I should care. I know that I should care. However, emotionally, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn.
    --Darth Wong

Originally posted by Da Skinna@Apr 22 2005, 08:21 PM
    I like her butt...

Butt anyways, there was a story on CNN.com, she was spat on by some man at a signing. It mentioned the NV thing.
    Jane Fonda deserves much worse than a simple spitting upon.
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

hormiga's Avatar Senator

I bet everyone in this thread is way to young to have been around or have any real issue with what she did you all are talking out your arses.

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 22 2005, 10:15 PM
    I bet everyone in this thread is way to young to have been around or have any real issue with what she did you all are talking out your arses.
    Hey, I'm just relating what I saw on the tube based on my experience. I didn't need my arse to do it either. I've seen bad people defend themselves well, and good people shot down easily. What's with the hostility? Add to the conversation my fellow bio-punk.

-S

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

hormiga's Avatar Senator

The facts according to snopes:
    http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

Never passsed info from soldiers to the NV government. I dont agree with what she did but I dont think she should be vilified for opposing the war. It's a free country and people have the right to be idiots if they want to, no reason to have knee jerk reactions and condem people for life..

i was just about to post the same link
    it's a great site

that story isn't true

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 23 2005, 12:24 AM
    The facts according to snopes:
    http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

Never passsed info from soldiers to the NV government. I dont agree with what she did but I dont think she should be vilified for opposing the war. It's a free country and people have the right to be idiots if they want to, no reason to have knee jerk reactions and condem people for life..
    I would have agreed with you if all she did was protest in Washington, thats acceptable. However going to the enemy and making propaganda films is aid and comfort to them in. In the past she probably would have been shot for it on her return to the states. I think Nixon should have gotten her citizenship revoked and made her live in North Vietnam for a couple of years.

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 22 2005, 10:09 PM
    Who cares what her politics are or were ... she was smokin'
    The U.S. POWs in Hanoi who underwent extra torture directly because of her care.

That's who cares. :angry

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 22 2005, 10:15 PM
    I bet everyone in this thread is way to young to have been around* or have any real issue with what she did you all are talking out your arses.
    My father was shot down by a S.A.M. (appearantly 17 missles were sent his way) somewhwere over North Vietnam in 1968. I was born 3 months later. I was 4 in 1973, when my father came home from Vietnam. It was the 1st time he had ever seen me. :sad
    He was finally released from the Hanoi Hilton after years of torture. :angry
    (He was a U.S. Naval Pilot)

Carefull with your ASSumptions there mate. :getlost

If Americans are qualified to discuss Benidict Arnold and his traitor status, hell, at least Fonda is still alive. AND TRYING TO SELL A BOOK BTW!!!!

She's only showing contrition to sell a book. That's sick.

She's a traitor. Truth be known, however, I still don't think it was right for that vet to spit on her. I understand his motivation and anger,but spitting on her was wrong. Voice your opinions, excersise your 1st amendment rights. Don't buy her book. That's how we achieve justice.

(EDITED TO TONE DOWN MY ORIGINAL POST...but I was never mad at you hormiga, just Hanoi Jane)

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Lord Alameda@Apr 23 2005, 12:56 AM
    The U.S. POWs in Hanoi who underwent extra torture directly because of her care.

Read my link, that is totally false, no noe got extra torture due to her being there.

My father was shot down by a S.A.M. (appearantly 17 missles were sent his way) somewhwere over North Vietnam in 1968. I was born 3 months later. I was 4 in 1973, when my father came home from Vietnam. It was the 1st time he had ever seen me. sad.gif
    He was finally released from the Hanoi Hilton after years of torture.
    That really sucks, alot of people lost loved ones in that war but was it Fonda's fault? No she didnt start the war and the most support she gave was for a propaganda film.

from snopes:
    Jane Fonda provided no tangible military assistance to the North Vietnamese: she divulged no military secrets, she gave them no money or material, and she did not interfere with the operations of the American forces. Her actions, offensive as they were to many, were primarily of propaganda value only.

Like I said I DONT AGREEE WITH WHAT SHE DID, however she has the right to do whatever she likes as far as who she supports or how she talks. That is called freedom of speech and saying she should be shot or thrown in jail would go against the grain of what the US stands for.

Originally posted by hormiga+Apr 23 2005, 06:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (hormiga &#064; Apr 23 2005, 06:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Read my link, that is totally false, no noe got extra torture due to her being there.[/b]

I know 2nd hand that that site isn&#39;t 100% accurate.
    However this line from that site makes my case just as easily.
    It states:
    To add insult to injury, when American POWs finally began to return home (some of them having been held captive for up to nine years) and describe the tortures they had endured at the hands of the North Vietnamese, Jane Fonda quickly told the country that they should "not hail the POWs as heroes, because they are hypocrites and liars."

This is the type of crap they would throw in my Dad&#39;s face while trying to get him to declare himself a war criminal and a liar. "The Americans have abandoned you...it&#39;s ok, you can tell us the truth now." WHACK&#33;
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 23 2005, 06:54 AM
    That really sucks, alot of people lost loved ones in that war but was it Fonda&#39;s fault? No she didnt start the war and the most support she gave was for a propaganda film.
    Two things here. One, yes many lost loved ones, we were lucky in that regard. However I only mentioned my family&#39;s experience because you directly stated that "noone here really had any vested interest or connection", or something to that effect. I took exception to that statement, obviously.

The other thing is, again, "the most support she gave was for a propaganda film". She was no better than Tokyo Rose in WW2. She gave aide and comfort to the enemy. Plain and Simple. This is a war tactic. Propaganda, and she was on thier side. She, and others like her (cough, John Kerry, cough) emboldended the enemy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 23 2005, 06:54 AM
    from snopes:
    Her actions...were primarily of propaganda value only.
    Do I need to reiterate how propaganda for the enemy is the same as lending aide and comfort? I think we&#39;ve covered that.
    <!--QuoteBegin-hormiga
    @Apr 23 2005, 06:54 AM
    saying she should be shot or thrown in jail would go against the grain of what the US stands for.
    [/quote]

I never once said that, in fact, I said that vet shouldn&#39;t have even spit on her. I&#39;ll assume you were talking to someone else there.

Where are you from hormiga, I&#39;m curious if you are American or not.

Sorta sheds light on perspectives.

More later,

Al.

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Lord Alameda@Apr 23 2005, 01:29 PM
    Two things here. One, yes many lost loved ones, we were lucky in that regard. However I only mentioned my family&#39;s experience because you directly stated that "noone here really had any vested interest or connection", or something to that effect. I took exception to that statement, obviously.

It still stands that she didnt turn over any information from the POWs to the NVA. In fact snopes (assuming it is true) states that she brought letters from the POWs back to the USA. The statement I made about people talking out their asses wasnt directed at you personally (or anyone), I just hate to see people get wrapped around an axel and turn into uber patriots about things that have been blown way out of proportion as the years have gone by.

Ive been in the military and it is a thankless job, it always has been and probably always will be, I dont give a damn if Jane Fonda or Michael Moore or whoever wants to make an arse of themselves.

I never once said that, in fact, I said that vet shouldn&#39;t have even spit on her. I&#39;ll assume you were talking to someone else there.
    Yes you were civil but others were making silly comments. Your opinion is fine and I m not holding it against you, avoid her or dont buy her book, you certainly have more reason to dislike her than someone that saw a 5 minute snipit on the news. If I had family that were POWs I would probably feel diferently too.

Where are you from hormiga, I&#39;m curious if you are American or not.
    American, born in California and live in Alabama. 4 years in the Navy and hopefully going back in soon as an officer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast