Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Combat

Default Naval Combat

It seems im not that great at naval combat, i downloaded the demo and tried at least 5 times and only beat it once.Which was luck.

I have great success with land combat though, but naval is meh.

Mind giving me any tactics or tips?

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Naval Combat

Keep an eye on which way the wind is blowing, i.e. can increase/slow speed of ships.

When possible, use your broadside cannons (manual fire from one side), higher damage.
    Unleash the whirlwind of our wrath. Our guns never tire.
    And we have beaten back the foe. Send them running!

Quote Originally Posted by Xugaa View Post
    When possible, use your broadside cannons (manual fire from one side), higher damage.
    it's the same damage provided all the balls hit on both occasions. manual broadsides just release all at once, so it's more devastating to morale than a gradual fire.

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggans View Post
    it's the same damage provided all the balls hit on both occasions. manual broadsides just release all at once, so it's more devastating to morale than a gradual fire.
    Ah ok thanks, tutorial guy was a bit vague

Sinking the admiral is nice.

Manouverable ships should use both sides to shoot: turn right, turn left, etc...

Grapeshot a ship a few times and she'll probably surrender.

Never try to board a ship with more than 3 canons facing the side you'll board

Grapeshot just before boarding

When you are winning, use the chains to immobilise the ships, then grapeshot them out of their fire lines, then board. This will compensate the losses you suffered (in campaign)

If there is a verry big ship frightening you, chain it then move out of the area when he is sufficiently slowed down, so one major threat will be out of action. For now. and you'll be able to take it later.

Always be careful of the wind.
    You can take a bigger advantage from the wind to move faster/slower with the menu on the right, and opening/closing your (big white pieces of cloth, forgot the name)
    In FRAY's alpha
    "When one dies, it is a tragedy. When a million die, it is a statistic."
    -The mods, try them all!-

Ok, so how do i know where the wind is blowing?I couldnt do the tutorial cause when it said to doubleclick to center, i do and it keeps telling me to do it again

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Moorehouse View Post
    Ok, so how do i know where the wind is blowing?I couldnt do the tutorial cause when it said to doubleclick to center, i do and it keeps telling me to do it again
    Were you left clicking on the unit portrait?

I'm not sure if there is actually a indicator (probably is ), but I tend to go by the flag on the back of the ship.

Were you left clicking on the unit portrait?

I'm not sure if there is actually a indicator (probably is ), but I tend to go by the flag on the back of the ship.
    Yep, i even see it move back to the ship

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Moorehouse View Post
    Yep, i even see it move back to the ship
    Hmm, that's odd... sorry not sure :hmmm:

Also I think the sails appear to 'push out' (with the wind) or 'fall inward' (against the wind) depending on the wind direction if you get what I mean.

I'm really disappointed about how pointless wind direction is in this game. I'm going with the wind and the enemy ship is sailing into the wind. We cross, exchange broadsides, then I start maneuvering to get into place for a nice stern shot. The enemy ship maneuvers just as fast (if not faster) than mine, even though he's got absolutely no wind in his sails...

All wind direction does is reduce speed, it doesn't effect your maneuverability in the least. So no matter how much of a tactical genius you are, you'll never be able to set yourself up for a good shot vs. an AI ship because they'll just keep pivoting their ship around one point to face you, even if it's dead in the water. Speaking of dead in water, I cannot seem to get chain shot to work fast enough for it to be worth it.

Hmm, that's odd... sorry not sure :hmmm:

Also I think the sails appear to 'push out' (with the wind) or 'fall inward' (against the wind) depending on the wind direction if you get what I mean.
    Yep, i even restarted and it wouldnt work

So is that all XD

haha, the wind indicator is pretty obvious. it's smack dab in the center of the radar map.

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

there are several other threads about naval tactics that i've posted in extensively. If you'd like some tips, read over those and then feel free to ask any questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzilla View Post
    there are several other threads about naval tactics that i've posted in extensively. If you'd like some tips, read over those and then feel free to ask any questions there.
    beat me to saying it jay

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Fulvius View Post
    beat me to saying it jay
    not that I don't like a good discussion of naval tactics, but it gets annoying saying the same thing 3 times over. Here, i'll link ya to make it easier.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233651

Why is it that every ship can turn at the same speed?

you try and get behind a big slow ship of the line with a frigate, and he keeps turning and broadsiding you at point blank.

That needs to be fixed, IMHO, turning radii should be much wider for all ships, and turning into the wind should be damn hard.

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggans View Post
    haha, the wind indicator is pretty obvious. it's smack dab in the center of the radar map.
    Haha, for some reason I was thinking that was pointing north - but now I think about it, what use would that be?! lol

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote07 View Post
    Why is it that every ship can turn at the same speed?

you try and get behind a big slow ship of the line with a frigate, and he keeps turning and broadsiding you at point blank.

That needs to be fixed, IMHO, turning radii should be much wider for all ships, and turning into the wind should be damn hard.
    You can pretty much get ships to turn on the spot, which even for your own ships is somewhat lame imo.

I usually prefer to board ships, but I usually loose. What can I do so my men will win? (Besides firing grape shot of course)
    Sophisticated dragon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast