Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not actually destroying factions?

awisler's Avatar Senator

Default Not actually destroying factions?

Does anybody else find themselves doing this for some reason? In other TW games I didnt stop until i wiped a faction out, but for some reason in empire it seems I want every faction to stick around, but I shrink it down some. Maybe it is because most of my wars have been in Europe and I dont want my future battles for colonies to be against weaker factions but instead against its European owners.

Semisalis

Default Re: Not actually destroying factions?

Well, when I went to war with the two native factions near me in NA, I wanted to wipe them out completely as fast as I could so that some of their large stacks would dissappear. I really enjoyed destroying them.

well i think its because you want buffer states. its always good to have a weak neighbor that you can boss around and maybe use them as a shield against some of the bigger factions. or maybe you just want a punching bag. i don't know but i usually go for the kill if i can just my style

Not really to be honest, every new region means more money for my ever growing army, which i will have to move to india eventually to wipe add it to my empire.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by awisler View Post
    Does anybody else find themselves doing this for some reason? In other TW games I didnt stop until i wiped a faction out, but for some reason in empire it seems I want every faction to stick around, but I shrink it down some. Maybe it is because most of my wars have been in Europe and I dont want my future battles for colonies to be against weaker factions but instead against its European owners.
    For me I am trying to rush the Europeans with colonies so that the colonies can emerge cause those are cool.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I don't intend to wipe out any Major Faction and will try to make Protectorates of most Minor Factions that I fight. I absolutely hate the entire "paint the world my color" routine. I try as much as possible to roleplay my Faction and play with some self-restraint. I try not to do things that would not have been possible at the time.

Semisalis

Well, I still tend to wipe out all that stand in my way. Though I do go for peace settlements, if only to give my forces the time to re-enforce and also to garrison the towns and resources.
    When thats done, the war starts all over again.

I slay them as fast as I can because I play on VH/VH

I have to kill them outright. Otherwise they resort to terrorism. Poland (I am Prussia) ran about my lands burning farms and schools with single suicide units almost every turn. I offered peace and gifts. But all they wanted was war.

upsettingshorts's Avatar Senator

If I have achieved my usually limited and attainable goals, I try to make peace. I have no interest in expanding beyond my means and as such my infrastructure is always rock solid and I have excellent defense in depth. I expand slowly, but I never lose a territory after taking it.

Provided everything is going to plan. Early on things are more... perilous. (VH/VH)

Haven't played ETW yet, but when i play RTW, i often don't expand very quickly, very slowly in fact...

One of my favorate games was as Greece, i took Macedon and Thrace, and fought the Brutii and Scipii...I destroyed both of them, and SPQR, and slowly gave Italy back to the Julii(habit of mine to force the Romans to have only one faction, always the Red :p)

while doing that, I eventually gave Sicily to Carthage, to increase its strength, repelled Barbarians coming from the North, and fought Pontus and Egypt in the name of the Seleucids(who i would give any Middle-Eastern territory to, along with decent payments to ensure they do more then sit around, which they seem to love doing...)

anyway, in the end, I was Greece, with an undefeatable army, surronded by the boosted powers of Seleucids, Carthage, and Julii...fun game
    Sometimes I argue in favor of things i don't necessarily believe for the sake of a good argument. ( #51 )

And sometimes i argue in favor of things because i believe in my argument. ( #16 )

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

It's just not realistic.

I know TW is all about creating alternate histories, but for me, it has to still lay in the realm of possibilities; I just can't picture tiny little Netherlands controlling 20,000,000 subjects who speak another language, who have thousands of years of culture, etc (this is of course the Dutch-taking-Paris-on-Turn-2 scenario). Just would never happen in reality.

I wish it were like MTW where factions would reemerge...or is it? I haven't destroyed anybody yet

Quote Originally Posted by bballman21 View Post
    I wish it were like MTW where factions would reemerge...or is it? I haven't destroyed anybody yet
    They come back as rebels from time to time if you cant keep the population happy. Some do anyway. Like Poland I know does. But France has not....yet.

They DO reemerge. Morocco is back in my campaign, due to unrest and finally rebellion. (I got the message faction destroyed) By that I mean they auto-claimed Morocco, not just rebels roaming around.

Nice! So is there a faction limit...I'm confused by the various threads. Can factions only emerge once another dies, or can the number of factions exceed the number that the game starts with?

But you're saying that a faction that had a 'faction destroyed' message reappeared with the same flag and everything...awesome

Problem with not destroying, is there seems to be no other way onending the war with minor factions. I wish this game had force diplomacy!

On my GB campaign I let-up on France and Spain once I'd conquered their possessions and primary home regions, just because their navies were on my ass and their remaining territory had little value.

Guys how do i ask teams to become my vassals i cant find the option anywhere?!?!?! pls reply.
    when at war i only see a peace option.

In Medieval 2 I used to like to keep order in Europe, when a faction got too strong I would step in and weaken them, giving their land to the factions they've been weakening. I've not had chance to do this on Empire yet I'm still getting used to it, I'm sure I will though. I don't really enjoy destroying factions, I start missing them after they are gone. When I play as England I usually like to just stay within my lands and build them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast