Thread: Good balanced army setup

Default Good balanced army setup

Whats your army setup when playing MP ?

I always buy 5 mortars and 3 rockets/calv (depends). then line infantry and some elite to defend flanks/support.

Default Re: Good balanced army setup

I'm still experimenting, but with Early era, Medium funds this is my current balanced army:
    2*Regiment of horse, 1*Light infantry, 1*Pikemen, 1*Grenadier 2*12lbs Foot Artillery, the rest filled with Line Infantry.

I'm going to start trying out an army with 2*Regiment of Horse, 3*Light Infantry, 1*Grenadier, 2*12lbs Foot Artillery and Line Infantry for the rest. I'm considering upping the number (and type) of cavalry at the cost of line infantry, to add more flexibility with regards to rushing enemy positions and such.

This army isn't ideal when it comes to dealing with rushing cavalry-heavy armies or the massed mortars, but it's flexible and balanced enough that it can deal with most things, and also offers quite a few options as far as tactics goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhad View Post
    Whats your army setup when playing MP ?

I always buy 5 mortars and 3 rockets/calv (depends). then line infantry and some elite to defend flanks/support.
    Oh how interesting your a COWARD CAMPER
    Intel 3.2 I7 Extreme6 GB DDR3 RAMSapphire Radeon x2 2GBAsus Pt Deluxe

British Empire: Total Inaccuracy
    All historical units belong to us!

My usual armis is early period Maratha.

2 Morter teams, 2-4 units of lancers, hindu sowrdsmen with 3-5 ranks of vet and the rest hindu muskets. Works very well.

I have been trying a fun build that consists of roughyly...
    5 line units, 3 rifles, 4-8 puckle guns and the rest as heavy cav. Maybe some horse art if i lose some puckles.

Tactic = Rush forward with rifles, stake the centre of the battlefield in a line, line infantry behind to shoot any flanking cav, pucklie guns in between the lines ot next tp units, then... open fire! its really fun, like a storm of bullets and puckelt gun shots, line units get mown down with amazing speed, this is not so good vs morters but good vs most others i have played.

I usually play as Austria with 4 mortars, 4 jaegers (the cheap ones), 5-6 line infantry, and 2-4 household cavalry depending on the money settings

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

As Prussia, I have 6 Line infantry, 5 Jaegers, 2 Guards, 4 Hussars, and maybe a howitzer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrdlight View Post
    My usual armis is early period Maratha.

2 Morter teams, 2-4 units of lancers, hindu sowrdsmen with 3-5 ranks of vet and the rest hindu muskets. Works very well.

I have been trying a fun build that consists of roughyly...
    5 line units, 3 rifles, 4-8 puckle guns and the rest as heavy cav. Maybe some horse art if i lose some puckles.

Tactic = Rush forward with rifles, stake the centre of the battlefield in a line, line infantry behind to shoot any flanking cav, pucklie guns in between the lines ot next tp units, then... open fire! its really fun, like a storm of bullets and puckelt gun shots, line units get mown down with amazing speed, this is not so good vs morters but good vs most others i have played.
    'Cept I swear puckle guns just don't work...

I tend to use any walls available if I need to go on the defensive. If I am against a mortar spammer I just try and get my units approaching in thin lines as spaced out as possible - that way it seems only the first and second line of foot get mangled by them on approach. With this tactic though you need to be beware of cavalry, which I counter with a charge of my own cavalry since charging the mortars hasnt worked for me yet, they are always covered by line infantry or skirmishers.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

bessus's Avatar Civis

I just use the standard setup :hmmm:seems okay to me.
    Last edited by bessus; March 10, 2009 at 01:41 AM.

French with 3 skirmisher and tons of line infantry 3 cav support and 2 to 4 arty depending on the rules. If i play prussian I take 1 more skimishers.