Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Faction?

gdm3's Avatar Civis

I like the Scottish in any era

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Back when I played Medieval Total War. My favorite faction was the Byzantine Empire. They are my favorite area of history during that time period.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Whan I play Medieval I like to play as either the English or the HRE. And sometimes Poland as the ultimate underdogs...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Patrick_B@teman's Avatar Civis

English all the way. Capture Wales and get training the Longbowmen. Then you're sorted against all the French can throw at you...
    Hey, PAUL!!!!

Byzantines and English

As England I built an army of 10 longbowmen, one of my princes, 1 fuedal men at arms, and 4 fuedal knights, they kicked some serious as*

Byzantines just because of the strong units they get, Vangrian Guard and Katas can wipe out almost anything, and since you can get Vangrians in the early period.. *smoking*

For MTW it would have to be the Byzantines, Napoleonic Total War; The Prussians, and for Rome Total War it would be the Seleucids.
    Give unto the king what is the king's, and unto God what is God's.
    -German Proverb
    Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Kaiser!

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've recently started playing as the Byzantines in the early era, with the win conditions as "glorious achievments"...
    weird thing is...none of the glorious achievements have anything to do with Reuniting Rome. It's just homelands and conquests.
    But, I'm doing it anyway. I've conquered the hungarians & now i'm on the way of whupping the polish. I own rome & all of the italian penisula & sicily, as well as Bohemia, Austria, Bavaria, & Swabia. I'm on the way of conquering Franconia & Burgundy.

I'm basically...reuniting the Roman Empires.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiachdubh
    In VI the Irish, at first the lack of archers drove me mad but once learned to use the Kerns, Dartmen and Bonnochts they are just great fun, VI in generall just seems more brutal and dirty then main campaigns. In the original campaigns Im looking forward to playing as the Hospitallers or Crusaders once Ive finished the early era XL with the Irish. Far more enjoyable then Rome.
    In the the VI expack, I like playing as the ultimate underdogs: the rebels.
    Cool thing, too. Because the rebs don't have a king or a dynasty so to speak...you can't be destroyed unless yer enemies destroy you utterly. And, cool thing too, if you're the rebels, you literally have some territory in every corner of the map, so you can pretty much spring from anywhere after you gather a huge enough army, which I've done as the rebels.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Byzantine Empire my fav never played them though.. its just because there empire is cool in a cool area and has to hold out aganst tons of turks and muslims and also its cool because there like in the decline stage of there empire in my games they awlays egypt or them take the turks and then litteraly a 100 year war insues between the byzantines and egypt (egypt wins) but its still cool the egyptians prob win cuz everyone declares war on the byazntines... anyways

someone said that poland is the ultimate underdog faction i dont think so there pretty good and usally become a power (in my games when i dont use them) that rival the HRE the true underdogs are the aragonesse or something i cant even unite spain before the rebels and almohads tear my fragile miltary apart oh and then the spanish betray meh...damn spanish

Tiro

The Byzantines rule!

None is there in the Medieval or Roman times,

nor in antiquity

that can compare to the imperial might and glory that they held,

or to the ruthless backbiting and assasination,

or to the tide of foes that ever and anon stood at their borders,

threatening to tear power from the arm,

health from the body,

and freedom from the leg.

Long they ruled, long they stood,

long they fought, slowly they died.

What words of praise can be matched to their deeds?

The Byzantines, the eternal victors,

The defiers of foes, the kinderers of hope.

The wielders of wealth unmatched,

The leaders of the heirs of the Legions.

The rulers of New Roma,

Who sat on the crossroads of the world.

What words of praise can be matched to their deeds?

The Byzantines, the eternal victors...

Hail to thee!

A little impromptu, romantic poem I wrote on the spot. As you can see, I like playing the Byzantines a lot. Time and again would I change history, time and again would I lead the Eagle forth again. I don't seem to get bored with it! A truly excellent people and faction. I hope we see them in RTW: BI...

If you haven't yet tried playing them, try it with the XL mod!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    -Herbert Spencer

The rebels are just plain FUN to play as if you want a challenge.
    And, since they dont have a "leader" or "royalty", they cant go extinct like that.

