Thread: So......

Default So......

What is this game. I hear so much about it, but I have never heard of it. Someone fill me in on this game please.

Default Re: So......

mount and blade is like tw. i got this game because it was like total war except you actually fight alongside your soldiers. you can join a faction. siege castles etc. this game is really good in fact better than total war once you get used to it. in fact just to show you what i mean heres a few screen shots.

in vanilla gameplay there is 5 faction loosely based on actual countries. kingdom of swadia. vageirs, nords, rhodocks, and khergits. you can do claimant quest to become king of those kingdoms. in some mods they let you be your own kingdom.
    Last edited by newromansc; March 08, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Ron Burgundy?'s Avatar Decanus

I just got the game last week and I love it so far. Yeah the graphics aren't great, but the gameplay is fun and addictive. The best feature I'd say is the endless amounts of mods available.
    I ordered it on Amazon for 8 bucks so there is little to loose if you don't care for it.

Although Celcius, this post in the M&B mod section confuses me:

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    Crusader Kings is pretty good. You can be a King, Count or Duke. Dukes have Counts. Kings have Dukes and Counts. And Counts are just their. You would like it.

-Celsius
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy?; March 08, 2009 at 09:10 PM.

I think I might have to get it.

And that post was when someone was asking for a game of somesort. Just nevermind it

So do you get to actual be, customize, and play as a single person with alot of NPC's?

Ron Burgundy?'s Avatar Decanus

Yes, I believe in the vanilla version the max battle size is 100 but there is a mod available to increase it to 1000. The battles are fun ( I personally listen to Conan the Barbarian ) Melee combat was quick to learn, yet, at least for me,there's a learning curve for mounted combat.

I recommend checking out the posted video thread (Fan Movies) before buying to see if it's your cup o tea.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy?; March 08, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Mount & Blade is sometimes referred to as a medieval combat simulator. And it's 'held together' by a free roaming world with diplomatic interactions with NPC's. The RPG elements are not that extensive and might compare the gameplay to the classic Pirates! (by Sid Meyer):
    An overland map where you move your party around engaging opponents, traveling to towns, villages, castles and doing quests.
    And then there are the battles in 1./3. person where M&B is superior when it comes to realistic mechanics.
    Horseback fighting is in a class of its own. Forget about the 'goats' in Oblivion or Gun. You'll feel like actually riding a horse, killing people at high speed.

An expansion has been announced, with improved AI, multiplayer and better graphics, so you can expect the game to become better.

The negative sides of the game is (IMO) the limited/repetitive amount of quests (about 30-40 in total), a not too intelligent AI (but still decent) and a small world with limited opportunities.
    The graphics might be outdated, but they are still impressive to an indie game, and many mods improve on this.

I'd say anyone interested in innovation within gaming should at least try the demo - remember you can download the full game as demo, but with a level cap - and experience the gameplay mechanics.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

this game is simple and basic. whats making it special is that its streight from the underground and its addicting gameplay. you will play it for many hours, try different mods and love it. then u will get sick of it and leave it alone. but you will always come back and play it again after a while.

Take a few different provinces belonging to different kingdoms from Total War, place yourself right down in the middle of it with a horse a blade and or a bow if that's your preference and then try to work your way to the top. You can either align with a faction or become like those rebels in TW.

But there's a whole lot more and it's practically a must to play mods because the game has so many great ones.

I think I will get this game. $12 on Amazon

Best 12$ you'll ever spend
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

man now it's going down in price!? I must have hit a record for paying the most for this game three times in a row!