Thread: Mass line infantry all you need?

Civis

Default Mass line infantry all you need?

Ok so my entire campaign as birtain all i've done is made line infantry and a few artillery for each army. Im 43 years into the campaign and not one army on the planet can stand an open field fight againts my troops. And there pretty good melee to. So is anyone else doing this and having it work fine?

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Mass line infantry all you need?

I have the same army set up The native americans, are a pain, with their cavalry, and I don't know how they do it, but they allways appear everywhere at one point.

I'd prefer them to march orderly slowly towards my ranks from 1 direction only.

As the Ducth, I tend to create 2 armies that I use in the same invasion. An army with 20 units of Sepoy or 20 units of soldiers trained in Flanders only, wich I order to attack the ennemy cavalry an artillery and nothing else, sure at least half of them die, but they also decimate the ennemies cavalry and artillery, next I bring in the real army, the Dutch army with men recruited in the Netherlands only. They have artillery, cavalry and Infantry and they can massacre the ennemies remaining infantry with their cannons and rank fire when the ennemy gets close.

this works great, Alltough I had to sacrifice 3 full stack sepoy armies and 1 Full stack Belgian army in Mysore before I could bring the Dutch army in

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    I have the same army set up The native americans, are a pain, with their cavalry, and I don't know how they do it, but they allways appear everywhere at one point.

I'd prefer them to march orderly slowly towards my ranks from 1 direction only.

As the Ducth, I tend to create 2 armies that I use in the same invasion. An army with 20 units of Sepoy or 20 units of soldiers trained in Flanders only, wich I order to attack the ennemy cavalry an artillery and nothing else, sure at least half of them die, but they also decimate the ennemies cavalry and artillery, next I bring in the real army, the Dutch army with men recruited in the Netherlands only. They have artillery, cavalry and Infantry and they can massacre the ennemies remaining infantry with their cannons and rank fire when the ennemy gets close.

this works great, Alltough I had to sacrifice 3 full stack sepoy armies and 1 Full stack Belgian army in Mysore before I could bring the Dutch army in
    1st off i'd like to let you no its extremely hard reading what you type while that monkey is humping the living outa the air over there.

Ne ways it works perfect for me. I have platoon fireing researched. Or rank fire. whatever one lets 3 lines of men shoot and it pwns calvery. Plus brittish line infantry have better melee then everyone else so that helps alot.

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by wicked21juggalo View Post
    Ok so my entire campaign as birtain all i've done is made line infantry and a few artillery for each army. Im 43 years into the campaign and not one army on the planet can stand an open field fight againts my troops. And there pretty good melee to. So is anyone else doing this and having it work fine?

A real player with cavalry would murder you.

Unfortunantly the AI is hardly real...

Mass infantry and some supporting artillery is, indeed, all you need to "win", if your goal is to simply take their town. However, infantry-based armies are almost totally ineffectual at stopping raiders, because a single surviving enemy is as effective as an entire stack, so even if you kill 90% of them, the 10% that escape alive will just come back and raid you some more next turn. Good line infantry are very effective at breaking anything that closes with them, but not so good killing them all DEAD.

Indefinitely Banned

same tactic mate, if cavalry dare attack me square formation and canisters deal with the fools. muhahaha, although i would never use this in multiplayer as a stratergy to win warfare

Quote Originally Posted by wicked21juggalo View Post
    as pointed out allready, this doesnt work too well against native americans.
    1) their bowmen outrange your line infantry
    2) their melee infantry is a royal pain in the bum
    3) lots and lots of cavalry that eventually will appear in your rear

and artillery tends to be rather ineffective against them since i think they can hide in most terrains.

besides, without cavalry to run them down chances are they will just retreat and be back for more a couple of turns later.