Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latin Voicemod pack 1.0

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Latin Voicemod pack 1.0

Category: Mods

Compatibility: Rome: Total War

Screenshot:

Description:

This modification was worked on by translating battlecommands, with a few inspiriations from Maurice's "Strategikon", though we noticed quite a few grammatical errors, so we decided to use the Strategikon as an inspiration to the few commands it entailed, but with corrected latin.
    For most of the commands, we've simply translated, using proper classical latin syntax, grammar and vocabulary.

Translators that were key to this were Reservoir_Frog and Teleklos Archelaou
    I thank them for their meticulous checking and rechecking.

I did the voice recording myself. I guess I couldn't find anyone who were willing to waste as much time as I was.

I've not done the battle-events yet (such as "the day is ours!" or "we have captured enemy gates")
    Nor have I done the unit-names (such as "Creeshn Arshers" or "Tree-ah-ree-aye")

The voice-orders are all there however, of which I produced 275 unique ones.

Unit-name-sounds (tailored for Europa Barbarorum) will be included in Latin Voicemod 2.0
    Battle-events-sounds will be in Latin Voicemod 3.0.

This installer is very userfriendly. It autodetects where your RTW is installed, it also makes backups of any files that are altered. It includes an uninstaller as well, so you can return to the original state.

Special thanks to Reservoir_Frog and Teleklos Archelaou for their meticulous crutiny of the latin commands, helping to improve syntax and grammar .

Very special thanks to Vercingetorix who helped with:
    a) creating and perfecting a program for extracting and archiving the idx/dat files
    b) creating an installer for voicemod
    c) testing stuff out, making me aware of the EAX2 problem which we fixed

Frequently Asked Questions (and answers)

Q: Are there subtitles included?
    A: Nope. You can't have subtitles for commands.

Q: I will get confused. How can I understand anything?
    A: You would like to have double feedback. Audio and visual. The audio-feedback is the thing which will be alien at first, but you will eventually get used to it. You still have visual cues on from the beginning. Small stuff like the two arrows on the unit-cards which tell you they are running, or the forest-icon telling you they are hidden, or the icon for "under attack".
    In the end, you'll survive. It's only a game. I just wanted to make the game more atmospheric. Besides, this was never a complaint I heard when people were playing Medieval or Shogun, so I don't know why it suddenly applies now.

Q: How do I know what orders I've just given?
    A: If you don't remember what orders you just gave 2 seconds ago with your mouse/keyboard, then one might wonder what you are doing playing a strategy game. You need to be aware of what you yourself are doing.

In the end, it's a simple choice. Either install it, or dont. Don't come asking me for arguments for why you should be getting my mod. I made this mod as a way to increase the atmosphere in the game which was a personal wish of mine. I happened to be the one who bothered to produce it. And no, I don't love my voice, it's just that I don't have any qualms or problems hearing my voice in the game. It doesn't sound exactly the same anyway, I did augment it on many occasions. Both up and down.

You can install it and try it, then you can uninstall it if you dont want it.
    The uninstaller is located in the Start menu -> Programs

Have fun!

View This Mod
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

It's great, but how can I make them louder? When they give an order you can barely hear it in a battle :mellow
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

jared_simmons

Originally posted by Prof@Apr 23 2005, 05:55 AM
    It&#39;s great, but how can I make them louder? When they give an order you can barely hear it in a battle :mellow
    Yes the sounds are great but not very loud

you can go to the menu options an change the volume levels I think turning the music down helps the most I don&#39;t know if you can do this from the campaign menu but I know you can from the Main Menu

Indeed, just put &#39;music&#39; and &#39;ambient&#39; on 60 or so, and turn your speakers a bit louder.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Thanks. Yeah, they were initially louder, normalized at same levels as Vanilla at -2.5 db, but I later set the volumes down because I thought it sounded unrealistic, like a megaphone.

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Great&#33; Thanks for bringing this added level of realism to R:TW.

First thing that annoyed me once I got the game was that the Romans wheren&#39;t issuing latin commands. It was like a really bad Hollywood war movie where Germans and Soviets speak English. I no more have to suffer&#33;

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

have you noticed any problems with any mods? Also, what files does it edit......really, does it edit the music files.
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

I play it with the SPQR Mod and don&#39;t have any problems.

will you release voicepacks like that for the other factions too?
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

I will. Though I won&#39;t be the one actually producing them... I&#39;ll probably be the guy who finishes things up.

Orb's Avatar Tiro

Shigawire

I&#39;d just like to say a big thankyou&#33; This mod gives RTW (Well at least romans for the moment) more depth and realism.

Keep up the hardwork, we all appreciate it&#33; :happy

Looking forward to V2 :w00t :grin :w00t

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis

This Mod Is Just so Great that was missing when i played romans (H)
    could it be done with greeks also ? that would rock my socks offf

GREAT SUPERB MAGNIFICENT JOB&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

(I Think i speak for all of the forum we all thank every one that makes all of this possible )

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man

Great work&#33; Bravo&#33;

Just one - though serious - mistake. The sound is very low. But you cannot just turn up the volume, &#39;coz vanilla sounds will be too loud. Actually I almost didn&#39;t hear new commands in battle. Hope you&#39;ll fix it.

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis

just change your settings to speech 100% en music like 60% and it wil be fine

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man

I made it lower because I thought it sounded too loud in vanilla. I made this for more realism, so there&#39;s less of a megaphone-factor.
    At least that&#39;s what I feel. I want to hear their voices clearly when I&#39;m CLOSE to them, but not when the camera is 30 meters up.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

So why not put them at the normalized level and allow the end-user to set the overall speech volume?

-Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

dunno.. lazy maybe :sick

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Any way to get this to work with RTR 5.4?

jared_simmons

Originally posted by Wolfgrin@May 7 2005, 10:21 AM
    Any way to get this to work with RTR 5.4?
    It does already it only changes the sound files none of the RTR stuff

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Shiga, do you mind if we normalize the speech volume for RTR? I just know I&#39;ll get tons of complaints about the quiet commands.

-Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

when is 3.0 going to be released?

i m looking foward to it very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast