Thread: Weird Technologies

Default Weird Technologies

Playing as ottomans now, I want it to stay an absolute, unenlightened monarchy for rolepleying total control, I look at technologies, and for some reason I do need the "human rights" technology to build better schools, any reason why? For me it does not make sense at all.

Default Re: Weird Technologies

soviet school system was spectacular, but they didnt really have human rights.. thr not related

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Its social determinism IMHO. Modern societies can not even dream of alternate political societies can actually thrive without democracy.
    I agree this is a bit stupid. No matter how well I behave as a Monarch I will be doomed to lazy and stupid people under me. If anything the last century has shown us is that dictatorships are equally capable of producing the most advanced type of tech. Under the current game rules Stalin would have never been able to research soviet era type of know-how because he lacked the correct political system.

If I play 1700-1800 I would like to be able to play an Absolute Monarch without all this artificial stop gap on my diverse research.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Does researching the techs actually change your government? Having the knowledge of the concepts of, for example, the seperation of powers, and actually IMPLEMENTING those concepts, are two different things.

Other than that, people just get angry because they realize they're being oppressed, you just have to exert more control and keep people happy.

The techs increase the clamor for reform which can lead to a revolution over time. I played as the dutch and after 40 years the populace in my capital was still way too happy for me to think there might be any form of revolt.

Well that was boring so i destroyed the inns/theaters and built schools while raising the taxes. Still took another 5 turns but I finally got the revolution that I was looking for.

Guess what I am saying is that with proper management you can still research lots of tech without having your citizens revolt on you as a monarchy.