Thread: Modifying Units

Default Modifying Units

It's my understanding that you can't modify unit stats without using an upacker etc.

In other words - there's no way to inadvertently modify stats without using the mod tools?

I was looking around the folders - didn't seem to find any way to just change files like before.

Thanks. A quick answer would be appreciated.

Default Re: Modifying Units

anyone?

Nope, you can't. You need to unpack 'main.pack' then in the 'db' folder there's a folder called 'uni_stats_land' with the file you need to modify. Thing is, you'll need a hex editor to modify it - it's not a .txt file.

I took one look at the opened file in a hex editor and decided that editing the damn thing looked beyond my abilities, or at least my patience. Hopefullt CA will release tools so we can edit them more easily...

so there's absolutely no way to just open the Empire TW folder and start editing files?

It needs an unpacker and hex?

Right now, yes - thats the only way. To fully decompile it we need the SDK or some rather expensive professional packing tools.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

That's good and bad I guess.

Good because we're all on the same patch (b/c of Steam) and good because we're all playing with the same files, same units etc.

Bad for the mod community I'd imagine.

Can anyone confirm that this is the way things are? Files are what they are, unless you use the unpacker? In otherwords - it requires some knowledge to modify your files?

No, that isn't a banana

At this time, that is correct. Until a tool is released or developed, it is what it is.

Thanks for the replies.

I was worried that in looking around the folders I might have edited a .txt file and not remembered in the morning.

Doesn't even sound possible considering it's not a .txt, as you guys say.

You haven't broken your game have you?

Anyway, if things go too awry Steam can verify your installation and replace anything that doesn't look right. Worked for me when I broke my game by modifying patch.pack without backing it up.

And editing files isn't too difficult at the moment, it's just that that's about all you can do - modify values that are already there. From what I gather, trying to create a new unit would be next to impossible. But altering the ones that are already there is quite doable, even for someone like myself who has a very basic grasp of hex ... with a bit of trial and error.

I'm off to make those Death's Head Hussars worth their 1240 asking price...

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    You haven't broken your game have you?

Anyway, if things go too awry Steam can verify your installation and replace anything that doesn't look right. Worked for me when I broke my game by modifying patch.pack without backing it up.

And editing files isn't too difficult at the moment, it's just that that's about all you can do - modify values that are already there. From what I gather, trying to create a new unit would be next to impossible. But altering the ones that are already there is quite doable, even for someone like myself who has a very basic grasp of hex ... with a bit of trial and error.

I'm off to make those Death's Head Hussars worth their 1240 asking price...
    No, I checked...every file has the same date/time as when I installed it. I looked around too - There's nothing there I could have figured out how to edit lol.

For future reference, how do I get Steam to verify the game? This will undo any changes made to it? As in, if you did modify your game and then verified it, it would undo it?

Thanks

edit: I think I found where Steam verifies the game...still wondering how it works though. Would it overwrite/undo edits to units for example?
    Last edited by ArtillerySmoke; March 10, 2009 at 11:59 AM.