Just type .conan.

how do you bring up the thing to issue cheats so i can use conan like RTW its ` and its called romeshelt or w/e how do i do that on MTW

In my opinion english are the best (homeland security, billmen an longbomen) but as they are the best they are not fun to play.
    Ahlomad are very good too, the urban milicia is equivalent to chivalric men at arms (a little less powerfull but moving faster), the same way as the english it's too easy to have fun.
    Italie and spain are great, very rich with the mediterranée and good units.
    I love Poland, that promise very hard time and the polish retainers are a very good compromise between heavy cavalry and monted sergeant.
    Aragonese are marvelous (high period), with the proximity of the alhomad you have to act very carrefully, and one time is not the rule, to survive and win, you must not have an aliance with the stronger because you are the next on his list. Spain is a good ally, attack the ahlomad they will follow, let them fight, give them a hand if it's needed but leave there the province as they will have to face the comming back in a deseperate battle. Now it's your turn don't forget to kill them all !!! (ahlomad first)
    Turkish are very nice too but the good soldiers comes too late, the game is already decided, anyway there is no decisive chock cavalry to turnover a battle...
    Egyptian are too rich, sicilians too rich, byzentine too rich (difficult anyway as the armies become quickly obsolettes, but it's boring to fight with weak army, never get the vertus "expert risky attacks" or "expert last stand").
    France, Allemagne are great, allways in fight with somebody.
    I have to try russian, I don't like their armies, but that must be really really hard with a poor country, poor armies and golden horde to face mais comme qui dirait:A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Aragon, Sicily, Denmark or Spain. Small factions, on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    how do you bring up the thing to issue cheats so i can use conan like RTW its ` and its called romeshelt or w/e how do i do that on MTW
    Just select one of your provinces and type in the cheat. You don't even have to hit "enter", just type .conan. for the rebel cheat for example, or .deadringer. for the money cheat. That's all you have to do.

Laetus

my favorite factions are the Turkish, the Byzantines, and the English. the English because i don't like the French very much; the Turkish and Byzantines because of their sweet units

I prefer the Russians overall. Their Steppe Calvary is a great advantage when you get to play them. The Homads are fun too.

Hungary yo. First succesful campgin. Though wasn't succesful really. I manged to control all of italy austria hungary to constonpole greece and in russia to peresyaval. In the late time of my empire I pulled out of italy except for venice. And my empire was crippled with mercanrys trying to stop the tides of an EXTREMELY succesful goldern horde. They killed mighty egypt in 2 turns.. Anyways they were quite fun AND the HRE managed to survive (allied) the whole game. 1/3 of afirca (Alomhad half) spain they would say take valenica then invade castille but form castille they would take valenica and back n forth. That was pretty much it. Oh and I knocked Byzantuim outa Eruope so fast 1120 but they survived 120 more years with only the nicea/trezbond area. Goldhorde got em. At time (bout 1218 and 1230) they even made attempts to retake constonpole!! Anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    Byzantine Empire my fav never played them though.. its just because there empire is cool in a cool area and has to hold out aganst tons of turks and muslims and also its cool because there like in the decline stage of there empire in my games they awlays egypt or them take the turks and then litteraly a 100 year war insues between the byzantines and egypt (egypt wins) but its still cool the egyptians prob win cuz everyone declares war on the byazntines... anyways

someone said that poland is the ultimate underdog faction i dont think so there pretty good and usally become a power (in my games when i dont use them) that rival the HRE the true underdogs are the aragonesse or something i cant even unite spain before the rebels and almohads tear my fragile miltary apart oh and then the spanish betray meh...damn spanish
    Holy this thread is damned old. Still stands though byznatin/hungary can't dicide.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Wow, I forgot how much I used to love this game. Months upon months of RTW can really lower your expectations. MTW (with XL mod) used to be my favorite game ever. The Golden Horde is probably my favorite. There horse archer raids are devastating coupled with a massive cavalry charge can break almost any army.
    Also, Its the only faction in the game that actually could have easily taken over Europe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast