Thread: Anyone playing as Turks?

Nuxes's Avatar Civis

Default Anyone playing as Turks?

I've already played through once as the French on VH/VH, and I just started a new game as the Ottomans. 10 turns in here's whats happened so far:
    -I made peace with the Russians
    -Established trade with GB, 13 Colonies, India
    -Morocco declared war on Barbary states and took over Algeria and Tunisa
    -Morocco is blocking my trade at Gibraltar
    -Georgia invaded and took over Armenia

Turkish weaknesses:
    -poor roads
    -poor industry, mines, and farms
    -empire is spread out
    -outdated units
    -almost no navy
    -everybody hates you

Turkish strengths:
    ??????

Anyone have any tips? France on VH was a cake-walk. The Georgians have European style armies that destroy my melee and militia gunpowder units.
    Last edited by Nuxes; March 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

Default Re: Anyone playing as Turks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxes View Post
    I've already played through once as the French on VH/VH, and I just started a new game as the Ottomans. 10 turn in here's whats happened so far:
    -I made peace with the Russians
    -Established trade with GB, 13 Colonies, India
    -Morocco declared war on Barbary states and took over Algeria and Tunisa
    -Morocco is blocking my trade at Gibraltar
    -Georgia invaded and took over Armenia

Turkish weaknesses:
    -poor roads
    -poor industry, mines, and farms
    -empire is spread out
    -outdated units
    -almost no navy
    -everybody hates you

Turkish strengths:
    ??????

Anyone have any tips? France on VH was a cake-walk. The Georgians have European style armies that destroy my melee and militia gunpowder units.
    I had to set difficulties to M/M, see the AAR forum for my Ottomans AAR.
    Once you get to Semenis you have no problem fighting enemies

- Ally Russia, Poland, etc [neighboring factions]. Or at least make them friendly with state gifts
    - Set up as much trade partners as you can
    - Build up your infrastructure[roads] and build a lot of income-producing-buildings
    - Do not blitz right away, attack when you are ready

= Gold makes the ETW world go round.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxes View Post

Build schools/colleges in Egypt, Rumelia and Palestine. Also, go kill those Moroccans. Your trade lanes are too important.

Otherside's Avatar Ordinarius

you think turkeys industry sucks you should try russia its taken forever just to get my economy up to a viable level to even think about taking on the turks.

Nuxes's Avatar Civis

Well, I finally beat the Georgians. This screenshot should explain how:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's pretty much what it looked like, just replace the zerglings with swordsman

Quote Originally Posted by Otherside View Post
    you think turkeys industry sucks you should try russia its taken forever just to get my economy up to a viable level to even think about taking on the turks.

On turn 20 i had like 30 thousand resources with a 12 thousand income as russia.

I found playing as ottomans its best to focus primarily on military research for your land based armies at the beginning. Try and take Kiev as fast as you can and then Russia will not want to fight you and will easily make peace. if you didn't lose Crimea give Kiev to them. They're really good to keep Russia occupied as well as Poland if they declare war on you. If you can do this quickly you can be in a great position to move all your military onto Georgia and Dagestan very swiftly. Giving you a nice secure home front for the most part.

I next went about researching firing drills/formations and some naval tech. Then went on to take morea from the venetians. Once you build up the navy. venice and moroccos forces are great target practice to get experience on. Also you might want to station some men near the barbary states capital in the event morrocco takes territory from them. 5 units and an organ gun will usually dissuade them from assaulting you if your near a barbary garrison.

At this point its usually good to start shoring up defenses on austria whatever happens. Theyll attack sooner or later unless they make a go for france or the other europeans. I went for persia with 2 armies and within 10 years they were gone and the wealth was flowing nicely. plus a school under my belt making 3. i put that one towards industry research to finally begin on my economy.

From here the worlds literally your oyster. Theres mainland europe, russia, india and the americas to choose from. I personally went for india and established a colony on its southern tip. The marathas will gladly give you tech for a peace deal if the mughals are still standing.

Hope that gives you some insight. The main thing is to take advantage of the ottomans ability to get large numbers of musketeers on the field at once early on. The israely troops arent the best but do well enough till you get the Janissary musketeers and grenadiers. And finally the riflemen which can make you unstoppable.
    Last edited by Alexandrov; March 09, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Turks like u said ( Ottomans ) have the best Altiriery

Primicerius

My advice with Ottomans: use a mix of peasants and Cemat Janissaries. Under a good general, massed peasant armies can do wonders against early line infantry... Just run them THROUGH the target (and then engage) not TO the target. For best results: do a double-line formation (with peasants). Run the first peasant line through, engage with the second line, then, engage with the line that just ran through the enemy: almost an instant rout (for the involved AI line). The key with peasants is to have a gen near-by to boost their morale (and accumulate gen. experience to boost even more morale).

Another thing with Ottomans that's critical at the start: port management

1. The trading port in Iraq: burn in on the first turn. Iran will declare war on the next turn or soon after. Ottomans will have no fleet to protect the trade from Iraq (a blockaded port results in trade income loss...). Burning the trade port, allows the trade route to revert to the Mediterranean (which Ottomans CAN protect). Build a fishery in Iraq: it will help with pop growth for the extra cities Iraq can have.

2. The trading port in Bosnia: don't burn it right away (having it allows getting an extra trade route through diplomacy), but be ready. Venetians will raid it soon and Ottomans should rather have a fleet ready by Morea than deep in the Adriatic...

3. The mil. port in Anatolia; burn it and convert into a trading port.

4. Syria has 2(!) fishing ports but no villages (to grow). Convert the port on the mainland into a trading port; the port on cyprus can become your military port (cannot trade from there).
    Last edited by Slaists; July 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Otherside View Post
    m?? Moscow is a super-province economy wise...